Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis tyre width
  • roastdinner
    Free Member

Currently have 2.4″ Highroller 2’s in 60a compound front and rear. I would like to try a 3c ‘Maxxterra’ DHF on the front however they only seem to come in 2.3″ width, unless I get the 2.5″ ‘Wide Trail’ which says it’s optimised for 35mm rims (mine are 25mm).

I don’t like the idea of a thinner tyre on the front compared to the rear… has anybody paired a DHF front with a 2.4″ HR2? Which DHF did you use?

stevied
    Free Member

2.3″ DHF is about 58mm across the knobs, HR2 2.4″ is about 60-61mm so slightly smaller than stated size when fitted to an EX471 – 25mm internal.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I have a 2.5 DHF Maxxgrip DD (I think) – maybe Ben Pinnick will be along to tell me exactly what I have, if he remembers.
    They’re on DT Swiss E1700 spline 2 wheels, which according to CRC have 22.5mm inner and 27mm Outer Width.

They’re fine.

honourablegeorge

WT are “optimized” for wider rims, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sue them on narrower ones.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

2.5 shorty front ftw

ehrob

IMO the 2.5WT variants of both the Shorty and Minion DHF crap all of over the 2.3 versions I’ve tried, albeit on 29mm internal rims.

The WT tyres will work with narrower rims.

Also – MaxxGrip front for the win.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2.4 HR2 front and rear is like towing a caravan.

Northwind

I have a shorty 2.5 WT and a DHR2 2.4 WT on 25mm (internal) rims and they work grand. I have a minion 2.5 non-WT too and tbh if there’s a difference between them I can’t tell.

But of course, it’s all maxxis so they measured the tyres with a rubber ruler.

sweaman2
    Free Member

This Blister review implies the differences are subtle but there. Not sure many of us are good enough to notice once it’s mounted.

benpinnick

Funkwealsel that is the right tyre, but your rims are 25mm.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Ah right – Cheers Mr Ben 🙂 So yeah roastdinner, you’ll be fine.

chiefgrooveguru

Any thoughts on a DHF 2.5 vs DHR2 2.4 as a front tyre (to go with a DHR2 2.3 on the back)?

I was planning to run a High Roller 2 2.4 up front with this rear tyre but it seems much better matched to the Minion SS 2.3 rear than the DHR2 2.3 I ran on my hardtail last summer (squarer and more edge grip), which has left my Shorty 2.5 up front on the full-sus.

I like the HR2 2.4 but having seen these new bigger Minions in the rubber a couple of weeks ago I’m very curious, they look like they mean business!

ehrob

I’ve heard plenty of good things about the DHR2 on the front. I’ve never tried it.

However, I can report that the DHF 2.5WT Maxxgrip is an absolute beast of a tyre. In winter I swap it for a 2.5WT Shorty Maxxgrip as it sheds mud better.

I run a DHR2 2.3 Maxxterra at the back all year round.

Expensive, but really great tyres all three of them.

crashrash

Agree about the DHR2 – awesome tyre, in all sizes – currently running a 2.3 on my FS. Thinking of the 2.5 DHF for the front once I have killed my vigilante!

davewalsh
    Free Member

If you were to look at the numbers on a maxxis ruler, iirc it would look like this:
    2.0, 2.1, 2.35, 2.25, 2.3, 2.5, 2.4, 2.5WT

Northwind

I loved that my 2.7 highroller measured exactly 2.5 and my 2.5 highroller measured exactly 2.35. It’s just a shame that the 2.35 higroller measured 2.2 instead of 2.1, to complete the set. (conti do the same, my 2.4 xking is 2.2 exactly- I can’t help but feel if I wanted a 2.2 xking I’D HAVE BOUGHT THE ****ING 2.2 XKING

And then there’s the 2.5 and 2.35 swampthings that were exactly the same size.

It makes me want to buy shitloads of tyres, fit them, then return them all as not as described.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre width’ is closed to new replies.