Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Llandegla?
  • somouk
    Free Member

Hi All,

Will be looking to head up to Llandegla the weekend with my brother. Any hints and tips to make it a more enjoyable trip? Which is the best trail to ride?

He’s into more freeride/DH and I’m into XC so the best compromise between the two would be ideal.

Cheers,
    Mart

dibboid
    Free Member

Do the black. Similar skill level to red at cannock. Oh and take money for tea and cake in the cafe at the end. 😛

grum
    Free Member

Make sure you do the optional jumpy bits, especially the one going off left near the end, down a rocky bit onto woodwork.

AlexSimon

Do the black. There’s nothing scary in it.

There’s opportunity for you/him to repeat a couple of jumps bits on the way around and then he can session the freeride course near the cafe.

Doug
    Free Member

Make sure you do the optional jumpy bits, especially the one going off left near the end, down a rocky bit onto woodwork.

Except it’s right at the moment. The normal route up to that point is closed so you get to it by coming up the short red jump section from the fireroad.

somouk
    Free Member

Sounds good then, thanks for the quick replies.

philfive
    Free Member

Have fun, I came a cropper on the freeride yesterday and broke mt scaphoid and ribs but the freeride is very good.

somouk
    Free Member

Well I went up there today and must say I was mighty dissapointed.

We rode the red in the end as we had my brothers girlfriend with us and it was mighty boring. Lots and lots and lots of climbing but with seemingly no return on the downhill side of things.

The pump track/skills area and freeride were good and the cafe food was immense!

tthew

Should have done the black then!

I love Llandegla, nothing particularly hard or technical, but so much high speed fun.

composite
    Free Member

When I first went we rode just the red on a miserable day and didn’t bother going back for 2 years.

Went the other day for the first time sine then on a sunny day and rode the blacks and I realised what every one see’s in it. We had a great day out.

somouk
    Free Member

I can’t see the extra 2K of black over red really adding too much into it.

If it wasn’t for that first climb we were considering going round to try the blacks. We didn’t really know how far round we were so were disappointed after that last slog up hill to turn a corner and be greeted by the visitors centre.

Even the Marin trail rewards the days climbing with a final descent that almost makes up for it.

Much prefer Cannock or FOD for a better balance of climbing to descending.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Unlucky.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

People who moan about the climbing in llandegla, phap!

You ride a mountain bike, that’s a bit of a give away really, is it not?

Hire a chair lift if your a slob, 20 mins of climbing max if you have a modicum of fitness.

MTFU.

Haze

Take the black sections out and then moan that it’s boring…

project
    Free Member

has the snow gone yet. 😀

llamaknob
    Free Member

I agree with most on here Degge is an awesome spot to ride and yes ya gotta do the black to get the most out of it.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I can’t see the extra 2K of black over red really adding too much into it.

Not sure where your getting 2K from its a lot more than that, it was around 6Km (old bit of parallel, Dave the fox and high northshore etc)before they added the second part of parallel universe and obviously there is now the B-line (2.6 on its own).

I ride it a couple of times a week and really enjoy the red, but the payback in limited (although Julia’s trail at the end adds a lot now), but with out the black you are missing “most” of the fun stuff.

dibboid
    Free Member

but with out the black you are missing “most” of the fun stuff.

+1 I wouldn’t have done the red only even as quite a new rider. I did the black on my 3rd ever attempt at “proper” mountain biking! As myself and others have said…. Nothing scary!

the cafe food was immense!

Re my first reply…. I did say to take cafe money! You were warned! 🙂

mulv1976
    Free Member

The black at degla is more like the red on the monkey on the chase – you needn’t have missed it out. You’d be stupid to write it off just because you missed out the best bits!

dibboid
    Free Member

The black at degla is more like the red on the monkey on the chase – you needn’t have missed it out. You’d be stupid to write it off just because you missed out the best bits!

I said that in original reply before they went! ^^^^^

somouk
    Free Member

It was more of a confidence thing for my brothers Mrs than us not wanting to ride it.

The 2k of black difference is only the difference in the overall length, didn’t know how far it would be actually on the black and not the red.

I may be interested in an couple of the hire bikes they have up there so may be taking another trip up so will take a look at the black, it had better be good now you’ve all defended it!

Scapegoat

🙄

DJTC
    Free Member

llandegla has the easiest climbing going for a trail centre and has high quality downhill to back it up. what you moaning about!

mrphil
    Free Member

Agree with what DJTC says.

Missed out B-line which imo is the best part.

The 2nd part of the black is also good going where it cuts off to the rocky section. Hit that in the dry and it’s fast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the black pinkinsh/purple sections are the best bit, they are however not that hard. It is possible to generate a lot of speed on them and screw up badly. Probably best they are marked as black an perhaps a double diamond would be good to deter people from having a go. If you can ride and jump it’s not an issue, no worse than spooky wood, the end of Ae etc.

loddrik
    Free Member

Lots of climbing??! At Llandegla…!

I think you must have ridden it backwards…

dibboid
    Free Member

Lots of climbing??! At Llandegla…! I think you must have ridden it backwards..

+1! Pmsl 😀

mrphil
    Free Member

Loads of climbing @ Degla lol…

Scapegoat

^^ 8)

mrphil
    Free Member

Thanks Scapegoat

Get on it and ride. Don’t moan just keep on going 🙂

Took 2 years to work to this mind.

somouk
    Free Member

Lol, I did think we’d ridden it backwards at times!!

extremenik
    Free Member

Need to ride it fast to enjoy :mrgreen:

The down bits at least!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla?’ is closed to new replies.