Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Malvern Hills – tell me more…..
  • Lemurian
    Free Member

Going to be in Hereford for the day on tuesday, so thought I’d make the most of it and swing by the Malverns on my way home for a quick 2 hour blast.

Anyone else ride/ridden there? Know any good places to start/finish a ride from? I’ve looked at the STW trail guide and it looks pretty good, just wondering whether there was any other interesting/useful stuff I should know?

Cheers 🙂

BlobOnAStick

Hi Lemurian,

You’ll enjoy it, but a couple of points:
    1) There’ll be walkers aplenty if the weather’s fine – take it easy! The south end tends to be quieter.
    2) Paths are numerous and close together – it’s all too easy to pick the wrong path (and either go somewhere not intended or miss the best bits)
    3) Unfortunately the best bits are quite hidden and not really seen on a map – see if you can get a guide to take you round (sorry, I’m at work)
    4) If you call into back-on-track bikes they have routes available, but IIRC they are based on the STW route guide.

Have fun! It’s deservedly becoming a very popular spot (not sure this is ‘A GOOD THING’ however)

Ben

Edit: I tend to start at the Wyche Cutting as you can do loops to the North and South from there.

aracer
    Free Member

Nothing to see here. It’s all really rubbish – I’d stay away rather than waste your time.

Local hills for local people 😉

Lemurian
    Free Member

Cheers BlobOnAStick, I’ll try starting out from Wyche Cutting and see how lost I can get from there! This is just a bit of reccy trip to be honest, might bring some buddies back up if it’s good/the locals aren’t too hostile 😥 (thanks aracer!).

mboy
    Free Member

I tend to start at the wyche, go up Worcester Beacon to begin (bastard of a climb!), back down it, over the Wyche, follow the windy paths that meander along the Worcestershire side of the hills until I end up at British Camp. Then past the reservoir, going as far towards Eastnor as I dare, then cut down the hills quite sharply, below the reservoir, back up going round it. Back up to British Camp, maybe stop for tea and cake, then back to the Wyche going over the peaks from here…

If that makes any sense when you get there!

Incidentally, what time Tuesday were you thinking of riding, I may well be free…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Malvern Hills – tell me more…..’ is closed to new replies.