Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Linked In use and getting the most from it
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Signed up and it’s popped up a few useful job ads and things like that but as I’m also out for some freelance contract work I’m wondering if anyone has any good tips on using it. Been trying to comment and contribute to stuff. Anything else??

bristolbiker
    Free Member

….Pulls up chair……

binners

Back away from the screen, turn around slowly …… NOW RUN!!!! FASTER!!!!

Congratulations. You’re now on the radar of every slimy, morally bankrupt, low-life recruitment gimp on the planet. Don’t believe me? Check your inbox

alfabus
    Free Member

I just treat it like an online copy of my CV.

I get quite a lot of calls from recruiters (IT/Development stuff) which seem to be as a result of it. I’ve also got my CV on a job board related to my particular sector, and that generates lots of interest too.

Its a bit annoying at the moment, because I’m getting 2 or 3 calls a day from headhunters, but I’ve got a contract for 4 more months, so I’m not interested *yet*, but don’t want to tell them to go away, because I will be interested soon!

Dave

mcobie
    Free Member

If you really want to “learn” how to use LinkedIn search out your local NetLinked group; as a business tool and for getting new clients it’s been great for me.

aftershock
    Free Member

Its just Facebook for professionals, I have been on it for years, what it has given me is opportunities I otherwise would not have got.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/shaun-turner/23/31b/844

ononeorange

If you want to avoid any headhunter calls, then work in Finance as there are no jobs. I’ve been on it for a couple of years and never had one contact from a headhunter.

stabilizers

I find it very good. It got me my current contract and I wont be surprised if it continues like that.
    Be selective on who you connect to. Dont give it access to you address book for example

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Its a bit annoying at the moment, because I’m getting 2 or 3 calls a day from headhunters, but I’ve got a contract for 4 more months, so I’m not interested *yet*, but don’t want to tell them to go away, because I will be interested soon!

I’d live with 2 or 3 calls a day… seems like the Tasmania job market is very slow…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got a job title that sounds way better than what I do. EMEA operations leader.

You would have thought I was top dog!

I’ve had some seriously funny job prospectus recruiters calling up. One was managing billion dollar budgets for a water company. I guess my point is it is what you make it. They contacted me through my work’s switchboard, basically, they didn’t “message” me though LinkedIn.

So if you have your profile private or public makes a difference, and if “recruiters” can find you through other channels than the typical “messaging”. Don’t know if it means the recruiters that approached me don’t feel like spending to upgrade to a premium account or not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Linked In use and getting the most from it’ is closed to new replies.