• This topic has 45 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Lime Pickle.
  • singlespeedstu

Is there anything saltier/viler/nicer/cant stop eating it’r despite it’s vile salty lovelyness?

singlespeedstu

Oh and it gives me the shits.
    But I just can’t stop eating it. 😕

kelvin

Is it the devil’s pickle? If so, I love him. The curry house in Peebles has the best lime pickle I have ever tasted.

Murray

Brinjal pickle is even better. Salty, sweet, meaty (but veggie). Needs really strong cheddar though.

anagallis_arvensis

Aubergine pickle is better.

fin25
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

chvck
    Free Member

Big, big fan. It’s not so great in flapjacks though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pataks garlic pickle.
    I just eat it out of the jar.

zippykona

Polish off all the lime pickle with your poopadoms and sit there with your mouth on fire then THEN the Cobra arrives.
    Aaaaah sweet relief. One of life’s simplest pleasures.

singlespeedstu

**** Pataks.
    You need the real deal from your local curry house to take the skin off the roof of your mouth for the win. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Nah, brinjal every time.
    Or even aubergine, sometimes.

scotroutes

Aubergine pickle is surprisingly good………

……… given that I hate aubergine.

Coyote
    Free Member

What zippykona said.

singlespeedstu

Had some Aubergine cooked up with brown sugar and balsamic glaze a couple of weeks ago in spain and nice as it was it wasn’t
    Salty, limey, pickely, take your head offy and leave your mouth with no skinny.
    This discussion is about lime pickle so all you pussy Aubergine pickle eating lightweights can go and powder your noses in another thread. 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Top tip…why not try some,

http://geetasfoods.com/products/chilli-pickle-245g/

I had some of this & it blew my gob off, I ended up taking it to work & giving it to some Asian guys who cooked stuff on a weekend. Even they said it was a bit on the warm side.

**** Pataks.

I totally disagree on the garlic pickle issue.

kayla1
    Free Member

I used to like it but now can’t stand it for some reason. OH makes his own, it’s **** ridiculous.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

All pickle is good.

I used to work in Bradford, just up the road from the Biggest Ethnic Superstore in Yorkshire (Manchester Superstore).

Mainly aimed at wholesale for restaurants, they sold huge tins of pickles for bargain prices – they would last for ages, yum yum!

scaredypants

It’s not so great in flapjacks though

who’d have thought ? 😆

(I’m missing a joke, right – brinjal pickle is aubergines, innit ?)

garage-dweller

If you can set your mouth on fire with lime pickle one of three things is true…

1) the lime pickle round here has been watered down. If so I am outraged.

2) you lot need to toughen up a bit / eat more chilli’s

3) my predilection for chilli based stuff has knackered my taste buds and pallette.

My friend’s scotch bonnet puree however – you may have some milk and soft loo roll.

Edit @egf am intrigued by chilli pickle

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

To answer the Q. Yes IMO Patak’s Mixed Pickle is all those things and more. As much as I love lime pickle.

But I still prefer

Better still, all three served in little pots with a boatful of popadums, paratha and raita

singlespeedstu

If you can set your mouth on fire with lime pickle one of two things is true…

It’s not the setting the mouth on fire thing it’s more the salty, cringey lovely ness that counts.
    How can something so so saltyly vile taste so good.

rascal
    Free Member

You’re all mad.
    There’s hardly anything I won’t eat. Lime pickle is pretty much top of that list.
    Evil grimmace-inducing vileness 😈

garage-dweller

How can something so so saltyly vile taste so good.

Now this I totally get.

See also –

Marmite
    Bovril
    Chilli Bovril (sadly last seen in 2007)
    Anchovies

Evil grimmace-inducing vileness

Precisely the op’s point and he is totally right.

singlespeedstu

Evil grimmace-inducing vileness

Agreed.
    But I can’t stop eating it. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

(I’m missing a joke, right – brinjal pickle is aubergines, innit ?)

see posts from murray and a_a

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve never seen that chilli pickle anywhere. Looks a bit like the “Very Lazy” jar of garlic I’ve got in the fridge.

timmys

Lime pickle is also awesome with cheese

colournoise

Lime pickle is awesome.
    That Patak’s Chilli pickle is also awesome.

But ace as both are, they are both JUST shaded by eating piccalilli straight from the jar with a spoon.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See the way Pataks chilli pickle has a ‘3’ chilli hotness, the Geeta’s I had was a 4. (sure it had a green label though)

All I’ve got left are these. 1 full garlic, 1 1/4 full garlic & a smidging of chilli. I need some more chilli & a mixed.

TiRed

Lime pickle flapjacks! Of course, why not? Salty, fiery and sweet. I’m going to make those!

DezB
    Free Member

Well, esselgruntfuttock, your musical taste may be middle of the road, but your extreme pickle devouring can only be admired 😀

Drac

It’s lovey stuff I’ve a recipe that I must make one day.

chvck
    Free Member

It was many years ago that I did and they made 2 of us quite ill for an exam, hope yours go better!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well, esselgruntfuttock, your musical taste may be middle of the road, but your extreme pickle devouring can only be admired

I’d stick to, ‘It’s all a matter of taste’, & at 61, my musical taste is very very varied also.

I **** HATE cucumber though. 😐

Murray

Garlic pickle is great. Mixed pickle is as bad as a crust topped stew calling itself a pie (almost).

jamj1974

YOU ARE ALL DAMN WRONG! HOMEMADE FRUIT CITARE OR MANGO FOR THE WIN.

CAPS TO EMPHASISE HOW MUCH IN ERROR YOU ALL ARE! HOWEVER, ALL PICKLE IS BETTER THAN THE VILE, FILTHY MUCK THAT IS MANGO CHUTNEY.

drewd

Lime pickle is amazing, fact.

The Pataks one is nice in a ‘this can’t be good for me’ way. The was a local independant trader in Preston called the Hungry Dodo who did an awesome lime pickle that tasted really fresh. I think she moved to Luton, if you ever see her at a market try her food, it’s great Mauritian cuisine.

jamj1974

it’s great Mauritian cuisine.

That is the best Asian cuisine IMHO. Biased though, I’m part Mauritian! No ones pickles can compare to my late grandmothers though!

sbob
    Free Member

Lime pickle is the dogs.
    Took me a little while to get used to it though. 😳

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Geetas Lime and chilli chutney (hot) is the Aldi frangipane mince pie of the Indian condiment world. Try with everything, it’s lush

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Lime Pickle.’ is closed to new replies.