Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lost in the system. Kids and education content.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So long story short, 6 yr old son was struggling at school 18 months or so ago, asked on here and got some great advice.
    Worked hard with him and got him to work hard at school.
    Forward wind to Tuesday night and parents evening for yr 3. His teacher, one of the two that share duties to teach the 35 kids in his class starts to talk. She strikes me as tho she doesn’t even know who he is, I ask a few questions regarding his backwards writing etc. oh I’ve never noticed that etc. Tells us his levels (which are just ok) that’s it. We leave, disappointed!
    Tonight, after gym he mentions that his teacher asked to see him at lunchtime, “why” I asked, because he’s got the best results in the maths and literacy test today and is a level 3a and that he should tell the adult who picks him up!
    WTF
    And help!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I’m not sure I understand what you are asking.

onehundredthidiot

Great news on the results.

If the teacher was on 30th appointment out of 35 they just might have got brain freeze. Happens to me at parent’s evening but then i just ask for a couple of minutes to gather my thoughts and am honest about it.

ask if you can have another progress check?

blurty
    Free Member

It’s only semi useful having a parent’s evening so early in the school year. The teacher will only just be getting to grips with the class. Not really surprised if he/ she didn’t know the full SP on your child

Go back in if you’re not happy

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m asking how can a kid who should really appear on her radar due to his previous learning difficulties not even register anymore. He would write a simple sum as
    5=3+2 from the middle of the book towards the left.
    When I asked about it she genuinely had no idea and she must have seen us look at each other.
    Do I go see the headmaster, do I go see her, do I see the other teacher of the class or do I accept 35 kids isn’t ideal!

wrightyson
    Free Member

And yes really chuffed with his results today. Thankyou.

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe he isnt struggling with those things anymore?

seadog101

Top results news is always fantastic.

When you say backwards writing do you mean back to front? That was one of Da Vinci’s tricks – Bodes Well!

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

He’s aged 6 and he is a 3a? Bloody good show and well done to the wee man! Currently working with 14 yr olds who are still only working at level 2.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Three two and five were always backwards. But the day we saw a book he’d brought home by mistake we were genuinely gob smacked. It was from the centre of the book (as in the staples) to the left and entirely backwards for ten seperate sums! No one had ever flagged it up till we spotted it.
    As you say hopefully its not a problem anymore. The lads a lot happier in his work now, and I’m sure the odd bling result is going to help him.
    Down to us to keep pushing him I guess.

onehundredthidiot

Just the teacher, may have been genuine reason as I said. Don’t go to the head yet no real need.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

35 kids certainly isn’t ideal. Research shows that 16 is the optimal class size. In Scotland the max class size is 33. Are we really serious about education?

I would seek further contact with the school. You are looking to develop a constructive relationship with the school, not a combative one. No teacher is deliberately going to be ignoring your lad, but it is difficult to fully differentiate with 35 kids in front of you.

glupton1976
    Free Member

So, he’s 6 and getting top marks in the class. What exactly is the problem here?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If she’s only been teaching him for a month and a half, and he’s getting such good results, then there’s a good chance he’s not doing it anymore?

project
    Free Member

some teachers attend school and have little intrest in the lessons just like some of the kids.

drslow
    Free Member

In a similar situation. Go to the head immediately. Not to complain but to get more detail on what’s happening at the school. Take an active role in your child’s education. Schools are different from when we grew up and actually tailor the teaching to the kids, however you need to be actively involved to benefit. Happy to talk to you offline.

boxelder

35 kids certainly isn’t ideal. Research shows that 16 is the optimal class size

But the OP mentions two teachers, so unless part time, the ratio is 1:17.5.

Ring the school and ask for 10 appointment with teacher to ‘clarify a few things’. Then just be honest and let them know your worries. I had 20 mins today and phoned a couple of parents and you could tell without seeing them how much it was appreciated – if only we had more time to do it.
    You can buy Maths and English practice exercise books – get a couple and see for yourself how he copes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How pushy and middle class to you want to be?
    A little speak to the teacher
    A lot speak to the head

wrightyson
    Free Member

To clarify he was six when we picked up his “quirks” now 18 months on so 8 next year. How the “middle class” bollox managed to get thrown in is beyond me, the wife goes into school and helps in his, the 10 yr old daughters and other classes too so has a good relationship with some of the teachers. Does that constitute middle class you tool?

cvilla

I am not a teacher, but have a child at primary. Maths seems to be taught in different ways, at least to us old folk;), anyway they seem to allow a few alternative methods to show children different ways for maths and allow them to go with the way that works for them. It maybe this, I do ask for the teachers (sometimes) to explain to us parents so at least we know when homework comes home.
    Anyway results sound good.

onehundredthidiot

In that case why not get the missus to chat with the teacher about the test results and if it seems appropriate then bring up the parent’s evening.

Going straight to the head is accelerating a, potential, non situation.

Real people have conversations.

seadog101

How pushy and middle class to you want to be?

Sorry Junkyard, but wanting, hoping or expecting kids to do well at school isn’t middle class. Just shows that you actually care. To quote the head at my lads school ‘I wish more parents would come and raise their concerns’.

Cougar

Is he left handed?

Junkyard
    Free Member

So the middle class head thought it would be good if more of the parents were middle class

Fascinating.

Did it need a wink?
    Does this?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lost in the system. Kids and education content.’ is closed to new replies.