Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Magura forks – brake cable routing madness?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Was doing a bit of tinkering last night and went to swap my brakes from one bike to another.
    Went to remove the front brake from the bike that's running a pair of 100mm Magura Menjas, but the cable is routed through a hole in a protrusion that's a cast part of the fork lowers, and since the hole is effectively the same diameter as the cable itself I'm going to have to remove the cable from either the caliper end or the lever end.

Is that normal or am I being dim?
    It's clearly done a very good job over the years, but WTF?
    Zip tie usually seems to work just as well!

thepurist

Zip tie through hole & round hose?

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Not a bad idea.
    The problem is taking the damn thing apart in the first place though!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines not? Your not routing through the travel adjust stops on the crown are you?

Mines ziped to a mount on the back of the lowers, then through a very loose ziptie, which itself is ziped by another tie to the crown which holds it away form the crown and also lets it move through easily as the suspension bounces (look at MX forks for the kind of idea I'm following).

andytherocketeer

Huh? There's normally just one clip on the back of the fork lower. Cable/Hose just pops in place.

Just wondering if someone had the bright idea to route the hose through the mount for Magura's proprietary rim brake? (can't recall exactly what mine looks like, so I could be talking rubbish – there'll be a similar thing on the RH leg).

Dangerboy
    Free Member

It's a triangular protrusion with a hole at the corner.
    Best way to describe it is if you cut a slice of toast diagonally and used an apple corer to make a hole near a corner.

Can't remember if there's one on each leg though.

mmm, toast.

wwaswas

looks like you'll have to take hose off lever…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you've put it through the firmtech mounts!

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Cheers www – that's the blighter, bottom of the pic.

I can't take credit for it though, it's been like it since I bought it from Merlin!

s.p.adshead
    Free Member

Yeah, i did the same thing with my Menja's. Seemed like a neat solution to hose mounting until i came to take the forks off.

Just used cable ties after that!

andytherocketeer

Smooth 😉

Contact Merlin and see what they will do about it 😉 Handy place to tie wrap to though when you lose/snap the official little plastic u-clip.

mttm
    Free Member

That hose routing is actually correct – it's what the hole is there. for It's just that no-one has ever actually used it because it's then a pain to take your brakes off…

HTH 😉

kevonakona
    Free Member

cable ties for me to. Did this as first guess. Didn't ever get round to moaning about the missing part which it looks as though now was never missing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Magura forks – brake cable routing madness?’ is closed to new replies.