Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Midrange Mobile Phone
  • butcher

I know this topic comes up once in a while, but I thought it would be fun to start another…

Currently have an early Moto E. 2Gb capacity is a friggin’ nightmare, but otherwise fine.

Not that fussed about having the latest tech, or the equivalent of an expensive watch.

However, Virgin have changed their PAYG tarrifs, and they can be a bit of a nightmare too.

Things is, for the same money I’m paying, and how much the phone cost me (which wasn’t even a lot), I could have something like an iPhone 5s on contract with the same allowances. So I’m thinking that is maybe the way to go.

Now I’m not a big Apple fan normally, but I did have an iPod Touch, and compared to my android phone it was sublime. I’m just wondering what’s decent. Does anything really compare to the iPhone? And are there any good deals about, roughly £20ish per month, though happily go lower? What’s hot?

I know there’s always a lot og talk about the Moto G, but is it not just a Moto E with a bit more umph?

Edit: And is it ever cheaper to buy the phone outright?

whatgoesup

Maybe this will help if you can buy the phone outright.I’m a stingy tech head wanna-be early adopter I’m always torn with this sort of thing, but maybe the approach can help.

Thanks to yesterdays ebay 20% off deal I’ve just ordered a phone to replace my Moto G.

Phone = Galaxy S6 dual SIM – Brand New (i.e. a last-but-one generation high end phone not even available in the UK)
    Phone cost = GBP327 (plenty of cheaper phones than this out there!)
    Network cost = GBP10 per month (vodafone PAYG, 500mb data – other options out there of course)

Equivalent cost of a 24 month contract = GBP23.63/month assuming no “upfront” costs. So, for just a smidge over your budget you can have a pretty damned nice phone.

Once you dial this back to a “mid range” phone this will fall to way less than your budget of GBP20/month.

BTW – if you want to buy a dual-sim MotoG give me a shout!

whatgoesup

Ignore my previous advice. I’m questioning my logic and may consider returning the ebay phone!

Uswitch.com have some stomping deals for this same phone – e.g. 281 upfront then 7 per month afterwards.

I personally really value the dual-sim capability as I’ve a work and personal phone that I like to combine into one, plus only vodafone works in my house but without those limitations

Deals

timber

Have a look for wileyfox as a Moto alternative. They are a new British company headed by former Motorola boss. Friend just got one and it looks pretty impressive for the money. Probably not on any packaged contracts though.

whatgoesup

PePPeR

I use LG phones, generally half the price of the equivalent Samsung or iPhone.

At the moment I’m using a Gflex 2,not everyone’s cup of tea, but the flexible screen, and self healing back mean I’ve a phone that’s lasted more than six months without cracking or looking like it’s 5 years old!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Edit: And is it ever cheaper to buy the phone outright?

Really just depends on the deals, how long you’ll keep the phone and how much you’ll use of the contract bundle.

I make virtually no calls, send no texts, just receive some and use a pile of data. For me a budget SIM only contract or PAYG and then pay outright for a phone that isn’t brand new so reasonable price and usually cheaper than a monthly subsidised contract.

There’s more to it than that for me though. I hate locked down phones with tonnes of operator bloatware. SIM free for me.

Anyway, midrange – considered Windows Phone? Some damn good Lumias out there, and very cheap for the spec you get. Damn good cameras. They do everything you need as a phone and if you aren’t fussed about having all the apps, it’ll likely do most of the standard apps or there’s an alternative. Battery life will also be awesome compared to Android, at least without having to have a monster sized brick to accommodate the battery needed for modern Android. Windows 10 on mobile is actually looking quite nice too.

RustyNissanPrairie

As above – been a long time user of Windows phones/Nokia from £60 jobbies to my current top spec 930. The budget ones are amazing value for money – expandable, decent cameras, and replaceable covers.

The only problem was that windows mobile 8.1 was clunky compared to apple but thats changed with windows 10 – its really impressive!

dannybgoode

Standby battery life on Windows Phone is insane. I have one as a back up and charge it once every 5 or 6 days.

If you want Android a good secondhand Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Nothing mid range about the specs at all. Brilliant phone with good battery life.

If you want a full size phone again a good secondhand LG G4 can be had for reasonable money. Great phone.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bought my iphone 6 outright. I worked out it was cheaper over 2 years and I have the flex of changing when I want and have an Apple unlocked phone to sell when I want – note looking at the residual valie of the phone changes the calculations a lot. My Three contract is £18pm (12 months, now rolling 1 month) unlimited everything, free 4G and all included in Europe too.

OP I am an Apple fan so I’d say get the new 5SE – fast internal processor just a smaller screen than 6/6S – look at outright assume you can sell for £150+ after 2 years – or get it on a contract. Screen size depends on your eyesight and how much web browsing / stw posting you want to do !

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bought the wife a Moto X Play and she is happy with it – great battery life, quick, better camera than my Z3 compact it seems.

Check out the reviews on Amazon – some people seem to prefer it to their S6s and iphones.

richardkennerley

I’ve just bought the 3rd gen moto g. There’s a couple of voucher codes to knock some money off available at the moment. I got the 16gb version for £150 (you can design some aspects of it yourself on the website.) The 8gb version comes in at £120 with the vouchers. Combine that with a cheap sim only deal and you’re laughing.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Lumia phones are great value and if the could only match android and apple for apps they would be winners.

chestrockwell

Another vote for Windows/Nokia. I’m on an old iphone after spilling water on my Nokia (submerged all night yet nearly came back to life!) and really miss it. Great bits of kit for the money.

matt_outandabout

I just got a Moto G 3rd gen, 16gb but the new set up allows the SD card as internal memory, on 500mins & text + 2gb data for £8.50/24mth…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Midrange Mobile Phone’ is closed to new replies.