Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Midi piano, recommendations?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So, I’m teaching myself the Piano, Well key type synthy mentalness rather and drums and stuff, but I want a proper piano key board with a usb connections.

I don’t want any other functions really, I’ve just bought a novation impulse 25, which is good in it’s portability and functions (the keys aren’t bad but I want more and properly weighted keys). Midi controllers are something I want separate as I reckon I’ll buy a few. I want a nice keyboard to learn Piano on properly.

Any recommendations? For a pure keyboard with usb connection and no other particular features apart from a quality piano like feel.

And what budget do I need to start at to get the above? looking at a 61 or 49.

Cheapness would also be a good factor, but not utterly crucial. (Would consider chinese imports if anyone knows anything about them?)

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I’ve got an M-Audio MIDI keyboard with weighted keys that I bought for that very reason. Didn’t work for me, sticking with guitars. I can dig it out if you’re interested – no packaging, manuals or anything. Your profile says Weegieland, I’ll be passing through in a couple of weeks if you want to try it out.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Would you not be better buying a second-hand electric piano, with a proper keyboard? I’ve seen them for mental prices on Gumtree, etc- eg- I’m looking at our 15 year old Technics EP, proper action- £40, last year.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool, that sounds interesting, I’ll google older stuff, more recommendations like that is just the ticket. I just plugged and older 1980s keyboard in and it worked, so I know older stuff will do exactly what I need, dunno why I didn’t think of that! Though I do think I’d like just a keyboard, not something that’s going to take up too much space, something I can fit on a desk.

Chubb, cheers I apprciate that, I’m after as high a quality key board as possible. I’d rather stay away from controller companies like m-audio and the likes. Bur cheers aw the same. 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

You’re in Scotland somewhere are you not seosamh?

Something like this in Edinburgh:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/electric-keyboards/88-key-midi-keyboard/1131662560

Yeah, from m-audio, but an excellent weighted controller.

I’ll keep the eye out for pianos.

spchantler
    Free Member

I’ve used older electric pianos before, the keyboard detatches from the base, just put the pedals on the floor. You might struggle with a usb tho they should all use midi

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool cheers, i’ll keep it in mind, tbh, i wouldn’t really know much about m-audio mind, i guess i just assume they aren’t great for whatever reason.

i’m in no great hurry though so just trying to build up a picture of whats available before i get something, mind fully weighed for 80 quid sounds the ticket!

ps, midi would be fine. 🙂

leffeboy

Can’t advise on make much, but if you want to learn piano ‘properly’ then you might want to move up from 61 keys. The folks I know that have been learning piano have found that the number of keys has been a limitation faster than the quality of their keyboard, and that was after only a few years of learning

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Midi piano, recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.