• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mavic 521 burping/rolling tyre off – help, please……..
  • core

I’m running a Butcher up front a Purgatory out back, both 2.3, on Mavic En521 rims with Stans fluid and rhino rim strips, with cloth tape underneath, as spec.

The rear has been fine, but I’m having a lot of issues with the front, I keep the pressure pretty high (approx 40 psi) as I’m not the lightest (15 1/2 stone), a clumsy (ish) rider on a hardtail.

It just keeps on burping/almost popping the tyre off, they are quite thin/flexi sidewalls, but it’s getting to be a right pain in the arse. Last night it happened, on a very slow, very steep, rough descent, where front brake had to be used (barbed wire on side, gate at bottom), as soon as I got on the brake, tyre just rolled over and….. hisssss, out came half the air.

So, any ideas folks?

p.s. see old thread with similar comments: HERE

jonnym92

Not much help but, I have the same rims with On-One Smorgasbord tyres and tubeless with Joe’s No Flats. Been fine for me and I am not easy on the wheels!

Northwind

I’ve never had a tubeless conversion I was totally happy with, except for the DT ones which are designed for the rims. Not helpful I know but I gave up on tubeless without proper tubeless rims.

wwaswas

you could try some extra tape under the rim strips to make the bead a tighter fit?

core

I suppose I could, but not sure if/how it would make any difference, as the sidewall rolls over, the tyre deflects a lot, and burps on the opposite side, perhaps it would make them that bit tighter on the rim and stand more chance of holding air.

Or, I could just stick a tube back in………..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mavic 521 burping/rolling tyre off – help, please……..’ is closed to new replies.