Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Looking for advice, comments and views…Riding a road frame one size smaller?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Long and short, I’m not a hardcore roadie, I ride 1-2hrs normally just for another way of fitness, although I am in ride London this year so am preparing for that. Last week I managed to wreck my frame (Scott cr1-sl).

I’ve been trying to find a replacement but nothing is coming up. I have however found an older s-works roubaix that is ideal but it’s a 54 not the 56 which I am at 5’11.

Measuring my bike next to it I can get the saddle up to height easily with the seatpost, albeit quite a lot of seatpost out the frame, and I can get the bars to my current height on the existing steerer tube. The difference post to stem is about 1/2inch.

I walked away from the bike last week as I just felt it looked too small, it looks tiny, even though I could make it fit… I think!

In truth I’m a bit desperate, but I also don’t want to even buy it as a quick fix if it’s not right as I’ve got to do a lot of hours on it this summer.

Anyone have any views or experience of riding a frame one size down?

lunge

If you can get the saddle in the right place in relation to the BB (don’t forget it’s not just height, it’s layback too) and the bar to within 1/2″ then surely a longer stem will sort the rest out? Saying that, if you don’t like the look of it, you’ll not ride or be constantly over analysing it so be careful. Can you ride it in the setup you need before parting with your hard earned?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I had a quick ride and it didn’t feel too bad, a bit cramped if I’m overly critical but then it was a shorter stem than I use. The guy selling it is not heaps shorter than me, but shorter legs if that makes sense.

mind you, I’m also the guy who bought a cx bike long ago that I felt was right, did heaps of training and rode the 3 peaks on it, and then found out that it was a massive 59 or maybe 60cm frame.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not sure i’d consider sizing down on a relaxed sportive style bike, they already tend to be a bit squashed. Something a bit racier 1 size down will probably be closer to the fit of what you had.

prawny

I’d say the opposite really a smaller sportive bike won’t have a stupidly tall headtube so wth a long stem and seatpost you’ll get a lighter frame and reasonable position.

It does depend though, I’m ‘about’ the same height as you and have ridden a 54 or 56 in the past, ETT between 550 and 560 works for me, but I’m not massively fussy about my position.

prawny

Just had a look at a geo chart, id go for the 54 personally so I could get the front to a reasonable height, 190mm HT on the 56, my 56cm commuter is 150mm and I only run a spacer on that so I can fit my phone to my stem without cutting the steerer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Looking for advice, comments and views…Riding a road frame one size smaller?’ is closed to new replies.