Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Macbook pro fan noise
  • iolo
    Free Member

I have an early 2015 13 inch retina macbook pro. For the last week the fan is constantly running. It’s sounds like car idling (but obviously not quite as loud).
    It’s bloody annoying and I’ve gone back to my notebook 10 inch windows thing to do my work as the noise is going on my nerves.
    Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Is there an easy fix?

rockhopperbike

launch activity monitor, and have a look for discoveryd process under CPU usage- mine was up around 99% and killing the battery – kill the process- it’s something to do with networks – you can google it – lots of geeks have looked into it- apple bug for now it appears

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I had an older model, Mid 2011, that did the same. It was driving me mad too so I changed to an extra SSD drive and put all the apps/software on there and just keep files on the HDD. Runs much quieter and much, much faster.

Pretty easy to do and cost about £120 all in (I got a special offer from Maplin).

Ian

MrSmith
    Free Member

I had an older model, Mid 2011, that did the same. It was driving me mad too so I changed to an extra SSD drive and put all the apps/software on there and just keep files on the HDD. Runs much quieter and much, much faster.

Pretty easy to do and cost about £120 all in (I got a special offer from Maplin).

Ian

Retina mbp already has an ssd and it’s not in the same form as a laptop HD

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Apologies. I stand corrected.

Ian

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dust and crap, anyway to clean it?

somafunk

Try a PRAM reset (google it).

Cougar

I’d be taking a can of compressed air to it in the first instance.

somafunk

If it’s early 2015 i doubt there’d be much dust/fluff inside it.

prettygreenparrot

Sounds like a runaway process or you’re doing some heavy duty processing.

As rockhopperbike says, start activity monitor and look for processes using high % CPU (99% and higher). Sort by % CPU to make it easy. If one process stays at the top for a while consider killing it. Usual culprits are webkit components, Chrome components, or a couple of the daemons.

Another check to make is CMD+option+esc and look for ‘not responding’ processes. If you’re happy to, kill those.

If a process takes a long time to write to a disk (local, or networked) it can appear ‘not responding’. If you kill it you will likely lose any work since the last save.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Macbook pro fan noise’ is closed to new replies.