Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 384 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

>ourmaninthenorth its a Parkinson Handy vice.

Ive just picked up a Pre War all steel record 75, to refurb or not to refurb that is the question.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s been mentioned yet but there’s a very good “Show us your vices” thread over on the mig-welding.co.UK forum.

Some real enthusiasts over there!

TheGingerOne

Does anyone have a link for the correct sized coach bolts to fix a Record No.1 down?
    The heads on the ones I bought are too big to fit down in the recesses/slots and I can’t seem to find the right ones.
    Thanks

squirrelking
    Free Member

Grind the heads surely?

TheGingerOne

It’s alright, I was having a senior moment 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve decided upon sympathetic restoration for now. Wire brush wheel and degrease. Leave as much old paint as I can. Even managed to get the jaws off so prob knock up a pair at work as you can no longer acquire them.

aryan6061
    Free Member

I just picked up a Record No.112P (P implies it was made by Paramo as far as I know) off gumtree, the jaws look real clean and there is zero butcher marks on the slide, which suggests it’s had an easy life. It says ”RECORD STEEL HEAVY DUTY” on the side of the body and it’s a non-QR version, just has a plain square thread screw.

Every picture of a 112 I’ve seen on the internet* is of the QR variety and only says ”RECORD HEAVY DUTY”, missing the ”STEEL”*. Anyone know the ins and outs of the models? I would be interested in gravity-slave’s take on this.

*with the exception of a no.110 that includes the ”STEEL” but it too is the QR type. ”record steel heavy duty” on google images and it’s the last one on the first row.

Will upload pics later, promise.

ourmaninthenorth

That’s brilliant – thanks wysiwyg..!

deadslow

Just finished the workbench and attaching my Record 52 1/2 vice to the newly constructed workbench. Its a quick release, Made in England model so ticks off all the STW boxes. Its held in place with coach bolts (another tick) and has new wooden jaws fitted made from some bits of mahogany given to me by my dad (another tick). Just won a second hand dog to fit in the front (£4.20 on ebay).
    All it needs is to plane down the top edges a little. One happy man

sands
    Free Member

PSA Good looking Record No 75 for sale cash / collect only Wallasey / Liverpool (too far for me).

As the striking surface is not a hardened steel insert, it’s probably a very late one made of malleable cast iron

Record No 75 vice

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I picked up this Record Imp at the Ecocentre tool sale for £5

vongassit
    Free Member

How timley , spent part of Friday mounting an old Record No 25 onto my workplace work bench. Got given it by another department who’d replaced it with a horrible crappy wee Eclipse. Dressed the top of the jaws to square them & flipped them round , it looks a lot better already. Need some new 5/8″ unc csk screws now , & a repaint.

It’s a beast!

wool

Holy thread reserection! ! One of my fave over the years. Prompted a ebay sourced Record 110 heavy duty which is marvellous.

househusband

I’ve had this Record No. 6 vice for several years but only recently got round to fabricating a stand for it; all made from one three-metre length of 3″ x 2″ channel. I can hang my 16st off the tommy bar with it partially open – it will lift the rear leg when fully open; wanted something that wasn’t going to take up too much floor space and could be moved around.

Vice stand

mickmcd
    Free Member

Some real enthusiasts over there!

Enthusiasts….you funny guy

Riksbar

Picked up a Record No.4 at the weekend, I’m looking at how best to clean it up now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wow, this thread is still going. About time I got a decent vice sorted. Anyone know of any value options in South Yorkshire?

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Picked up this 1942 ex-MOD No.84 for just £7.16
    <

Cleaned, primed and painted

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that’s a bargain.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

I know, the prime and paint were more than double that!

willard

*sigh*

I really want a vice. Sadly, that means I need a bench to put it on and a clear shed to put the bench in.

finishthat
    Free Member

You should keep an eye out for a local bargain and just store it, it will remind you to clear the shed.
    I confess to having a few in stock – they make good presents, although I have ended up with a couple that are too big/heavy to wrap.

fasthaggis

Nice job JohnJohn,brought it back to life.

spooky_b329

Does anyone else find it really irritating that most people cannot remain in the vicinity of a vice for more than 90 seconds without tightening the jaws to F.T and leaving the handle at a random angle?

Perhaps that group have a similar aversion to people who leave vices with the handle hanging vertically and an infuriating gap in the jaws?!

yetidave
    Free Member

and an infuriating gap in the jaw

I was told not to leave vices closed in cold weather.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am going to take a picture of my vice at the weekend. It cost a grand total of the petrol to make a 18 mile round trip.

Good old Freecycle.

And I only got it because I thought it ‘may come in handy’ yet it gets used regularly and I don’t know how I ever coped without one.

finishthat
    Free Member

Was taught to always leave the vice opened one turn and handle loose – especially to reduce the pain if you walk/bump into the handle.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

I’m sorry it wasn’t posed properly, although my valves and logos line up if that’s any compensation!!!

Mowgli
    Free Member

Here we go again! Just picked up this beast. Not a Record, but of the same era and similar weight. I was told it came from the same factory which made Fortis vices in Coventry, which was bombed in WW2 – so this is at least 80 years old. Not sure if I’ll keep it as it is, or tart it up. I think I need to reinforce my bench.

fasthaggis

Nice,looks a tough old unit ,I like that the ‘UNBREAKABLE’ is underneath the hammer point 🙂

dmck16
    Free Member

That looks lovely.

I have kept an eye out for one on FB Marketplace and Gumtree for quite a while now, but no luck so far.
    Most that do come up seem extortionate for their condition (i.e. covered in rust and mangled jaws)

dogbone

Picked up a No. 1 Record on eBay. £35. Perfect from general messing about.

MrSparkle

I’ve got two record vices. Inherited one from my Dad and the other one is an ex-Rolls Royce Barnoldswick one that cost me a tenner. Got workbenches at either end of the garage. Not OTT at all… 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What’s the most useful size for bike tasks, no3?

Tempted to get a 52 also or similar as it’s been my headset instal method for years at my dad’s. New house though so need my own..

Any good sources other than gumtree/FB (Glasgow)?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s great to see this thread is still turning up some unusual vintage vices

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Not quite as hefty, but I just mounted up my Woden 194. On the hunt for a bench vice too but this does everything I need really. Dowels need sanding flush still and should make some jaws.

Vice

squirrelking
    Free Member

Any good sources other than gumtree/FB (Glasgow)?

Doubt it beyond nicking one, everyone seems to be clued into the desirability of them now. Here’s a brilliant example of a “nearly new” Sealey for a bargain £80

vice

Bills Tool Store might yield a Woden or something less well known. Maybe Wilsons if there is a tool auction.

AD

I don’t think this has been posted before – really nice video of a vice restoration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPpmIDlBQkI

stgeorge

What’s the most useful size for bike tasks, no3?

Probably not a vice

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I ordered a no4 off Ebay from an “established” vintage tool seller. £55, so providing condition is decent enough, better than the recent FB offerings (£40 for a rusted Irwin no3 or the same for a Polish one with no handle)

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.