• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by st.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis Wetscream
  • thered

I think i know the answer to this but does anybody use a Maxxis Wetscream 2.5 Super Tacky for general winter gloop duties? I’m talking about when it gets really wet and minging btw, not now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used them for the sloppiest DH tracks uncut because I couldn’t face the pain of cutting them.
    Used a set years ago on a night ride in ice and snow, they gripped well but were about as crap as they could be to pedal around on.

The shorty seems to be the natural replacement, the only plus side to the WS is it made the old Swampthings seem like a resonable trail tyre.

legend
    Free Member

Wet Screams are an absolutely amazing tyre in the right conditions. Having to pedal them anywhere is not the right conditions.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Haven’t for years, its a very extreme tyre, if you’re riding into ankle deep mud or more they’re amazing, Morzine after a rain storm type mud – they’re a liability on anything else though.

neilforrow

I’ve got a little used one (26″) in the shed… email in profile if interested.

tjagain

I put a 2.2 wetscream on the tandem. Brilliant in mud, draggy as anything

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve got a little used one (26″) in the shed

Did you trim the knobs?

I’m sure there was a point where a lot of people got some, for me it was a very wet Molfre race, it was ace in the wet muddy grass until it didn’t bite then it was terrifying.

Back to point 1 – if you need a scream consider why you are getting the bike out 😉

(sorry to scupper a sale there – I gave mine away)

dc2.0

My lad used one on the front for the first time yesterday at a pretty muddy DH race at Farmer John’s with a shorty on the back. Very draggy – I think it needs to be even wetter to be the right tyre, the sort where it’s liquid gloop. As it was, it was more “claggy” than “gloopy” and a shorty would probably have been better on the front too..

TL; DR:

I’m talking about when it gets really wet and minging btw, not now.

Exactly.

neilforrow

Mike – agree with you totally, great if not unbelievable in the right conditions. I remember a few lads moaning down this way about them when they first come out, something about them ripping up the tracks too much…

I ran one on the front, uncut. It came out for a couple of rides and that was it. Too much for general riding, that’s for sure. Tried a cut down on the rear but didn’t get on with that at all.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I had a pair. I got the impression that they were for puddingy mud, where you needed grip on the mud itself rather than on the stones underneath. If it was so wet you could cut through to something hard, you wanted a tyre which got more rubber down. Ended up using them possibly twice I think.

VanHalen

i’ve got a cut one on teh front at the mo. its much like a shorty. i got given it and i’m cheap.

my local is mainly a swamp in winter. i loved the swampthing tyre which everyone else hated, mainly as i ride in teh EXACT conditions it was designed for. i`m hoping the cut WS does the same.

I`d not run the wetscream uncut – its just stupid unless you are riding a very steep and muddy offcamber grass field.

warpcow
    Free Member

its just stupid unless you are riding a very steep and muddy offcamber grass field.

Funnily enough the only time I use mine nowadays is at dual-slalom races in the Spring and Autumn on the local ski slope. Wouldn’t be without them for that. Wouldn’t want them for anything else.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve used them on the DH bike, had to cut it down to make it useable on on anything remotely firm, get a shorty or mary. I take it this is for the front of your new bike? Shorty 3c is great on the chase. Think stu ran them for a bit.

lunge

Agree on all the above, in very specific conditions they make a mockery of every other tyre available and find grip where nothing else can…but, those conditions don’t come around very often and they certainly don’t involve pedaling.

st

Mike, for general winter use on the Chase NO!
    Great tyre for the very specific conditions it was designed for. Round our way it’ll take a lot to get it going and will feel dog rough in the fire roads and death in a stick in roots and that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Wetscream’ is closed to new replies.