Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Local authority online application forms – any tips?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Looking at an application for a position with a local authority. I’m used to central government applications, which involve providing specific examples of meeting specific competencies, this one just says “what experience do you have that makes you the right person for the role”

Anyone suggest the best way of approaching this – I can look at providing examples against their stated competencies, or I can give examples against the key responsibilities under the job description, or I can give examples against the different areas of the person spec.

Trying to hit all the points across all their different requirements runs the risk of turning a short essay into a full dissertation – is there a preferred way of structuring an appropriate response to such a vague question?

Cheers

iancity1
    Free Member

As someone who went from central government, to local authority and back to central again, I would suggest giving examples ‘against the responsibilities in the job description’ personally …

I found LA much more relaxed about ‘competencies’ and meeting them than central government.

Good luck!

MoreCashThanDash

Good, that’s the approach I took.

Civil service competency forms are a balls ache.

br
    Free Member

Before going through the effort, find out if someones’ already decided for the role…

Onzadog
    Free Member

^Thats good advice.

They like box ticking yes persons. Reference everything they have in the same order. That makes it really easy to run down your application and tick boxes.

I once got the tick for saying, I have no experience of xyz, I am however, aware of the need for it in the role.

Hit the key words and phrases, win a prize.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Local authority online application forms – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.