Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Man jailed for killing best pal after drunken punch
  • Cougar

Just because you haven’t done it, or can’t relate doesn’t mean it’s never happened. Or doesn’t happen a lot.

Sure, but my point was that you’d have to be a certain sort of person to do it.

I have no idea what relevance football colours have (I hate soccer)

So do I, I was just pandering to a lazy stereotype.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

Sure, but my point was that you’d have to be a certain sort of person to do it.

More speculation. And I can’t agree. Sometimes a comment or criticism from a close friend or family member cuts more deeply. Throw in impaired judgement due to alcohol and you have a recipe for this kind of thing.

If he had a history of this type of thing would it not have come out during the trial?

zanelad
    Free Member

I for one don’t think that the sentence was long enough. He struck out at someone and they died as a result. Whatever his intentions, and I’m struggling to understand why you’d punch a friend in the face, the result was death.

He wasn’t defending himself, he attacked someone.

For those arguing in his favourite, I assume you’d feel the same if it was one of your family who died?

jimjam
    Free Member

zanelad

I assume you’d feel the same if it was one of your family who died?

Well there’s no need for anyone here to speculate since the victim’s family are in this exact situation and said they didn’t want him jailed. Presumably they know more about the case than we do.

For those arguing in his favourite,

I think it’s only myself and Northwind who’ve said anything favourable and for the record I’m just playing devils advocate since based on absolutely no information whatsoever the legal eagles of STW have concluded:

He’s free with his fists.

Hit his friend really hard.

He has a history of violence.

Will commit violent acts in the future.

Conforms to a specific type of person (eugenics?) required to do this.

The victim’s family are wrong to plead for a non custodial sentence.

I’m just not sure I see the benefit in locking him up.

Northwind

zanelad – Member

For those arguing in his favourite, I assume you’d feel the same if it was one of your family who died?

I’d hope so. Certainly in this case, the family DO feel that way and I really admire them for that. It’d be so easy to hate, in these circumstances.

irc

ScottChegg – Member

Anyone that free with their fists will no doubt have done it before; and no doubt will do it again.

In this case possibly not. Age 63, no previous convictions.

Richard Eveleigh is widely regarded as a non violent man who is well liked and well regarded.

Eveleigh is 63 and has no previous convictions.

Eveleigh was originally charged with murder which judge says was “completely unnecessary”

https://twitter.com/mrdaveguest?lang=en-gb

orangespyderman

Sometimes a comment or criticism from a close friend or family member cuts more deeply.

Hang on. A “silly argument” by all reliable accounts (his, notably). I’m firmly on the side of the fence where I cannot imagine what my “best friend” could say to me to make me want to punch him in the face.

Eveleigh is 63 and has no previous convictions.

In the bad old days I used to know a lot of people who would hit out relatively freely and have yet no convictions because

That doesn’t change the fact that punching someone because they annoy you is not reasonable and should become acceptable, and, more specifically, shouldn’t have become as acceptable as it has…

zanelad
    Free Member

Well there’s no need for anyone here to speculate since the victim’s family are in this exact situation and said they didn’t want him jailed. Presumably they know more about the case than we do.

I wasn’t speculating about the victim’s family, unless they’re subscribers to STW. I was referring to those on here. Does one family’s viewpoint apply to all families?

We read about cyclists killed through the actions of motorists on here and the pack are baying for blood. They don’t seem so tolerant and understanding when the perpetrator is behind the wheel of a car. Lash out at a long standing friend and it seems to be OK. Could happen to anyone. So could a moments inattention when driving, but that seems to be another ballgame.

Whatever your views, and your welcome to them as I am to mine I do not think that I would be happy if he killed a member of my family and was treated in what I consider a lenient manner.

I’d hope so. Certainly in this case, the family DO feel that way and I really admire them for that. It’d be so easy to hate, in these circumstances.

Let’s hope you never have to put it to the test.

jimjam
    Free Member

zanelad

I wasn’t speculating about the victim’s family, unless they’re subscribers to STW. I was referring to those on here. Does one family’s viewpoint apply to all families?

Each set of circumstances will be different. In this specific case the people affiliated with most of the facts are the family of the victim, and they didn’t want him to go to jail.

I do not think that I would be happy if he killed a member of my family and was treated in what I consider a lenient manner.

Of course you wouldn’t. He’s nothing to you, you don’t know him. Imagine instead that in a moment of drunken madness your best friend, brother or father took an ill advised swipe at you and then you stumbled, hit your head and died as a result. Would you want them to go to jail? If so for how long?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Imagine instead that in a moment of drunken madness your best friend, brother or father took an ill advised swipe at you and then you stumbled, hit your head and died as a result. Would you want them to go to jail?

Yes. He’s killed you for nothing, over nothing.

Should he be guest of honour at the wake instead?

Why does ‘drunken madness’ excuse vicious behaviour? If he does that to a ‘mate’, what could he do to someone who, god forbid, spilled his pint?

Making a man who killed someone into a victim is a bit mixed up, in my view.

wwaswas

UKIP MEP:

Sources tell Telegraph Woolfe is suffering from bleeding of the brain after he was punched. One witness said he fell into a window.

what should the sentence for the person who did it be?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Death by Hanging.

Just for being in UKIP

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Man jailed for killing best pal after drunken punch’ is closed to new replies.