Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • magicshine MJ872……would you recomend it?
  • fastindian
    Free Member

As above and whats the beam spread like, floody?

Saw one in the flesh while on a ride last night and it looks well made, I want one!

So should I

alfabus
    Free Member

yes. and yes, it is ‘floody’.

On most of my night rides, the lowest setting is fine for everything except fast single track where I bump it up a setting – 2 if if gets fast and techy. Never actually ‘needed’ any of higher settings (there are 5).

The beam pattern is such that you don’t actually think about beam patterns – everything that I might want to look at is lit up, and the bits I am most concentrating on have plenty enough light without needing to have more focussed on them.

Dave

z1ppy

For £89 of ebay, for £150 off elsewhere….no

Great light for the money no doubts about it, but I’m know decidedly undecided as to whether it’s worth £30 (or cheaper from DX) over Smudges XM-L unit. Every time we go out (owner of MJ-872 & I), I change my mind. Lots of floody light vs more centered (or spot) light that brighter and has more reach.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

two mates have them. Very impressive. Side by side with my Lumicycle XPG there’s very little in it. You can also swap the O-rings for a Hope QR clamp.

rocketman
    Free Member

Absolutely bonkers light. I also have a Lumicycle xpg and in terms of light output theres not much in it but the Lumicycle is like a rapier whereas the 872 is more like a blunt axe. Even on the second setting it look like a small nuclear explosion on the bars and on 4 you cant look at it from 30m its like a supernova.

Construction is a bit primitive and you only get the light, battery & charger in the box but in terms of £/lumen its unbeatable.

coastkid
    Free Member

Ace light for the money, using mine now about 8 rides and happy with it… blog report here…

fastindian
    Free Member

i;ve just got the 1200 lumen XPG, which is ace, wouldt it be 2 much running with the 872?

coastkid
    Free Member

Too much? naa, im waiting on a 2nd one coming!, but thats so i can film with a Go Pro 🙂

robsoctane
    Free Member

just come back from my 8th or maybe 9th ride with it on in the dark. Believe the hype – it’s changed the time I can ride by hours!!! Best 90 quid ever spent. 😀

coastkid
    Free Member

First light i have owned where i can ride as fast as i want without being held back by lack of vision,

Magicshine 872 by coastkid71, on Flickr

robsoctane
    Free Member

@reggie: please let me know what you mean by swap to a Hope QR… how? Point it out to me.

thanks

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Darn.. why,why,why did I look at this thread!!

I want one!

J273
    Free Member

Anyone use one of these lid mounted?

Is it suitable or on the heavy side?

Thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

get one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533

unscrew the 872 mount from the light unit, and bolt the Hope clamp on. You’ll need a longer M4 bolt than the standard magicshine one though, and the Hope one is not suitable as it’s an M5 bolt.

mau00149
    Free Member

very very sweet light, used on the bars with bettery under the stem. Very clean simple system. More than plenty light for any technical descent or fast singletrack, just spreads light everwhere (in a good way) Battery life is excellent so far. As has been said, can run low or low+1 for alot of stuff and full when you need it. Have orderded an xml torch as a replacement for my current torch and will again be velcroed to the helmet (couple of velcro straps through the vents and round the torch) Will give even range being a tighter spot and should make a good combination. Pleased with build quality and mates have followed suit now…birds start their morning bird songs when we’re all out lol no complaints for the money

nice review of differing loghts and their beamshots
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/best-mountain-bike-lights-28195/

and breakdown of the light
    http://www.light-test.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103%3Amagicshine-mj870-mj872-cree-xp-g&catid=34%3Arowerowe&Itemid=55&lang=en

ssnowman
    Free Member

I’ve got one & can’t believe how good it is for the money.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Some various beam shots and info….

Torchy the Battery Boy

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My view is in here. I owned a bastid, a mickey mouse and this year an XML before this:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-dx-light-option-a-mini-review-and-beamshots

In summary – the best budget (but not really really budget at £90) light around for the bars.

fastindian
    Free Member

I’m convinced, just need to sell it to the wife err… 😆

h4muf
    Free Member

Great light for the money!

aracer
    Free Member

Depends how you define “back” 😯

slimjim78
    Free Member

I posted a link in one of my threads to a UK supplier with current stock at £99 all in.
    Great feedback too.
    He sold 15+ sets in less than 24hrs 😯

slimjim78
    Free Member

Kbrembo’s link above is excellent.
    almost making me wish I didnt just plump for the 872, some great beam shots on the link. Looks like the Fluxient’s are well worth a look.
    Particularly if you are looking for the best beam throw.

And this looks ace:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220870253168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

coastkid
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Depends how you define “back”

er.. like they have them back in stock… understand now? 😯 🙄 :mrgreen:

aracer
    Free Member

er.. like they have them back in stock… understand now?

I’d suggest reading the listing again if you think that.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

er.. like they have them back in stock… understand now?

I’d suggest reading the listing again if you think that.

Oooooh!

Ok there is now at least a weeks wait. I’m sure coastkid was trying to be helpful. (?)

But delays happen when the nights draw in. Like what happens to winter tyres after the snow arrives. Plan ahead 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

OMFG!

😯
    Niterider pro 3000 LED.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Don Simon has just melted my monitor!

How much does that cost then?

donsimon
    Free Member

700 GBP!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

70000 pennies! My 17p candle is more than capable thanks! 😉

GW
    Free Member

But delays happen when the nights draw in. Like what happens to winter tyres after the snow arrives. Plan ahead

only, we’ve all already got perfectly good lights and tyres no matter what conditions we come across. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Ok there is now at least a weeks wait.

Now 3 days or so less wait than when the link to that was last posted (in a thread linked higher up here), and a week or so less wait than when that auction was put on ebay. Maybe it’s the “now” which was actually incorrectly used 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

we’ve all already got perfectly good lights and tyres no matter what conditions we come across.

What tyres for night riding?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

aracer- nice edit. I’m sure bruce was trying to help out. Like me, I dont need to buy more stuff (according to the misus). Our opinions help each other out a wee bit.

coastkid
    Free Member

The Magicshine Ebay add currantly reads: “More than 10 available / 156 sold” 🙂

zippykona

Is the twin xm-lt6 unit that slimjim posted a link to the same one that’s in torchy the battery boy’s light review?
    The one in torchy’s review looks the nuts and I want one.

OCB
    Free Member

The only thing that puts me off these lights ‘in general’ is the thought of my house being burnt down by a suicidal charger and/or battery runaway. It’s why I still use primaries in all of my lights, rather than go to 18650’s.

I’ve got older wiring too, with blade fuses 😯 , so no fast acting RCD to pull the power out from under a duff charger for me (tho’ I ‘spose I could get a plug-in version at the socket).

It’s not really the charger itself I guess, it’s only a transformer in a plastic case trickling volts in – it’s the way it charges, and how much proper, stateful monitoring it does, and whether the cells are protected in any way and able to respond to the charger.

I’d be much happier having sourced the batteries and an intelligent, monitoring charger from known, established UK sources, and pairing that with a big lighting head (like that 2200 twin XML one up the page a bit ^).

What tips for containing [questionable] chargers?

neilnevill
    Free Member

yes the twin xml-t6 unit on ebay is the one torchy reviews and it clear is outstanding!

there is quite a choice of affordable and outstanding lights about currently it seems. Looking at torchy’s comparison is helpful on performance, it would be amazing if he, or someone, said a bit more on build quality of the light, batter and charger.

I’ve been making a short list…only its not that short

cheap end
    the single xml-t6 unit I linked to above on ebay (similar to the magicshine 808E??) VERY Cheap, should be bright, no idea on beam though (reflector looks smooth in one photo, orange peel in the other…so could be spot or flood!) charger could be iffy…although I think it has a CE mark (it looks like a charger dx sell that states it is ce marked)

the mj872 at 89 quid, looks reasonable quality all round. a 4 xpg unit

the twin xml unit for £110 on ebay….performance looks nuts! if the biuld and charger are okay then it looks great. According to another thread neninja is currently pulling one apart to assess it, and considering selling them.

the bikeray iv at £124…another 4 xpg unit. wow on performance, comes with eu charger, but out of stock

I think it is betwen the cheap and possibly iffy 35 quid single t6 unit, and the twin t6 unit that costs 3 times as much but we know (a little) more on

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘magicshine MJ872……would you recomend it?’ is closed to new replies.