Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Messenger/courier bags – recommendations
  • sprootlet
    Free Member

My Crumpler sticky date looks like it’s on its last legs after about a decade of abuse.
    The extra strap to keep it in place is essential in the next bag and I need a similar size as I have to take uniform to work. My current one is about 45cm by 34cm.
    Who’s got what and would you recommend it?
    Please don’t suggest panniers….they are not going happen.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mission Workshop. Top £, but top quality.
    Chrome very good too, not as expensive as MW.
    Bugaboo – great kit, all completely bespoke. Not that bad on price.
    Timbuk2 where always great, but the more recent stuff isn’t so good.

Drac

Osprey Flapjack

wombat

Osprey Flapjack (or Flapjill).

Its about 15l in total so plenty big enough for laptop, change of clothes, lunch and the like and it has a waist strap to keep it in place when on the bike (I’ve only cycled a couple of limes at a time with it but I’d be happy to ride further with it (although for longer journeys I tend to use panniers 😉 ))

I have the former and have abused it as briefcase/overnight bag/commuter bag for 3 years. Still looks virtually new.

EDIT

I have the same model as Cletus, not tried the new, single buckle model.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Still running a Crumpler Fux Deluxe that must be 15 years old now. Bar needing to replace the clip on the 3rd leg after I stood on it in cleats, its still perfect (albeit rather grubby). Wouldn’t hesitate to by another Crumpler bag.

Cletus

+1 Osprey Flapjack although I have the older two buckle model rather than the newer one buckle

andygreener

defy

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kriega – take your pick of the two sizes – both 100% waterproof, expandable too and a 10yr guarantee.

Daffy

What’s supposed to be the benefit of a messenger bag over a rucksack?

I’ve got both, but the MB isn’t any less sweaty (okay maybe one shoulder is less sweaty), nor is it more comfortable. I also seem to push forward with the shoulder upon which the strap is mounted. Whereas with the rucksack, it’s more stable and I seem to notice it less…

sprootlet
    Free Member

I used to use a rucksack but had sweaty back issues which seem much better with messenger bag.
    thanks for the reply, I seem to remember someone recommended a British company but I can’t remember the name …..

rossburton
    Free Member

I have both a Timbuk2 and a Crumpler, and prefer the Timbuk2. This was a custom order a decade ago now so was one of the hand-stiched in the US models. The colours are “not quite” as bright as they once were but there’s nothing else wrong with it.

kiwijohn

+1 for Timbuk2 custom.
    Quite reasonably priced & you can go mild or wild. Just don’t go waxed canvas, it’s a bit thin.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kriega are british – based “oop norf”

newworldlobster
    Free Member

I have a custom made Trakke one from before they went all tweed that i’m planning on selling, it’s black and orange and reflective with a red lining.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I could be interested NWL, they look lovely bags but they might be a little out of the price bracket ……

newworldlobster
    Free Member

@sprootlet you got PM

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi NWL
    Definitely interested, if you could email me some pics and confirm price/postage that would be great.
    I did reply by email but then realised this morning that you’re supposed to login to reply, sorry.
    Thanks
    Linda

newworldlobster
    Free Member

will do, which email address?

qwerty
    Free Member
    hammyuk
    Free Member

Got one of those coming at that price myself just for “crap” duties

jamiep
    Free Member

I got a black one in their last ‘sale’. It is great, especially for the money. Waterproof and massive capacity

DrP

I’ve a custom Timbuk2 (medium, i think?) – love it – waterproof, compression straps, laptop/ipad inner etc..
    was about £140 several years ago – just put it thurhg the wash and good as new.

RE benefits over back-pack – I think you can access the contents more easily, and (for example) pop it on the floor, flip open the lid, and you can practically get ant anything – great for (erm) courriers with packages, but also Dads with nappies/drinks bottles etc..

It’s more of a square shape too..

However, backpack with ‘air back’ type frame IS way more comfy!

DrP

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi NWL
    The email in profile is fine, I just couldn’t email a reply to you.
    Also to Andy Greener with the mission bag, if you could email me what you would like but I suspect it might be too big and slightly too expensive
    Thanks everyone for your help
    Linda

djflexure

Mission workshop here – used for 4 years and totally bombproof. Great wet weather protection for computer etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve had a large, plain black Timbuk2 for about ten years now. Used as bike luggage, weekend bag and as carry on for far too many flights. Still as good as new. Excellent kit.

aa
    Free Member

Having used an American made Timbuktu, a chrome metropolis, a stussy messenger, an osprey flapjack and my current mission workshop money I’d say that the Monty is rhe most ‘work friendly’ bag (depending on you work) but in my case it’s smart enough for the office. The chrome was very well built but too heavy for my needs and the buckle was a Pita. The timbuk2 I liked, but, wasn’t keen on the floating, extra, shoulder pad, plus it’s internal organising pockets aren’t as good or as well thought out as the Monty. The stussy and the osprey were both a bit meh Imo.

donks
    Free Member

Crumpler man here.
    For pure bike riding duties I.e stability and easy access to kit these seem to be my favourite.
    Not tried the expensive chrome types but have had Timbuktu and a north face messenger and both of these moved around on my back requiring regular adjustment.

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh – yea, Timbuk2 are great, my one purchased in 2001 is still going strong, £60 then reduced at Condor IIRC. The Polaris one i’ve just brought is for use at work only, & for £10 it’ll be impossible to fault.

Rik
    Free Member

Did you take the Trakke? If not I’d be interested

newworldlobster
    Free Member

i’m still waiting for email adresses etc so trakke still there, first refusal to sprootlet though

footflaps

Shame Howies don’t make the Chevron any more. I’ve been using mine everyday for 10 years now and it’s still got another 10 years life in it.

Tis a great design for riding in winter…

Sandwich

Another vote for the Polaris jobbie. Great for hand-luggage duties too as the staff don’t ask to put it in the hold when you rock up to the gate at the end of the queue. ( Well having sat down while the queue cleared and the wait in the stairwell finishes).

tall_martin

My crumpler bag is 13 years old now. One dead buckle due to being shut in a boot and other than that it is still perfect.

There’s a sale on too

SALE

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi Lobster
    My email is linda.stw@sproot.org.uk. If you could send pics and an idea of cost/postage etc I’ll let you know ASAP as there is obviously another interested party.
    Many thanks
    Linda

Love the howies chevron bag, such a shame they don’t make it anymore

newworldlobster
    Free Member

Bag still available. Rik? Anyone? Rik? RIK?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I spent a while trying to find something to suit me, after my Crumpler wore out. I went for a Bagaboo from Ebay, just the best quality i’ve seen.

http://www.bagaboo.hu/

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Messenger/courier bags – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.