Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • M785 lever spring replacement XT Brakes
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve broken the spring on my XT M785 brake lever so the lever sits without tension and rattles around a bit. Doesn’t affect function but there is perhaps 3mm play before the lever becomes ‘usable’

Is it possible to buy just the spring seen here and replace it?

Thanks!

stevextc
    Free Member

Did you try SJS? (They usually have a good selection of replacement parts)

At that price + shipping you’re double the price of a new lever ….

damascus
    Free Member

My xt785 levers recently failed. The master cylinder gets covered in crap and stops releasing the lever so the brakes stay on. so I replaced the with xt 8000 levers. Cost me £60 for a pair of levers. I sold my old levers on eBay for spares and repairs.

Shimano levers are so cheap it’s not worth the hassle of trying to fix them. The xt 8000 levers feel pretty much the same but have the grip dimples on that match the new 11 speed shifter.

jamesfts
    Free Member

More likely to be the seal on the master cylinder than the spring it self. As damascus say they swell and stop the lever from returning to its normal position. I couldn’t find a replacement seal/master cylinder so ended up replacing the levers on one set and pinching the master cylinders from a set of snapped XTR levers for another set.

If it your sure it is the spring I’m pretty sure I’ll have one in my spares box from fixing the above problem.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers so far, t’s definitely the spring.

They are spare set to wanted to fix them and sell them I.e not spend any cash.

Jamesfts that would be fantastic!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just sent you an email to the address in your profile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘M785 lever spring replacement XT Brakes’ is closed to new replies.