Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Maths problem
  • tiggs121
    Free Member

T1cos 30o + T2cos 80o = 700

Find T1 and T2

It’s a forces problem

beej

Army, Navy or RAF?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

1 equation. 2 unknowns.

Can’t be solved without additional information.

perchypanther
    Free Member

t1= CBA
    t2=DILLIGAF

Do I win five pounds?

euain

You need another constraint, surely? There must be something else in the problem giving you an expression in T1 and/or T2.

adamhicks
    Free Member

Is this something being suspended by two ropes at an angle?

In which case you have solved for vertical equilibrium by stating the vertical components from the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of whatever is being supported.

The second equation should be for horizontal equilibrium – if the object is not moving then there is no overall horizontal force so

T1sin60=T2sin80

PlopNofear
    Free Member
    tiggs121
    Free Member

W = 700N

What is the tension in each rope. Not to be solved graphically.

euain

Your other constraint is T1.Sin(15) – T2.Cos(10) = 0 (she’s not accelerating left or right).

Just substitute T2=T1.Sin(15)/Cos(10) into the first equation – and solve for T1 (though I think the angles are different in the illustration and your original example?)

40mpg

Where’s Bruneep? He’ll know this one, although I’m sure thats not standard operating procedure 😀

adamhicks
    Free Member

Check your angles are labelled in the same place as the diagram. Euains equation is correct, but if you angles are labelled in the same position then your initial equation is wrong as one of the angles is measured to the horizontal and one is measured to the vertical.

MSP

Unfortunately before I solved the equation the flames burnt through the rope and the poor lady plunged to her death.

So the problem changes and the solution now becomes “time for a cup of tea”.

bruneep

Tell the cage operator to move closer and stop dicking about

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆

maccruiskeen

Where’s Bruneep? He’ll know this one,

He’s down below and has deduced ‘T1’ is ‘collar’ and ‘T2’ is ‘cuffs’ and that they both match.

bruneep

Our wedding is in 2 months all welcome

edward2000
    Free Member

Erm…. Why?

bruneep

because I saved her life and she loves me for ever. Its an occupational hazard, ladies throwing themselves at me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Maths problem’ is closed to new replies.