Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxle – grease yay or nay
  • filks

Quick question – I’m new to through axles
    Do I grease it on the outside before using or do I just grease the middle bit that functions as the quick release?
    TIA

wiggles
    Free Member

Grease the thread.

qwerty
    Free Member

A light oil of the axle is what RS advise IIRC (chain lube or 3in1 should do it).

fenred
    Free Member

Havent got the RS Maxle but a tiny thin smear of grease on my Fox bolt thru.

qwerty
    Free Member

As long as it has SOME lubrication on it, it’ll be content, just not dry.

filks

Thanks – lube it is

patagonian
    Free Member

Having had to hacksaw a Maxle out of my forks once I’d say you do need to put something on it!

smatkins1
    Free Member

…and don’t put it on the ground. You’ll get bits stuck to it and possibly leave it in a car park somewhere one day.

Grace
    Free Member

Yeah don’t leave it on the floor….put it on your car roof instead…pretty certain you wouldn’t drive off with it still there !

breadcrumb

I almost had one seize in so I’ve since gone with a light smearing of grease.

When I remove the front wheel I always put it back in the forks, can’t leave it behind then.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Always give mine a good smearing of grease, thread, the whole thing, maxle 20mm up front and bolt thru 142×12 on back.

Grease won’t ever give it the ability to work loose, but sure keeps the maxle sliding in and out beautifully, and any water out the spring, hub area etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Grease the threads else it will seize. Light oil is all you need, like a dry chain lube. The shaft doesn’t really come into contact with anything so no point greasing that especially as grease attracts dirt.

jamj1974

Breadcrumb +1

crofts2007
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    Grease the threads else it will seize. Light oil is all you need, like a dry chain lube. The shaft doesn’t really come into contact with anything so no point greasing that especially as grease attracts dirt.

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Having had a 20mm rockshox maxle seize/rust onto the bearings, and need knocking out with force, I always put some grease on mine.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Grease mine, spent a tense 30 minutes removing one once!

AlasdairMc

Grease the axle and some on the thread. I too have had to forcibly remove one, mine involved a mallet and a lot of Plusgas.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxle – grease yay or nay’ is closed to new replies.