Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • meldon/okehampton/dartmoor routes.
  • jam-bo

just been for a nice walk around meldon reservior, looks to be some nice singletrack about and easy access to the high moors.

Anyone got any good routes round there? or tips for which bits ride best. got a couple of hours to explore tomorrow morning.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve ridden up from Okey via the golf course & done a lap of Meldon, then up over Black down, Row tor to Belstone (bit marshy & cheeky in places) Its OK but nothing special, took this on Meldon dam.

I keep meaning to do the bridalway loop South of South Zeal – looks steep in places, but I’ve not got round to it yet.

trailmonkey

done what snaps says and some stuff around sourton tor, verdict – meh. 😕

i’d like to think that there might be something up there as there’s some big, steep hills and plenty of access to link things up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

which side of meldon as the path on the right hand side of that photo looked fun to ride when I walked it earlier. rocky undulating singletrack for a couple of miles.

I’ve walked some interesting stuff in the woods below the dam as well. all bridleways on the map too.

snaps
    Free Member

There is a low path & a high bridalway on the right side of the lake in that pic, I’d take the high bridalway & then ride down the steps at the far end.

The route I took up from Okey came up through those woods, under the viaduct & through the old Arsenic mines 😯 to the far side of the dam below Longstone hill.

jam-bo

oops. ,meant left hand.

thepublican
    Free Member

Do a (cheeky) loop of the reservoir, going around anti clockwise using your pic. When you hit the dam at the end of the loop, follow the singletrack that stays parallel to, but above the right of the river. Then up the hills right from here (Yes tor direction)- lots of military roads you can make a scenic loop out of. And there are a few fords, gulleys and heavily eroded parts of the roads that make things a bit more fun.

It’s not Afan but well worth stretching your legs for a few hours imo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘meldon/okehampton/dartmoor routes.’ is closed to new replies.