Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Microsoft to buy Minecraft…
  • the-muffin-man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29142975

I wonder how they propose to screw Minecraft up then!

They’ll probably stop third parties hosting servers (all servers have to be through them and at a higher cost!).

And what is in it for Microsoft financially – surely Minecraft is at a peak right now, and the only way is down over the next 3-4 years. $2bn is a lot of money to recoup.

robware
    Free Member

It so far looks like an unsubstantiated rumour.

martinhutch

Very smart move by Mojang if it is true.

Drac

Well they sold it, not a bad sum for something he did as a bit of fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29204518

MoreCashThanDash

I see stuff MS keep buying, and I see what they pay for it, and I wonder exactly what planet they are on….

andytherocketeer

the planet where taking a brand off the market means your competition can’t benefit from it?

and to have something to sell on the surface?

DezB
    Free Member

How does this news effect us grown-ups?

footflaps

Time to start shorting MS stock….

jon1973
    Free Member

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/brittassert/vic_bob_handbags_zpsd74e25e2.jpg[/img]

the-muffin-man

If you have children you’ve got to keep up to speed with this sort of thing – the fall-out of any changes can be catastrophic to an 11yr old girl!!! 😀

stumpyjon

Another monolithic corporation paying to get on the band wagon way too late.

Drac

Well it doesn’t really effect us very much, unless you a video game fan as what is a game that get free upgrades and mods you may have to start paying for. Now go and play on you bike with the other kids.

simon_g

I see stuff MS keep buying, and I see what they pay for it, and I wonder exactly what planet they are on….

Lots of off-shore cash that is too expensive (tax-wise) to get back to the US. If it’s a European company though, they can spend it quite freely. See also Skype, Nokia and plenty of smaller ones.

Minecraft has sold 54 million copies and growing. It’s across all platforms (as many of Microsoft’s offerings are these days). It’s a great way to ensure that xbox is the best platform to play it on, or at least get the mindshare of a generation growing up with it.

Good payday for notch though.

tinribz
    Free Member

garage-dweller

^^^^ 😆 also sadly true?

Drac

Ha!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The amount of money spent by some of the big tech companies in the last couple of years has been crazy – minecraft, beats, instagram, nest labs, whatsapp (i still cant get over the $19 billion for whatsapp) and the valuations on the likes of uber, snapchat, buzzfeed etc surely suggests another tech bubble.

takisawa2

Stampylongnose won’t let them

Said my 7yr old, when I broke this news to him.
    Bloody Minecraft, if they’ve not commandeered the TV their watching videos of Stampy’s lovely world.
    😐

Northwind

If I was Notch, I’d be launching a hostile takeover of Bethesda right now…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Microsoft to buy Minecraft…’ is closed to new replies.