Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Mabie's secrets – the video
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

clip 7 pic by simon ralli, on Flickr

Clip 3 pic by simon ralli, on Flickr

Ok, don’t blame me if you regret losing 3 minutes and 24 seconds of your lives after having watched this 🙂

A lot was far steeper than it looked, and much of course was still slippery from last night’s rain. A bit of a killer combination.

May 11th by simon ralli, on Flickr

Fall 3 pic 2 by simon ralli, on Flickr

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpqj2snrqnk[/video]

Enjoy 🙂

These are just a few of Mabie’s hidden delights. I actually got quite cold so didn’t ride too many routes this morning.

greeble
    Free Member

a trip to jedi maybe in order me thinks

ojom
    Free Member

Would you mind showing us round there sometime?

fergal
    Free Member

I don’t no whether to laugh or cry.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I enjoyed that very much.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Amazing video and amazing choice of music. Fits in so well.

No one can be good at everything and your good at Videos/Web Design/Organising Rides/Posting great pictures. Which means you have to be less good at other things.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Sorry Im going to have to ask ,quite happy to admit Im a terrible rider, but why are you mashing the pedals so furiously in the run up to the boardwalk ?

You dont seem to be going very fast. You just seem to be unbalancing yourself by manically mashing away.

Would nt it be better to turn them slowly but firmly (prehaps in a slightly higher gear) ?

It just I dont think I’ve ever seen anyone else do that, its quite unique.

ads-b
    Free Member

Very mellow. Im all chilled out now.

Am i supposed to be smiling at you falling off? Entertaining all the same.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Simon,

I really enjoyed that, the comedy crashes were brilliant, and it gives me an excuse to drag up my video of Ae / Mabie excursions last year:

[video]http://vimeo.com/30271024[/video] which shows a few of the other trails, without giving away their locations (hopefully). (you’ll need to turn the contrast up for some bits!)

thebikechain- there are a few locals on the forum who would probably be willing to show you around at some point. Mabie isn’t big, so the trails could easily get trashed if too many people used them- if you can’t find anyone else then I could show you around.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I think an excursion is due for Fairhurst as soon as one can get up there.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Right, just to answer a few questions!

Yes, I know I am a dire rider but only people who I have ridden with know just how much fun I have on a bike.

I really do want to have proper lessons, but they will have to wait until I find myself a proper job. I have an amazing life you know, can’t complain at all, it’s just that I don’t have much cash right now for a number of reasons, but that’s fine.

I am impervious to criticisms of my riding, but I also do listen to constructive comments, and also Trekster and Davy-G always help out when I ride with them.

I did actually notice my wrong gears when editing the video. That section was the start of the woods, and so I must have been in a low gear for the climb to get there. There was no “logic” to the choice of gear, I tend to look around at the trees and things and look out for places to film, rather than focus on the gears and stuff like that 🙂

Thye secret stuff has been amazing for building up confidence to tackle steep stuff. I know you are probably asking where the steep stuff was on this video, but yeah, it was steep for me and a few of these places I was out of my comfort zone believe it or not. But it is a soft forest and so as you can see by the offs, I was fine!

I am happy to show people around, but I am off to Brazil soon so you will probably need some other locals. After saying that, these trails are pretty soft, and can’t cope with hundreds of riders, although there are many many lines to choose, and some jumps and things too.

And in case anyone is wondering how to react to the video, those were genuine offs, I was trying really hard to nail the sections. That last one is very steep, and there is a drop off at the end just before I fall which you can’t see. I really do not take myself seriously as a rider. I just like being out with friends, or out on my own in nature, whizzing around, falling off, having fun, and eating cake.

rs
    Free Member

I think this is the mtb equivalent of watching your dad dance at a wedding…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I enjoyed it fella, thanks for posting. Great tune…who is it?

simonralli2
    Free Member

The tune is Georges Moustaki – J’Ai Vu Des Rois Serviles.

I think this is the mtb equivalent of watching your dad dance at a wedding

I think there was a tv advert for a drink, forget which, maybe Bacardi, and the soundtrack was Bohemian like you, and the line at the end was “there is no such thing as bad dancing” 🙂

Great video default slipper – you have some good angles there!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ta…downloading now.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Why are you running that section of trail with your back brake on it just digs all the surface up which ruins it

Toasty

Good stuff 🙂 Actually quite refreshing just seeing someone arsing about, having fun, in the woods and falling off. Top outlook on the whole thing too! So many people seem to have forgotten the having fun bit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Enjoyed that. The falls made me smile – you’re brave as hell putting that up on here. As a fairly rubbish cyclist myself, I’m entirely sympathetic.

A little tip – in most cases we stall and wobble because we were going too slowly. Going slowly is very hard because it demands ninja balance.

Most trail obstacles are easier to overcome with a little more speed because it allows the wheels to roll, grip and carry us through. The clamber onto the woodwork is the obvious example where laying down some power before would have got you on it without stalling and wobbling.

Good stuff – keep it up!

bigjim

I laughed but will happily confess I probably looked the same sliding down some of the little tracks at Inners on sunday.

andytherocketeer

This video is not available in your country.
    Sorry about that.

hmmm – time to fire up proxy…

andytherocketeer

proxy ftw 🙂
    (no idea why they bother blocking vids with music, rather than just mute them. anyone with a technical IQ of more than about 3 can bypass the block)

Like the comedy falls. Still need to do Mabie and Dalbeattie. Done most of the other important ones.

mandog

I liked it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers Buzz – I know momentum is your friend and all that I guess I just need more of it, also on the downhill bits too.

To be honest I thought people may be more interested in seeing the trails which was the main reason for posting it. I have been watching Ride Guide recently and thought I could make a similar video, but when you watch yourself you realise just how slow you are going around the berms.

The annoying thing with the final fall was that I cleared it at the weekend, but when there were no cameras. This time I think I panicked on the drop, and you can see the bike veer to the right which was my downfall.

tomstickland
    Free Member

Just keep riding and you’ll gain.
    It’s easy to criticise on the internet. How many of those criticising are going to put their videos up?

penguinni

Cant get it to load on my iPad 🙁

iainc

brilliant wee vid !

Alcopop
    Free Member

Brilliant video and great choice of music made me smile and very happy cheers
    have a great time in Brazil

richmtb

Really enjoyed that. Fair play to you for posting it. Much better than the video of the two asshats in NZ

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

How many of those criticising are going to put their videos up?

A fair point. Here’s some badly shot video of me and some pals mincing and riding really really badly. That was fun morning 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zeqJYJUdM&feature=relmfu[/video]

toons
    Free Member

Those roots look very slippy; try dropping your tire pressure a bit.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Those roots look very slippy; try dropping your tire pressure a bit.

They certainly were! Cheers for the tip. My tyres are pretty high pressure as I don’t have a car and I rode to Mabie from Dumfries.

nosedive
    Free Member

good work. I liked that you got back up and had another go every time you crashed.

video looks stunning as well

simonralli2
    Free Member

Buzz – poor old Martin – at least he seemed to go for it on that plank bit 🙂 Great video – just you riding along laughing 😀

I forgot to say, on that final bit of mine, there is a jump which seems to me crazy in that bikes would land on the flat if they went too far. It would be great to see how the actual proper riders jump it.

And another thing I forgot to say is that I now know how to stitch all the various secret bits together now into a whole loop – before I ended up at the bottom of Descender Bender but now realise that there is in fact a loop in the shape of an 8 you can do.

I tried the plank 3 times – I failed once on Sunday then managed it the second time around as the lines take you to the bottom of Descender Bender then you just go back up again for different lines.

I did as you see crash at the top of the final slope. Nearly bottled it then decided to try it anyway!

pottsathome
    Free Member

Are you talking about the log drop of that you came of on or the larger jump down a bit. And I was nt trying to be smart with the back brake on comment either.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Potts

I am talking about lots of bits!

On Sunday one of the trail builders was there, and he said just lay off the front brake and just use the back for the final section.

The other problem is that a lot of the slopes end in sharp corners and trees which you don’t see on the video.

pottsathome
    Free Member

I know where the tree s are as I built most of the trail you were on. The middle section of the video anyway the rest has been their for a long long time. Did the boy you met have headphones in

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah right didn’t realise. Not as far as I remember. He was waiting for his mate near the end of the DH section and told me which lines to take to get down.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Would have been mark he was away to meet robbie. I think I passed you on the main drag i was with a boy on a bright green transition

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah cool – say Hi if you see me again – I always have time for a chat on my rides.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Mabie's secrets – the video’ is closed to new replies.