Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mhairi Black's maiden speech
  • footflaps
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good speech, pity most of the rest couldn’t be bothered to got to work to listen to it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

She’s great. It was interesting to see how she silenced her critics when they learned that, like they had done, she was doing a degree in Politics, and got a first of course.

richmtb

Yep very impressive for a 20 year old. Particularly liked the point that she is the only 20 year old in the country who gets support to pay for housing

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I loved the clapping at the end. 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

It is rather telling that she can’t tell the difference between living off welfare and having a job.

Oh, and unless the state has gone and got itself a paper round, it is taxpayers that subsidise her housing.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It is rather telling that she can’t tell the difference between living off welfare and having a job.

Care to expand on this?

footflaps

Care to expand on this?

dannybgoode

@nobeer. Don’t forget when mp’s aren’t at Westminster it does not mean they’re not working. They’re generally in their constituencies giving surgeries etc…

footflaps

They’re generally in their constituencies giving surgeries etc…

Possibly the Labour ones, I guess the Tories will be visiting S&M parlours etc or hunting disabled people on horseback.

scotroutes

Surely putting the disabled people on horseback would make them too difficult to hunt.

cranberry
    Free Member

Care to expand on this?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@nobeer. Don’t forget when mp’s aren’t at Westminster it does not mean they’re not working. They’re generally in their constituencies giving surgeries etc…

Aye, very good. Have you considered a stand up slot at the Apollo?. 😀

binners

A lesson to the labour front bench in what a real life opposition politician looks like, and what it is they’re actually meant to do.

footflaps

Surely putting the disabled people on horseback would make them too difficult to hunt.

Not really, they just fall off at the first fence and then get shot or torn apart by a pack of no more than two dogs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They’re generally in their constituencies giving surgeries etc…

Our tory mp is awesome (andrew jones, Harrogate) he goes round checking school dinners & stuff, although I don’t think he’s ever checked out A&E in HDH on a Saturday night or popped down the seg at Wetherby YOI when some scrote’s are shitting up, oh no siree, our andy wouldn’t want to get his hands dirty or his nose full of nasty smells, being a tory. (notice how I don’t give him the respect for even capital letters for his name)

Mhairi Black’s speech was pretty good IMO.

crankboy
    Free Member

Cranberry I don’t get your point how does she fail to see the difference between living off the state and having a job? In the real world a significant proportion of employed people also receive state benefits including housing benefit.

kimbers

cranberry – Member

??? the in work housing benefit bill has doubled in the last 5 years, 5bn a year I think?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Perhaps, and I realise it’s stretching the reality a bit so just perhaps, there are more unemployed people than there are jobs in her part of the world.

The jobs near me mostly seem to be in personal care and such.

Even Guido Fawkes was impressed.

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, she was very good. Quoting Tony Benn at the modern Labour Party is just going to go in one ear and out the other, though.

globalti
    Free Member

Wow! She’s a good orator. I look forward to enjoying her speeches in future years. I wonder if she does retirement parties?

wwaswas

the in work housing benefit bill has doubled in the last 5 years, 5bn a year I think?

don’t you come on here refuting cranberry’s point by having actual facts available!

You’ll be saying next that the State doesn’t tax all of people’s income so that those on low wages get to keep more of what they earn 🙄

footflaps

Aye, she was very good. Quoting Tony Benn at the modern Labour Party is just going to go in one ear and out the other, though.

Esp given Harriet Harman is busy backing IDS’s hunting poor/disabled people on horseback bill.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I can’t help but thinking that she’s only just getting started and warming up.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A good speech, well delivered. A talented orator for sure. But ultimately a waste of time quoting many problems, which have all been said before, with nothing to offer by way of sensible solutions or suggestions.

footflaps

I don’t know, understanding what the problem is, is the first step. Most of the Tories think the problem is that the poor have too much money.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I don’t know, understanding what the problem is, is the first step. Most of the Tories think the problem is that the poor have too much money.

No, most of the tories think that the poor have too much of their money.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mhairi Black's maiden speech’ is closed to new replies.