Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Lots of pics of a Whinlatter ride :)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We rode the new blue route (which is good fun) and the southern loop (I never noticed the colour) plus the last bit of the northern red route (the zigzags). Despite my aversion to trail centres we had a good day out 🙂

click pic for bigger

timothecimmerian

Great pics and write up SFB. We rode up from Keswick earlier this year and did both North and South loops before riding back. We didn’t do the Blue, but in retrospect we should have!

GHill

The blue route is good fun IMO. Some excellent views from the North Red too, just past the worst climb.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Note: we always park at Powter How and climb the fire road to the VC, taking the BW to Thornthwaite at the end 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Good work.

firestarter
    Free Member

Nice 😉

timothecimmerian

What shorts for Whinlatter? 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

short ones 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

nice views indeed 😉

h4muf
    Free Member

Going on friday,then straight to Kirrotree.

Anyone got any tips? :mrgreen:

lowey

Anyone got any tips

Take a bike.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips?

ride all 3 loops 🙂

B@rney
    Free Member

Looks quality – That Rachena bird is grade A

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

that wooden drops easy ;p

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that wooden drops easy

yes, I know that now I’ve done it! The previous 2 times I wimped out after seeing riders’ back wheels kick up as they rolled over the upper transition 🙁

elaineanne
    Free Member

everytime we go whinlatter we do the north and south and blue routes…that blue route is real gud fun actually :mrgreen:

andytherocketeer

Anyone got any tips?

Yeah on 1 half of the red loop, when there’s a sign that points Red both Left and Right, don’t choose the wrong one, or you’ll cut out shedloads.

We did Blue then both bits of Red (one bit with the unintended shortcut). In the persisting rain. Was fun. Jetwash got most of the mud off us 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

First pic is lovely.

yetiguy
    Free Member

the wooden drop is easy once you have done it, but its a lot steeper than the pic shows.

I wimped out a few times, but now ace it every time after coming down the descent prior to it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but its a lot steeper than the pic shows.

I reckon it’s 45 degrees 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Riding down it is fine, it’s trying to drop off it that I find tricky – the landing is quite flat and not quite straight.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i darent try that wooden slope ….. im worried that my 😉 front wheel will buckaroo me off….. how do you land it…my son makes it look easy (and yeah those pics dont do it justice (its much steeper in real life ! :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

wot studded belt for trail centres?

hora
    Free Member

Nice pics. When the house is finished I am coming out to play. Promise. Part of the reason being you have a hot rider in your group!

alex222
    Free Member

is there any need for those shorts? I think not.

hora
    Free Member

To protect someones modesty. I most certainly dont think anyone should really wear just leggings on their own- especially middle-aged men.

lowey

In fairness, I rode both loops a few years ago at new year and the whole place wad frozen solid. I Hated it and vowed never to go back. However, I took the wife and kids over the summer and we did the blue which was fantastic, this has somewhat changed my mind and I find myself wanting to pop up and spend another day there. Give it another chance so to speak.

I wimped out on that drop too after seeing someone’s back wheel kicking up so far he nearly nose dived into the deck.

Oh, and Rechena is very easy on the eye 😆

neil853
    Free Member

But you don’t like trail centres? you’ve said MANY times 🙄

ourkidsam
    Free Member

My video, but not me (I can roll it though!)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNFrJ0ecqjo[/video]

neninja
    Free Member

I hope that Rachena is your girlfriend/wife. If not she needs to get a restraining order pronto 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But you don’t like trail centres? you’ve said MANY times

well, riding is riding, where ever you go 🙂 If I were going to that area I’d prefer the tour of Skiddaw or the Borrowdale Bash, but since someone else picked the venue, I wanted to make the best of it, and it was great fun :o)

It’s not so much “don’t like” as “prefer to avoid”, OK ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I hope that Rachena is your girlfriend/wife. If not she needs to get a restraining order pronto

does she look bothered ?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

You think Rachena is hot ?

dr_death
    Free Member

SFB – I’ve been meaning to ask…. The bogtrotters did the Borrowdale Bash in the middle of May and one of the lads came off and smashed up his elbow (wearing an Orange top in you photos)… How is he doing??? (it was me wot fixed him in A&E).

Steve

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(it was me wot fixed him in A&E).

Hey, thanks for that! I’ll draw this to his attention and he’ll be in touch 🙂 He started riding (gingerly) about a month ago (having been given very equivocal advice by the consultant), and he tries to limit his risk taking to avoid falling on it!

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol that video …so is it easier to jump off it or roll down the board….

the_hobbit_of_ossy
    Free Member

Hi Dr Death – good to hear from you, I’m fine now and back riding(even though I shouldn’t be) thanks to the great care of all the medical professionals at Carlisle.The consultant at Blackburn has told me never to ride a mountainbike again as they are too dangerous 🙁 The humerus will have a couple of holes in allegedly for another 10 – 16 months so i’ll have to be a tad careful and have inverted elbow body armour to protect my humerus. The physio discharged me on the 2nd visit as I had recovered 100% movement back in my shoulder and elbow which she thought was astounding and told me to take it easy and build up with weights from November(i’d been using them from August and hence my quick recovery) New bike will be arriving very soon!!!! 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

is there any need for those shorts? I think not.

On the contrary, I think they should be compulsory.

elaineanne
    Free Member

bogtrotters then is it that group…

simonralli2
    Free Member

On the contrary, I think they should be compulsory.

I think the idea is that the poor lass wears just the leggins without the shorts, but I could be wrong.

I went out today but I couldn’t find a nice leather studded belt to go with my dull-in-comparison alturas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Lots of pics of a Whinlatter ride :)’ is closed to new replies.