Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis beaver at hte back end for Enduro?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Trying to find a nice tyre that’ll cut through the mud expected at Tweedlove at the end of the month; from what I understand, it’s going to be a mudfest!

I’m running a 26″ Yeti 575 with really tight clearence at the back end so can’t go and stick a Mary on the back! I’ve got a minion that’ll fit, but it’s supertacky and will be junkk by the end, or alternatively a Nobby nic (DD).

Any thoughts about the Maxxis beaver as a dedicated mud tyre at the back or is it a) too flimsy for a big lad hitting rocks at pace b) great for XC but would suck in steep fresh-cut?

Alternatively… just stick with the minion or the nic??

legend
    Free Member

b) great for XC but would suck in steep fresh-cut?

Beavers are good for shedding mud rather than getting torn right into things, so there’s definitely an element of this

wilko1999
    Free Member

Storm is tougher than a Beaver and just as good in the mud. Shorty is a great option but bigger than Beaver or Storm so might not fit. Not as big as a Mary though so you might be alright. I’d go Shorty if it fits.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Any idea how the shorty compares to the minion?

proutster
    Free Member

I’m currently running a WTB vigilante in TCS Tough, Fast Rolling on the rear for exactly that as I’m at Tweedlove too 😀

Also just fitted a Conti Der Baron Projekt onto the front in anticipation of the mud.

Although, thinking about it, I’m not sure if either of those are available in 26″ flavour (mine are 27.5″) – so apologies if I’ve been completely unhelpful 😳

And, by the way, IMHO a Shorty is worlds better than a Minion in the mud.

cnud
    Free Member

Tried a shorty on the back – Don’t do it you will die. Sooooo draggy. Beaver pretty good at the rear, High Roller 2’s also work well IMHO but not others apparently

Northwind

No particular reason to expect a mudfest tbh. Yair was all vertical swamp but it’s not there this year. (no official word on tracks but I bet 8 pence it includes cademuir like in year 2. Just a hunch) End of April, it could be dusty or snowy.

I love the specialized butcher control as a rear, in smaller sizes anyway. It’s not a mud tyre, it’s basically just an evolved maxxpro minion but it grips well in all conditions, and when it slides it slides brilliantly, so managable. And rolls well, for the grip. The Control version is a pretty light tyre with not much sidewall so won’t suit everyone, mind. 2.3 version comes up a little under 2.3.

I’m a notably unsuccesful enduro racer mind 😆 But a butcher on the back and some sort of grip beast on the front has skills compensated me down stuff I can hardly believe I rode.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Depends on which beaver. The 2.0 is a skinny little xc tyre best suited for xc racing, the 2.25 is a completely different tyre. Built on the exo carcass, it is a much taller and tougher tyre, and will take a lot more punishment than the smaller version.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

There is a 26×2.0 exo beaver, but it comes with 120 tpi casing instead of 60 tpi for the 2.25 so may be a little more flexible.

edward2000
    Free Member

I use both, condition depending. The shorty will be better in the mud and the minion will be better on hard pack stuff. The minion is ok in mud, but it clogs quite quick, unlike the shorty, which is a really confidence inspiring mud tyre.

balfa
    Free Member

I used the 2.25 Exo Beaver on the back paired with a shorty on the front for last years Tweedlove Vallelujah Enduro. I like the beaver on the rear and have had no problems with it. Don’t think I’ve ripped it or pinched punctured it when setup as tubeless and I’m 85Kg. I quite happily would leave a Beaver on the back all year round around here. Rolls reasonably but still works in the mud ok. You’ll no doubt get some trail centre stuff mixed in at the enduro so it’ll will be ok on that stuff too. That said I did fit a minion DHR2 on the back this winter for something with a little more bite.

kimbers

No particular reason to expect a mudfest tbh. Yair was all vertical swamp but it’s not there this year

I admire your optimism northwind

I’ve got an ardent at the back currently and while it’d make life a lot easier for the transitions I expect to have to swap it out for a vigilante for Vallelujah, hopefully the trails will be dry if it does get wet it’ll chew up quickly on the non trail centre stuff I expect

bigjim

I’ve got both on at the moment, I’d say the minion has the same carcass as the shorty, quite narrow and low profile, so would be good if you have little mud clearance. Coped well with a relatively manky Yair at the weekend. Vigilante is about 6mm taller profile than the DHR2, great tyre but buzzes my frame. I’d also say a shorty on the back would suck on anything but downwards loose stuff, in terms of drag.

cokie

I’m running the Beaver 2.25 Exo rear with a WTB Vigilante TCS front.
    Great combination for most of my riding. I’ve done a few races and uplift days and the 2.25 bites in nicely, especially when it loamy or muddy. It rolls fast and clears quick too. The one place it feel sketchy is polished hard pack (like bits of Swinley) where it can slip when pushed.

BoardinBob

(no official word on tracks but I bet 8 pence it includes cademuir like in year 2. Just a hunch

I know a lot of the stuff has been re-opened down there but it still sounds like a work in progress. I’m thinking it’ll be all GT based. From the emails I reckon we’ll see Janet’s Brae. I don’t think it’ll be the full Ho Chi Minh through to the end. Probably start at Zoom or Bust. Then a climb back up for a final stage which sounds as though it’ll be the Falla Brae red/ black.

I do think the Tweedlove International race will feature Cademuir though, but not Vallelujah

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I’m not sure whether I should be googling those tracks or not! Either way, beaver ordered! I’d love to run my Nobby Nic / Mary combo if conditions are right, mainly because the mic is double defence and I’m quite heavy on the back tyre, but we shall see…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis beaver at hte back end for Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.