Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • M775 Disc Brake Pad Clearance
  • duckers
    Free Member

I dont seem to be getting much pad clearance on my XT front disc brake, I have considered/tested.

1. Sticking pistons – The pistons are not sticking.
    2. Air in fluid – I bled the brake a little and there was no air in there
    3. Moisture has gotten into the fluid causing it to expand – Could the fluid have absorbed moisture over the winter so their is now too much fluid in the reservoir & pipe, how would I tell?

Any suggestions of what to try next?

no matter what I do the rotor seems to catch the pads and I just cant seem to get enough clearance to stop it, especally when honking out of the saddle. I am using XT M775 wheels and XTR rotors.

Any brakes out there offering better pad clearance than XT's? How do people rate Formula K24's?

gee
    Free Member

There is a problem with your brakes. You don't need to buy new ones.

It sounds like they are over-filled with oil. Take the wheel out, take the pads out, remove the top cap on the lever and wrap in a cloth, then force the pistons in with a wide screwdriver. This will take a bit of wiggling and may take 2 or three goes to force them all the way in. Some fluid will probably leak onto the cloth from the lever reservoir. Top up the reservoir, replace the cap and then refit pads and wheel.

If that doesn't work, is the mount square? Is the rotor straight? Is the wheel in properly?

GB

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i found when i put new pads in there wasnt a great deal of clearance, once worn in a bit, there were no issues what so ever…

xt brakes (09 ones i have), are by far the most reliable, easy to maintain brake ive ever used….

you never tend to get any issues, the feel of the lever is immense rather than just on/off….and the calipers, rotors etc have plenty of clearance once pads are worn in, meaning you never really have to realign them unless you take the wheel off, pad clearance is ace once worn in, you get very little catching, they always seem to stay perfectly aligned….

ill never buy a different brand of brakes ever again now….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry and just to put it into context, unless you have put new pads in, the clearance on the xts, is by far the clearest ive ever used….honestly, had elixir cr's, hope tech x2 and juicy's etc and all of them have nothing on the clearance of the xt's…

there is something not right as suggested above, unless as stated they are brand new pads?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘M775 Disc Brake Pad Clearance’ is closed to new replies.