Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Living in San Francisco – any hints/experience?
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

I’ve recently interviewed for a job in SF and it’s looking likely, but I’ve got no knowledge of the area, other than that it’s supposed to be a great city. I’ve lived in Brighton for the past eight years and I’ve heard it’s a similar (if larger) mix of culture and atmosphere, along with the same problems like drugs and homelessness.

Have any STW-ers lived there? Or currently live there?

The main questions I have are around cost of living. I’ll be looking to rent an apartment for one, so any ideas of good neighbourhoods would be good also.

Thanks in advance.

peterfile
    Free Member

A mate of mine is from San Francisco, he lived in the UK for a few years but has moved back to San Francisco permenantly again. I can get him to email you if you don’t get any responses on here from people who actually live there (although I’m sure you’ll get lots of useful comments from people who’ve visited on holiday).

He’s quite helpful for stuff about the city, he’s some sort of travel ambassador, really knows the place inside out.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thank you – that would be great – if I don’t get many comments i’ll let you know.

spw3

Hi

Never lived there but visited every 8 weeks for a few years when my GF lived there. I loved it. Weather-wise it’s like the UK ought to be: a few degrees warmer than here all year. Never gets too hot or proper cold. Stops raining in April and doesn’t rain again until October. Biking in Marin, surfing on the coast and snowboarding in the Sierras at the weekend. It does share some broad similarities with Brighton and its the most “European” city ive visited in the United States. But its expensive to live there, especially property. IIRC the average house price is now $450,000. Nice areas I stayed in or visited are SOMA (South of Market), Noe Valley and Pacific Heights in the city, Mill Valley in Marin but you will have to have bagged a very well paid job to live in Marin. Enjoy!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Awesome place. Ten degrees colder than anywhere 20 miles away, but awesome place.

Mintyjim

I lived and worked there for about 9 months 7 years ago(company paid for the apartment so can’t comment on rent although I imagine it is expensive especially if you live nearer the city centre) but I absolutely loved it there! Great people, food, live music, weather and access to other amazing places.
    As above, very European feel.
    God I miss my time there, especially when I was only 27 and making the most of it. Ahhh, American girls, Santa Cruz, Route 1, Vegas, Tahoe, V8 pick-up trucks, Northern California coast line…
    I wouldn’t even question the opportunity, rent might be expensive but the States is cheap in general to compensate.
    Jammy bugger…

willard

Visited there a few years ago and our company has an office there (but I’ve never been… Grrr!). Loved the place. People are really friendly and laid back and it just never seems that hectic.

If you are due to be working in Silicon Valley, be prepared for an hour commute in in the morning. A friend in our other office has that and says it is pretty standard.

2tyred

Friend of mine moved there years ago and lives in Oakland. Nice neighbourhood (although parts of Oakland are distinctly less nice), not too expensive for the bay area, good bike commute distance to the city and Berkeley, pretty quick BART ride from Oakland to the city too.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – really helpful. Particularly like the sound of the climate.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Be sure to wear a flower in your hair…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I spent summer 1990 there and been back a few times, can’t get enough of the place, but it was more of a holiday experience than real life.

I loved in Noe Valley (& worked in Noe Valley Cyclery)

Bear in mind 2 weeks leave pa for US workers! Lots of great eateries, fair bit of culture, lots of riding in the Marin Headlands (on and off road).

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Lived here for 66 years.

I’m thinking about staying.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

SF ‘hoods

Not 100% spot on but still a good place to start.

Like Repack said, its ok 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Living in San Francisco – any hints/experience?’ is closed to new replies.