Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Luu 900 lm bike light (on-one)
  • dss1234
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Just wondered what the general thoughts were on the Luu 900 lm light set from on-one / Planet-x.

Just recieved mine and have probably now done 4 or 5 night rides on roads (dark country lanes) and have to admit to being a little "undewhelmed".

Replacing a set of '08 Niterider Minewt duals (300 lm)and a Fenix L2D (180 lm) with 900 lm I was expecting to be blown away!

Trouble is – I simply haven't been and can't say it's massively brighter than my old set up.

So I started the positive self talk…

"No, it is bright really"
    "It's a much wider beam"
    "It'll be great off road"

It's no good, am still not impressed. There were times, even on the country lanes when I really would have liked more light. I could imagine off road being quite sketchy!

The nail in the coffin was a ride with a buddy last night who was running a set of Hope Vision 4's (900-1000 Lm I believe).

Wow! That's whhat I was expecting from a 900 Lm light. Like a car coming up behind me. Totally overpowered my Luu

I don't know how they can be saying the Luu's are 900 lm. I know not all lumens are created equally, but the Hopes seemed twice as bright if not more.

On the plus side, the build quality it good and burn time is excellent.

Any other experiences?

Anybody want to buy a nearly new Luu bike light (now that I've really sold it to you all!)

Dunc

robgarrioch

Brilliant, the set I bought are arriving today.

First Dell laptops, now this 😥

dss1234
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on matey.

Maybe I was expecting too much?

I dicked around with the different lens' for ages and finally stuck with the spot beam – the others were just too wide and diffuse?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and haven't yet found the secret "mega power setting"!

Maybe post a review after a few rides? I would value somebody elses opinion.

Dunc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tragically1969
    Free Member

My mate has one, i have been totally underwhelmed by it, my Ay-Ups kick is ass, and they are meant to be old technology.

Be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts

Sorry !!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't forget the minewts are actual measured output wheras the luu 900 l is theroetical max – so actual out put will be significantly less than 900 l

dss1234
    Free Member

Thanks Guys – interesting!

Does anybody have any idea what theoretical max lumens equate to in the real world??

Dunc

Nezbo
    Free Member

I have been using mine for the last 3 weeks and it is great, I have been trying it with the different filters.

It is just as bright as the people I ride with hope vision 2 and 4.

the vision 4's have a narrower beam so it appears brighter, so I am not using medium filter, and I get the best of both worlds, wide beam and bright enough for the fast trails.

Still no light is good in the fog…

robgarrioch

Did a fair amount of digging here & elsewhere before I plumped for the LUU's; seemed like the best bang for your buck after the popular DX jobs. Considered most major brands but didn't want to spend >£200 on something I may only use 1/2 a dozen times a year. The Luu's seem good quality & ready to last a while.
    Hopefully I'll get to try them on Friday, just a wee run to see what I think. Not having night-ridden off-road before I hope it'll be just fine.

cookeaa

From the point of view of a “lighting lay-person” how indicative are the various quoted measurements Watts, Lumens, MCD etc that manufacturers give, really in terms of telling you how effective a light is?

I mean one company will quote a measurement of power, another will offer light intensity, and very often these aren’t always directly comparable are they…

Then of course some are quoting a theoretical Maximum for the emitter while ignoring the effects of the reflector/optics while I assume others who maybe don’t quote dizzying numbers are being a touch more honest about the real world performance of the light… Or are they?

What I’m saying is if someone plops down two lights in front of you one of which claims to be 900Lu, the other claims to be just 300Lu but both cost about the same, can you actually be certain which one is better?

I think the trouble is that while I can test ride a bike I may be considering buying, I’ve never seen anyone offer a test ride for the various expensive £150-£300 light sets about, customers base buying decisions on quoted numbers and peer reviews, so if you’ll forgive the pun customers wind up buying an expensive light almost Blind.

dss1234
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,

Some interesting opinions – but I'm confused.

I'm thinking I must have a sub standard unit then, because there is absolutely no way mine is anywhere near as bright as my mates Hope Vision 4. That is in a totally different league – I'm talking twice as bright, wider, whiter – just way, way better!

Dunc

robgarrioch

Dunc,
    You may be interested in these 2 links from the good folk @ 'MuddyMoles', for comparisons – I believe the NukeProof Reactor is basically the same as LUU;
    Light Comparisons
    Light Comparisons Flickr Set

(Mind you, don't see any Hope pics)

mudshark
    Free Member

I bought a LUU as figured it would make a good helmet light if not good enough for a main light – the 4 hr burn time on high sounded very good. Not used it yet but looks OK in the garden. I was using an original triple shot and it's certainly a lot better than that!

julioflo
    Free Member

I'm happy with my Luu's. Been riding with a mate who has Hope Vision 4's and compared to the Luu light I have, ok there is a slight beam width issue, but the light outputs appear pretty much the same. Maybe a slightly different colour of light to the Hopes [?]. But the burn time is great, i'm not the one having to constantly switch between power settings to get me home on a 2-3 hour ride….

cookeaa

@robgarrioch – those beam comparison shots are exactly what I was thinking about, actually very useful, and I think a few of them prove the difference about quoted figures and actual performance…

One question, they refer to the Ay-up helmet and handlebar lights being 340Lumins a piece and then state:

“The Ay-Up MTB LED helmet and handlebar lights delivers a claimed 680 lumens”

is this really the correct way to look at it, surely you have two 340Lumin light sources, not a combined 680 Lumin light, I mean it’s not a multiplication effect is it? Focus 2 identical lights on the same point you’re still only illuminating the same area with the same intensity, or focus them at different areas to give a wider patern 340 Lumins… or have I missunderstood?

jamesca
    Free Member

mine just arrived today, although i won't be picking them up until the weekend, now a little worried i have made the wrong choice.

oh well, i'll wait and see

robgarrioch

jamesca – we should form a self-help/harm group – the dis-illuminati! 🙂
    Still, haven't even got mine in the house yet, so keeping the chin up.

cookeaa – I'm a bit dubious over 'combined' effect of 2, or more, lights too. A lot of the sites claim 2 lights = double intensity, whether this is 'lumens emitted' or 'lumens landing on ground' I've no idea. A bright fixed light (bars) + moderate moveable light (helmet) seems to be the recipe for success!

Thought daveplanetx would've been here by now…

Luminous
    Free Member

This will be my only post, at least until tonight, sorry.

Last week I had a good look at a LUU light and I too was shocked to see that it was not very bright at all.

It also seemed too heavy for helmet mount, imo. The owner had the "narrow" lens, but quite frankly I didn't think much of it.

The output isn't very high and the beam pattern is fragmented, the centre of the spot had a shonky pattern , where most lights I see, at least give an unbroken, white disc of light, at the centre of the beam.

I suppose I have to bare in mind the price of the light.

The housing seemed Ok, although the large rubber grommet at the rear of the light, intended to give some water resitance to the power connector, would quickly get on my nerves, its not a nice action to connect and disconnect the power cable, imo.

I was going to suggest that saving-up money for a little longer would enable people to buy something else. But I'm now getting the impression that people are avoiding spending more than 200 quid, not for lack of money, but rather that they just don't want to spend that much on a bike light.

Its just an impression I'm getting when reading some threads on here, and I understand that.

Also, I'm no battery expert, I leave that to Smudge, but the Luu light uses a Lithium Polymer cell battery, which I believe doesn't have the same re-charge cycle numbers as a Lithium Ion battery, although the Li-Poly may weigh less.

I'm not an expert on the LUU light, but on the evidence of a good look at one, I couldn't recommend it.

So for those who have bought one, I'm sorry if you're disappointed.
    Perhaps the LUU light could use some special STW mods, perhaps fit a cutter MCPCB ?.

Could be worth calling Trout.

L.

cookeaa

Yep the “combined” effect as you put it, seems like a bit of a fudge, to my un-trained brain…

It must be more complicated when there’s multiple emmiters, i.e. if you had 2 x 340Lumin lamps, they are focussed side by side to create effectively 2 hot spots surely you have a larger pool of light which at it’s 2 hot spots is a theoretical 340 lumins, but if you re-adjusted them to focus on the same spot is that now supposed to be a 680 lumin light with a single hotspot light? And if so what’s the actual improvement? You have a smaller pool of light, the same weight and burn time, and is that single hot spot any brighter?

It’s analogous to computer processors in a way, the difference between processing speed and bandwith, I’m sure all the IT managers can undertand that one…

Looking over those shot’s I’m encouraged a little, My DX has apparently been dispatched now, and while it didn’t look to be the best in that test it wasn’t the worst either I reckon I could live with it…

dss1234
    Free Member

Thanks Luminous – I agree with all your comments particularly about the beam strength and fragmented pattern with the narrow lens.

Really not what I expected for £175.

I'll put this one down to experience I think and start saving for some Ay-ups!

Dunc

fejling
    Free Member

I have one of these lights and don't have a problem with it at all. It replaced a set of blackburn x6 lights and I find the Luu light much brighter, and it gives more than enough light for riding twisty singletrack. I have it bar mounted and have a small considerably less powerful light helmet mounted.

Maybe I've just eaten more carrots.

mudshark
    Free Member

So is this light the same as the Nukeproof one? That's more expensive so are people with those unhappy?

ady
    Free Member

Have had mine for about 4 weeks and have to say for the money it is very good and reasonable build quality.
    Ride mainly open trails and thetford and more than enough light either helmet mount or bar .
    And getting 4 + from the batt on full power

dss1234
    Free Member

Yup, I think I've got a duffer.

I was "on the brakes" the other night as the light did not give me enough confidence on a particular decent. Not good – and that was on the road!

Seems plenty of people are happy with them so hopefully mine is just sub standard and in the minority.

Cheers for all your opinions.

Dunc

Evesie
    Free Member

Cookeaa,
    You can test out the offerings from USE on the Evans night time Ride It events

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/night-rides

Stoner
    Free Member

maybe LUU have been a bit sloppy with their bin selections and theres a wide range of output across their product?

robgarrioch

I've had a quick look & can't find any actual measurements of the light emitted – On-One's details clearly state 900Ln (as posted in this thread).
    I have no experience of other lights, or appreciation of how 900Ln should look / be, but it sounds like your light's a bit shy of that, Dunc. No way I'm going out £180 if the product doesn't match the description!

Edit; we can now blame SFB! 🙂

dss1234
    Free Member

Indded robgarrioch, I was expecting 900 Ln to blow my socks off – and it hasn't.

My mate's Hope Vision 4 is mighty impressive and kinda what I was hoping for with the Luu.

Hey ho.

Dunc

cookeaa

Evesie – Member
    Cookeaa,
    You can test out the offerings from USE on the Evans night time Ride It events
    http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/night-rides

Cheers for that, there next event, this weekend is almost on my doorstep! I may need to run it past the missus, but that could be handy, and there’s still lights not yet booked…

robgarrioch

Back again;
    Still haven't tried out the LUU on-bike, took a walk out the back last night with it and my Fenix TA21 torch. 1st impression was not bad at all, not super-nova but definitely adequate. My fenix has 9 strength settings & a much more concentrated spot, it seemed not to visibly add any light to the LUU's 'pool' until set to 130 Ln.
    Also bouyed by this thread posted by Trout who knows his onions on lights (ok, it's Nukeproof again, but the LUU is essentially the same light)

Marmoset
    Free Member

I've just bought a Nukeproof and on the street outside the bikeshop I'd say it easily gave off the same light levels as my old lupine nightmare – it's probably brighter if anything. Not used it on the bike yet so still have to figure which beam pattern to use.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I have a troutlite and before that built tripple and quad crees up. the one thing i have found with all these lights is never listen to the lumens count. The quality of the lens and what they do with the light is so much more important (within reason of course). Of all the lights i have seen i really liked the ay ups a mate had. It was the fact that you could use all the output from them and direct them exactly where needed.

dss1234
    Free Member

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

Decided to send my Luu light back to Planet-X.

Just to re-assure anybody that has bought or plan's to buy a Luu, it's certainly a nice light – good quality and great burn time.

I would stand by my impression that it's not really putting out 900 lumens though, but then I then I think it seems pretty clear that the Soeul P7 is never actually going to do that in the real world.

In essence, I think my expectations were a little on the high side.

So, nice light, good quality – probably plenty bright enough for most situations, but PX offered me a refund so I thought I'd go for that, save a few more quid and get some Ay-ups.

Cheers

Dunc

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lumens are like watts for light bulbs, i.e. they measure the ammount of light energy emitted form an emitter. Efficiency can be measured in lumens per Watt (arround about 250 for good LED's)

lux is the measure of brightness hence the name, "luminous flux", also conveniently the latin for light, and can be thought of as lumens per area.

So yes 2 360lumen emitters make 720lumen, but it might not appear any brighter as the human eye just constricts the iris to let less light in.

The only way to realy compare two lights is to set them up in a room then produce a radar plot showing luminous intensity Vs angle.

CountZero

When the LUU was first advertised I thought people might be a bit surprised when they got them, and posted as much. The P7 emitter is around 700Ln, exactly the same as the DX Bike light, and the On-One AirBike light, and some DX torches that people use as headlights. I bought an AirBike, and was a bit disappointed with it, as it was very 'floody'. I got a DX last winter, and I was blown away by the quality for the cost. Much tighter beam, decent build, easy to mount. Excellent little light. I really think the LUU is a bit overpriced for what you get, but there are a lot of lights using the P7 now, and most are fairly pricy, so look carefully before buying to avoid disappointment.

robgarrioch

Finally tried out my LUU light last night, with a lap of Glentress red. IMO the light is great – believe I used the 'spot' lens, on 'medium' power 80% of the time, & didn't want for any more. In conjunction with my Fenix torch strapped to the helmet, felt quite happy. Granted, GT is a fairly tunnel-like experience, but I'd expected major disappointment after the comments above, so pleasantly surprised that it's actually fine.
    Bigger thumbs-up to the bar-mount, after an early tighten it stayed rock-solid despite many rough landings & 1 slip-off.

Provided reliability is ok (we'll see), I now wouldn't hesitate to recommend the LUU, whether or not it is 900Ln.
    Now, to get on with some night-riding without worrying about how dark it is! 🙂

Marmoset
    Free Member

Had my Nukeproof out last week and was very happy with it – I think initially I was disappointed as the usual thing you do wwith a bright light is see how far it will illuminate. Once I'd figured to bring the aim back a bit, using a narrow beam, them I was more than happy with what it can do. It's not quite as good as the Nightmare's flood and distance compromise, but it good enough

pabsw1982
    Free Member

was trawling through the posts and I KNOW this is old but I figured that winter is a breath away now so..

I haven't tried the LUU, but, I did try a 800 lumen light before from the australian company niterider, the photon max. the battery button dissappeared into the battery housing after 2 rides and the light output was pretty good compared to my old cateye ABS 25's, BUT…

then I sent it back for a refund and worked a deal on a light and motion seca race 700. despite this being theoretically lower output it is much much much brighter with greater trail visibility as well.

L&M claim to be the only company that actually tests their lumen output as you would experience as a user. I have to say that everything about it is kick ass. they are also massively reduced now – you can get up to 38% off in some places – due to them releasing a new 1400 lumen beast!

the 1400 lumen one would be too bright for me, but the seca race imho is a great light for the money and goes to show that actual 'claimed' lumen output is not everything, you must consider the quality of the lenses too.

the custom lenses do half the work, the LED output the other half. so you buy a powerful LED with a crappy lens and you will be dissappointed if you compare it with a quality lens.

plus the whole thing rechaerges in less than two hours with the way I use it for my commutes.

Just my TPW!

here is a pic:

Luminous
    Free Member

Still not the best light you can get for £250 – £300, esp on the lumen count. Although I prefer Lux, and have my lights independantly lab measured.

But way more useable than those LUU lights, imo.

EDIT: Charging a 5.2Ah battery in less than 2 hrs ?, thats some charge rate. I wonder what the Battery Gurus say about that.

pabsw1982
    Free Member

as I said it's not all about lumens, it's about the quality of the reflectors and the lens too for throw and spread on the trail. plus the battery and the workmanship.

EDIT – as I also said as I use the light I don't run it completely down therefore it fully recharges in 2hrs for me and the manufacturers charge from empty is 2.5hrs using multicell li-ion. Look it up. plus you make your own lights so you might possibly be a little bias 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

You've come to your light through a deal, regarding the refund for another light.

I'm glad you're happy with your seca 700
    🙂

What other lights have been measured and quote Lux ?

Well, theres my light, and theres the Busch & muller Big Bang.
    70 lux, at 10 metres, 140 Lux at 10 metres, respectively.

I think CRC had a lux rating in the sales blurb for the Nuke-Proof light, but with a figure of 310,000 lux, I suspect "fat fingers" may have been at work there, and you need a distance value to go with your lux value.

However, the Big-Bang is a massively expensive light, but monster bright too. Probably the best of the HiD lights.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Luu 900 lm bike light (on-one)’ is closed to new replies.