Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Lost count…. but trying to give up smokes, again.
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Last one was last Friday after work. So nearly a week now.

Managed a few beers the other night, no probs. Also managed to not be too fussed by the whole coffee / smoke soon after waking up. Just using NRT mints. Feel more commited this time, seeing as the last pack I bought was over $30! At the weekend I sat with a $50 note and thought about the fact that I would be utterly crazy to get a lighter and set fire to it, and essentially that’s what I’ve been doing for years. Kinda sunk in deep. Had a stressful year but smoking isn’t the answer.

So to the few that still do, keep trying.

cokie

I’m guessing you’re not based in the UK, as you’re using $$?
    If you are, drop me an email.

You’re certainly on the right tracks. Realizing you need to stop is the biggest hurdle. Now it’s about finding the right support, advice and treatment to assist you.

Have you tried vaping or other NRT treatment?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nah not keen on vaping tbh

Patches give me uber weirdly surreal dreams

Tried Champix twice but think I ceased too soon – was like “hey I’ve stopped” but didn’t last long.

NRT mints seem to be working for me. I’ve never believed in hypnotherapy etc.

Yeah, I’m in Oz. Pack of 20 Marlboro Gold is about $25 from a supermarket and 30+ from a petrol station.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Everyone is different, and responds to different methods, but when I stopped, I basically sat down one evening with a notepad and wrote down pluses and minuses for smoking, and kept looking at that whenever I felt the need, helped no end. I also avoided drink and social events for a bit too, as I’m pretty weak willed at the best of times, never mind with a beer.

I didn’t bother with patches and stuff, no reason really, just didn’t think I’d need them IIRC. Tbh the biggest reason was that I had applied for another job that paid around 50% more, but they had a drug testing scheme, so I had to kick the weed really, and so kicking the fags made sense too.

Best of luck, it isn’t easy, but that was 20 years ago, and I haven’t been tempted since, maybe it’s just the lack of exposure now due to the smoking ban, but I find the smell of a smoker pretty repulsive now*…

Though oddly, still quite like the smell of a pipe or cigar!

binners

Keep going fella! You’ll feel so much better for it

I’m nearly 3 years off them now. Still vaping, but hey.

If you need any motivation, then do what I did. Put the money you would have spent on fags to one side. In less than a year of non-smoking, the money that would have gone to Benson and Hedges bought this instead…

maybe it’s just the lack of exposure now due to the smoking ban, but I find the smell of a smoker pretty repulsive now*…

I’m the same. I now find the smell of second-hand smoke absolutely gopping!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m optimistic this time. But I’ve said that before.

I’ve had 2 colleagues badgering me (both clin psych’s) in a nice way. “Oh wouldn’t it be nice to see your daughter grow up, and walk her down the aisle when she gets married?”

I’m certainly the minority at work. Not the usual crew, hanging out with the smoking bosses, getting the gossip and inside info. hehe

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers Binners

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Has quitting smoking affected anyone’s mental health? Preferably in a positive way?

A vape pen arrived in the post this morning; I’m gonna give it a better go than last time…..

shermer75
    Free Member

One thing that really helps me is using the money – $30 or £11 or whatever- and buying something else as a treat instead.

binners

I’m not sure whether this counts as mental health, but certainly on the ‘not feeling like a mug’ front, I no longer have a little voice at the back of my head dictating my daily routine

So when I’m sat with people in the pub having a conversation, it no longer says to me “Oi! Dickhead! Isn’t it time for you to go and stand in the car park in the rain for ten minutes? Off you trot then!”

It’s very liberating 😀

One thing I’ve found is that in a group of smokers, once a few start vaping and pack in the fags, the rest soon follow. All my mates used to smoke, now not one of them does.

As smokers, we all absolutely hate being nagged about packing in smoking and having our own self-destructive stupidity pointed out to us. but if you just switch on to the e-cigs, with no big drama, then technically you’re sort of still smoking, and therefore not a deserter. Its just easier. So it works.

I see they’re prescribing e-cig stuff to pack in smoking now. Good. Its by far the most effective method

northernmatt

I have just finished a pack of tabs this morning and I’ve now broken out my e-cig to have another go at giving up. I’m going to do what binners said and bung the money in a pot to go towards bike funds.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers Binners.

TBH, alot of my mates have quit, some still go outside for a vape when I go for a ciggy though.

Part of it is a social crutch for me though, just go outside for five minutes on my own to chill out when in a hot sweaty pub.

I’ve read about people feeling “empowered” by the fact they’ve given up. I’m hoping there’ll be some noticeable health benefits in terms of feeling more energetic, especially when cycling etc. But then I had a google w/regards to smoking and depression/anxiety which is something I suffer with (or at least especially this time of year).

Now it’s gone grim and wet, probably best to have a go at quitting as I won’t be spending my Friday nights in a pub beer garden tanning roll ups with a mate!

Might start putting twenty quid a week in a pot instead (so I can buy some coke for the social occasions 😉

gingerbllr
    Free Member

6 months or so clear.

To anyone going the vape route – get a good one. Get one that you can change the settings on. Dial it in so it hits the spot. Lotta people go for the cheap supermarket vape option, and they’re shit so they dont keep using them.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have also given up nearly 6 months now.

I still have my emergency tobacco (50g pack) around and the vaping kit.

I just gave up because I refused to be controlled by the craving.

I can smoke a pack of 25g tobacco in 5 days easily and most of my tobacco are 50g pack from Germany … 😆

It’s all in the mind as far as I am concerned.

Mind you I do enjoy smoking but I thought it is also a luxury I can do without. 😛

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I still have my emergency tobacco (50g pack)

Does not make any sense when typed before –

I refused to be controlled by the craving

….

binners

Good luck Matt and David, and anyone else packing in. I’ve never looked back. But I know it’s not bloody easy. I smoked for the best part of 30 years. It was a similar thread on here that made me think ‘I’ve had enough of this!’, so please keep coming back with progress reports, or just to shout into the void! 🙂

Do put the money away, so you can see it building up, until you’re well into decent new bike territory.

I’d also echo what gingerbllr said…. if you’re vaping, go into a good shop, have a chat with them, try a few, and treat yourself to a decent one! They’re great!

Best of luck you lot

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

roll up a $50 note and smoke it.

Peyote
    Free Member

Last time I had a tab was Jan 4th this year, I’d read Binners’ threads for years on this subject and the one around that time poked the decision in to me.

I’ve been vaping the past 10 months and it’s great, zero obvious health benefits, but I don’t smell and so much cheaper. Plus I can still take fag breaks!

If you do go the vape route, as has been said try a few and get one you like. You don’t have to splash out too much £30-£40 will get you a decent piece of kit (mod and tank), and the liquid can be had stupidly cheap online (I like Rejuiced).

SaxonRider

My brother did the same as you, binners. He gave up smoking, and used the savings to fund his new Tarn together with a Marley he bought for his wife.

Nice one all. 8)

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

I packed fags in 6 years ago now. I don’t think i could have done it without the e-cigs.
    I haven’t touched a cigarette in all that time and i reckon i’ve saved around £15,000.
    I did a lung function test 30 years ago and the doc was disappointed with the results and put it down to smoking, i tried another test 6 months ago and it was off the scale for my age,doc reckoned i had the lung power of a 30yr old non-smoker.
    I’m still vaping,but hey-ho i’ll take my chances – fags were gonna kill me anyway.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I stopped years ago. Very difficult. I had stopped and started a few times but it was always after a few beers when I caved in.

How I did it was a cold turkey/nictorette method.

I got the weakest strength gum I could, then I waited until I was absolutely gagging for a smoke, then I would chew some gum. The nicotine hit would ease the cravings. After a couple of weeks, I even enjoyed the flavour of the gum, even though this was back in the day when the stuff tasted vile. That’s when I realised the trick that the smoking was pulling on me. My brain was just happy to get it’s fix, after about 4 weeks, switched to normal gum and it worked.

Good luck, it’s not easy.

richardkennerley

When I gave up, nights out drinking were my biggest downfall. I found patches way too strong, so on a night out I would take a patch cut into small squares, sticking one on when I felt the need. I’d chew on cocktail sticks to keep my hands busy and at the end of the night take all the patches off.

I’m glad vaping wasn’t a thing back then otherwise i’f never have got the nicotine out my system.

In the meantime, I leased a new car with the money I was saving, therefore knowing that if I started smoking again I would be brassic!

It worked and I haven’t smoked for 10yrs, but I still miss it, I actually like the smell and I’m pretty sure I could quickly get addicted again if I let myself!!

One great advantage is being liberated from physically having to buy tabs, working out in the morning if there are enough left for the day or stopping at the shop on the way home from work or just nipping out specially. What a pain it was!

woody2000

Ten years stopped next March after probably 20 years of smoking. In my life I’ve done some effing stupid stuff, and smoking is the only thing I regret. Keep at it everyone, it genuinely does get easier and easier. Cold turkey for me, but I like to suffer 😈

As for improving mental health, stopping turned me in to an absolute health nazi for a bit, so maybe not in the short term 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

In the meantime, I leased a new car with the money I was saving,

Who from?

Did you put it your name or your mates?

tazzymtb

it took bloody ages to finally kick the habit, I ended up working out what my spend on fags every month was and then rather than saving money and eventually buying a shiny bike, i bought the bike first.
    A: there was no sodding way I could then afford fags and
    B: every time I got all aggro i’d go for a ride on the shiny toy and chill the flip out

richardkennerley

gobuchul – Member
    In the meantime, I leased a new car with the money I was saving,
    Who from?

Did you put it your name or your mates?

Eh? Seems a bit of an odd question to ask?

northernmatt

Eh? Seems a bit of an odd question to ask?

On any other day yes it would be, but today isn’t any other day.

woody2000

On any other day yes it would be, but today isn’t any other day.

Indeed…

richardkennerley

I’ve been out on my bike, what have I missed!?

woody2000
    richardkennerley

Jesus Christ!! Well it made my train journey home fly by and I’m only 7 pages in…….!

rogermoore

Good luck OP and others quitting at the moment. Try this: picture in your head yourself in the future as an OAP. Will you still be smoking? If not, when between now and then will you stop? Sounds a bit daft and it’s only a little thing, but it worked well for me!
    RM.

northernmatt

Well, I caved this morning and cadged one off one of the lads at work, but I now have a weekend where I should be able to just not even think about having one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has quitting smoking affected anyone’s mental health? Preferably in a positive way?

I never realised i was so grumpy in the morning due to needing a cigarette not craving anything meant i just woke up. When you smoke you think it heps you relax when you stop you realise it made you tense and the ” relaxing” bit was just a junkie get a fix and temporarily;y satisfying the graving

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well bugger me. Turns out Friday evening and a few whisky’s and I’m all like “well I could just nip out and buy 20”. Fark I’d love a smoke now. Must resist!!!!!! (It would involve finding lights for my bike, coat, gloves, lighter and a trip to the garage). Strange that a few beers wasn’t a problem but a few Scotch’s are.

binners

It dependswhat your triggers are. I struggled after i’d Had a nice meal. It just seemed natural to sit back and light up.

Take the cravings away by mentally speccing up the build of the bike you’re going to buy yourself with all the money you’ve not spanked on fags 😀

zanelad
    Free Member

As my dad said “It’s easy to give up smoking, I’ve done it hundreds of times”

reggiegasket
    Free Member

people still smoke?

bearnecessities

Helpful

It’s actually remarkably easy once you’ve made the decision. The trick is to stick to that decision.

I’m afraid you’ll be never one of those lucky bastards that enjoys a fag with a few pints at the pub. They’re some weird breed. If you get all hedonistic and fancy a ‘good old days’ evening of some wine/beer/meths and a fag to top it off, you’ll be a smoker again within the week.

However, be prepared to get fat, fast. I put on a stone in a week without compensating with food. That was the worse part 🙂

funkmasterp

Keep at it OP. Quitting drinking at the same time and altering my daily routine is what enabled me to quit. My willpower dissolved as soon as alcohol became involved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Lost count…. but trying to give up smokes, again.’ is closed to new replies.