Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Lost our dog today :o(
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Don’t post on here much, but read quite often.

Been a sh*tty day and I just want to unload. Our normally chilled out soppy Doberman X Lab got a bit aggressive and domineering of our two children (10 & 6) and wife whilst I was at work today. Started around lunchtime when he nipped at my son who was sitting of sofa, then showed teeth and snarlled at my wife when told off (she was sitting next to my son at the time).

He continued showing teeth so was put outside, then would growl when my wife tried to go out to him. She thought something wasn’t right so booked a vet appointment to have him checked. I came home early afternoon thinking he might just be trying to be overly domineering. He’s just two and occassionally would try and be second in the pack if I’d been at home on holiday from work for any length of time, but never aggresive or showing of teeth. Anyway he was fine when I got home, just wanted to play ball etc…

I put a mussle on him (borrowed from a neighbour) for my wife to take him to the vets, whilst I worked from home looking after the kids, we just assumed they might do some blood tests or something. Half hour later my wife called in tears saying he had to be put down, he’d had a large brain hemorrhage with blood on the brain. Vets said we were lucky he didn’t lose control and go for one of us.

We got him when he was 3 months from a rescue centre and he loved being out in the forest, walking, running, biking and playing ball with the kids. Absolutely gutted…

Harvey, rest easy fella 🙁

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

😥

dazzlingboy

🙁 sad to hear that….mine’s not too good at the moment either. Vet in the morning and some big decisions to make…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that. Know how much they are part of the family. Just keep remembering the good times and that you gave him a great home.

bearnecessities

What a handsome fella. Sorry 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss. Our Whinnie died just before Christmas, she was old and we knew her time would come at some point, but that didn’t make it any easier.

Do what you need to do now, whether that’s to cry, go out on the bike, or do nothing but support your family. Also remember the good times and over time it will become easier, but they never leave you.

RIP Harvey

andyl
    Free Member

🙁

got to give me dog a hug now. Dusty in here…

kerv
    Free Member

😥

sweepy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that

khani
    Free Member

🙁

RoterStern
    Free Member

Sorry about your lost friend. I had to make the decision to have one of our dogs put down after she had a fit a month or two ago. She was 15 and had a lovely life after being rescued from the streets of Taiwan. Doesn’t make it any easier though. Now we are just waiting for the day the other dog can no longer which at the moment doesn’t seem long away.

Wookster

Oh mate. Bad news.

user-removed
    Free Member

Ah so sad. I’m sure his short life was a happy one. And yes, what a handsome fellah he was 🙁

CheesybeanZ

😥

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You did the right thing. Doesn’t make it any easier, I’m sure, but you did the right thing.

He’s chasing the eternal rabbit now.

tonyg2003

Our two border terriers went with a week of each other just over two months ago. Both aged 16yrs old. The house still seems too quiet without them.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words, feel empty as does the house.

brakes
    Free Member

sad times.
    I know this has been posted lots, but it might help us to remember why we endure the little buggers and put up with the grief that they cause us.
    I don’t have a dog, but I often chat to the ones I meet.

the dog paradox

wrecker
    Free Member

😥

Markie
    Free Member

So sorry 😥

jamj1974

So sorry chap. At least you know that when he was behaving out of character – it wasn’t really him or his fault. You have a couple of years of good memories and he had a couple of years of excellent life being loved. All dogs ask for is to be loved and it sounds like he had that.

J

duckman

He was a fine looking fella who you did everything for,including the hardest decision to make. Having had to make it myself,I feel for you, I really do. 🙁

jamj1974

Oh and he was definitely a handsome boy!

jamj1974

Oh and he was definitely a handsome boy!

murf
    Free Member

I’m not an animal fan but that’s a lovely looking dog 🙁

Scary to think that he could have gone for your children without warning though, I shudder at the thought of a big dog attacking my two.

mintsauce5
    Free Member

Sad news 🙁

jjj
    Free Member

Such a handsome dog 🙁

Drac

Poor thing but it’s for the best can’t let them suffer.

I was close to losing my dog on Saturday but we luckily had a better outcome.

Dogs are really very much part of the family.

pikey999
    Free Member

So sorry to hear this terrible news. Hard enough to lose a dog but under such circumstances really rubbish.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – I feel for you. It sounds like you gave him a great home, and did the right thing in not prolonging his suffering.

If the house is too quiet, why not consider adopting another? Of course he won’t be the same as the dog that you lost, but will have his own personality. I’ve never had dogs, but always cats. Whenever I lost one, I have always adopted another the next day. For me at least, it really helps to have a new one to occupy time and take my mind off of the one that is gone. And it makes a spot in the shelter available, too.

piemonster

😥

GolfChick
    Free Member

almost cried reading this, terrible terrible news. They become such huge parts of our lives that we’re never ready to say good bye but when it comes at a time that you’re not ready for and so much earlier than it should of been.

You’ll never forget him but things will get easier.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just bought that dog paradox book for my Dad when his old boy goes…

Nobby

🙁

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sad news fella. Must have been a tough decision to take.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad news, I feel for you and your family, tough for your wife to have to make that decision.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

🙁

back2basics
    Free Member

echoing thoughts already posted. sad news and all the best 🙁

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Lost our dog today :o(’ is closed to new replies.