Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mendips or Quantocks this weekend?
  • nedrapier

The car's packed, leaving for the South West after work, but no plans yet as to where to head.

Thinking Mendips or Q's because I've never been to either. Or Cheddar. Cheddar?

Where's going to be the best bet for riding this weekend?

And any recommendations for campsites or pubs would be gratefully received!

Ta.

nickegg
    Free Member

What about Mendips then the Q's!!! Mendips is pretty dry and Q's should be too.

Around on Saturday if you'd like a guide for the Mendips. Email in profile.

elliptic
    Free Member

Ditto Nick – a day at each, they're only 45 minutes drive apart.

The Crown at Churchill here is worth finding, or the Miner's and the Penscot in Shipham, or the Queen Victoria in Priddy.

There's a campsite in Priddy as well or a very basic one at Longbottom farm outside Shipham (but right by the trails), or the Broadway site outside Cheddar, pricey and over-organised but has a bar and a BMX track.

Lillypool cafe outside Shipham is good for a lunch stop fry-up.

(Oh and Cheddar is still in the Mendips by the way 😉 )

nedrapier

Cheers both, my girlfriend's found a campsite in the Q's that looks pretty good, so we'll probably head there tonight, ride on Saturday, and come back on Sunday via Cheddar and the Mendips. Thanks very much for the offer nick, and thanks for the geography lesson, elliptic

There's a few threads on here about where to ride in the Quantocks. From memory, we should buy a map and try to link up places ending with "coombe"

Not so much about Mendips, though. Is this route any good? Any recommended diversions?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oohh that's my basic introductory loop I put up there. But as you go around keep your eye out for other fun looking tracks, esp. in the top of Rowberrow Wood, heading into the trees.

Get a map and have fun

elliptic
    Free Member

Regarding the Q's that's the right idea, don't miss the descents down Weacombe and Smith's combe up near the north end.

All nice and dry at the moment, enjoy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mendips or Quantocks this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.