Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Looking for advice on a bashguard (shimano SLX crank)
  • cazum
    Free Member

hey guys

just waiting on my rocky altitude getting delivered but am looking to convert it from 3 x 10 to 2 x 10 with a bash guard.

i found a video on how to complete this task looks easy…

anyway it was suggested that as my current setup will be
    42/32/24 Tooth

i should be looking to do

bash guard/36/24

does that sound right to folk? mostly tricky trails and downhill trails ect….

could anyone help me in if all crank bash guards are standard size or do i need a specific one also if specific one which would you recommend

andypandy85
    Free Member

Sounds about right, 10 minute job providing you have the right bolts for the bash guard. E13 guards are the nuts, but it’s personal preference really.

cazum
    Free Member

so the e13 ones would fit the shimano slx crank?

looking at some bashguards they mention 36t ….. ect…. would i need to get one that says 38t or above to cover the new 36t ring or would a 36t bashguard cover a 36t ring?

thanks

guys

Junkyard
    Free Member

36 tooth bash means up tp 36 tooth will be smaller
    Might be worth checking on SLX as older 9 speed models needed an SLX or Saint bash iirc.
    Dont know if this is an issue with new 10 speed tbh

personally I kept with 32 but i only really use it for big mountain rides and you do loose some top end gears- would not really want this on an XC orientated bike

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Might be worth checking on SLX as older 9 speed models needed an SLX or Saint bash iirc.
    Dont know if this is an issue with new 10 speed tbh

Not true. I’ve got 2 9 speed SLX cranksets on 2 different bikes and I’m running non Shimano bash guards on both.

36t bash will cover a 36t ring, so get a 36t.

cazum
    Free Member

hummmmm

so if i wanna go 36t then i need to get a 38t bashguard?

and not all bashguards are compatiable?

sorry for being stupid

lol

thanks

calum

cazum
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80486

what you guys think of them? would be getting the red of black to match my bike

wolly
    Free Member

They’re awesome

cazum
    Free Member

nice!!!!

right thats that sorted then…. now just need to get a 36t chainring…… oh and my bike when it arrives lol

cheers for all your helps guys

cazum
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-truvativ-mountain-bike-chainring-38t-104pcd-10-speed-/300839232273?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item460b6a6311

anyone know if that would fit a 2012 shimano SLX (3 x 10) crank?

am alittle confused lol and until i get the bike in a day or two i can’t get the exact crank model….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Looking for advice on a bashguard (shimano SLX crank)’ is closed to new replies.