Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mam Tor, worth a visit?
  • Mounty_73

We have recently watched Secret Britain and we were looking at Mam Tor in the Peaks, it looked really nice.

We are thinking of going up there to have a look around, walking not biking. Not really done much in the Peaks, is it worth the 2.5 hour drive to spend a day, hopefully a weekend ?

andy7t2
    Free Member

nothing to see sound here move on

midlifecrashes

Yes.

Mam Tor itself isn't big, but sits between Edale(Jacob's Ladder, Kinder Scout) and Castleton (Cavedale, Speedwell, Blue John caverns), and several paths lead over toward Hayfield, the ridgeline over to Lose Hill and Hope(Roman Rd, The Beast, 18Bikes). Show caves and caverns around Castleton side for indoor stuff if you need to avoid the weather. If you're from SE England it's the first proper wild looking country you can reach heading north. (I know there's some out west too.)

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I went up Mam Tor around new year when it had snowed a lot. Really nice morning walking up and down it 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

mam tor isn't big?? what bolox

BadlyWiredDog

It's not 'big' like Ben Nevis, I guess is what he means. There's really nice walking around there. Edale Skyline, Kinder by the Edges and loads more – plus you can cunningly scope out the mountain bike trails as you do it. The back, less crowded side of Kinder which overlooks the A57 and Ashop Clough is lovely and amazingly quiet.

Harry_the_Spider

There is a nice circular walk from Castleton.

Hollins Cross – Mam Tor – The bit behind Peveril Castle.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Maybe combine the day trip with a visit to either the blue John mines or speedwell cavern. Plus castleton is lovely and of course there is 18bikes ooop the road in Hope.

midlifecrashes

I meant big as in effort needed to get up it. From Mam Nick car park it's a fifteen minute walk with a staircase half way. The Kinder plateau just over behind Edale is considerably higher and harder to access, that's all.

Pieface

Mam Tor is small compared to most of Wales, Lakes, Yorkshire and Scotland.

Takes 20 minutes tops to get to the top by bike.

But worth it all the same.

hora
    Free Member

Great idea OP. Start at Edale and walk from there and walk over and down to Castleton and Hope then back.

Fantastic views and soo tranquil. Most definitely worth a weekend IMO if you like walking as well 🙂

Pieface

Bleaklow aand Black Hill further North are nice for a bit of quieter walking. The whole of Kinder is good (IMO) Hope / Edale can be busy as its a honey pot site, especially the hills with Bridleways.

MoreCashThanDash

Wait till the summer tourist hordes/school trips have died down – try for a nice day late Sept.

Agree with the comments above – whether it is a "big" walk rather depends on where you start, but most Derbyshire/Peak walk guides will have a route for it if you need further ideas.

Or combine it with a trip to the Chestnut Centre down the road nearer Chapel – one of my favourite little places in the Peaks

therealhoops
    Free Member

s'alright

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mam Tor, worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.