Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • mavic crossride wheels. Any good?
  • ads678

Looking for a cheap wheel set and seen these in a couple of places for about £140 for the pair. Reviews seem ok, any real world experience?

Will be used for trail centre type stuff, but will take a bit of a ragging.

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty good I reckon. Like a Crossmax, only heavier 🙂
    Check the classifieds and you’ll probably find some for half that price.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a pair of Merlin built Mavic 717s on XT 6 bolt hubs to sell if you are interested?Similar weight to Crossrides but with easier to source/replace conventional Double butted spokes.
    £100 posted.

DezB
    Free Member

Crossrides have sealed bearings, apart from that the XT would be good.

ads678

jolly green giant – They’re actually for a mate, who has zero maintenance skills, his current wheels are in the shop at the moment but not sure they’re fixable! He had been DHing on them but has now bought a DH bike so his normal bike can have a rest. I reckon he’d prefer new but i’ll let him know about yours, cheers.

specialknees
    Free Member

How about Shimano MT65’s
    Fairly light, very cheap and look pretty good. Cup and cone though so it depends on his maintenance skills.

gb1m
    Free Member

I’ve have crossride’s on my hardtail and pretty impressed with them. I’ve given them some punishment over the last year and although they have a few ding’s in them they’ve remained true.

galactus
    Free Member

Hi there,
    I like them but….I think the disc rotor holes are not up to much and let the wheels down.

higthepig
    Free Member

Had a pair for 2 years or so with no issues whatsoever, give the rims an occasional clean, other than that no maintenance at all. I’d buy another pair quite hapily if I needed them. Mine are the centrelock version so can’t help with the comment above, but then who’s bright idea was it to fit discs with torx bolts that always seem to be made of cheese.

argoose
    Free Member

i have a set on the NRS, they good for the price, had them for three years and they still running sweet 8)

FOG

Every time this thread comes up I have to relate my very poor experience with Crossrides. The front rim pretzeled after a very minor get off. Replacing it was a major pain due to the unusual spoke arrengement, in fact I gave up and bought something else. Within a few months one of the spoke mounts on the rear hub broke making the hub junk.
    So 100% fail, go for something a little less fragile. I should mention I am a big fairy and don’t really give wheels too much stress

toaster93
    Free Member

I’ve had a set on my NRS Team for 2 years now. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

househusband
    Free Member

They have a pinned joint – walk away! Several years ago I saw one come apart at the join when the pins/rivets failed.

unovolo
    Free Member

Had a set for several years with no trouble,had to replace the rear rim after I got T-boned by another cyclist.

Bought a replacement rear wheel off evilbay that was missing the freehub,so transferred the rim across to mine and built the whole lot back up ,9months later and its still going strong(plus I have loads of spare spokes now)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘mavic crossride wheels. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.