Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lightweight shower/windproof, highly breathable jacket with pit zips?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m after a new jacket to replace my boil in a bag low alpine one.

Most important is breathability, I’m not fussed if I get a bit wet.If it is highly breathable and windproof that is good enough for me. Also pit zips are a must.

Do these mythical beasts exist and if so, what would you reccommend?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have a Patagonia wind/shower proof. It is not really all that shower proof to be honest, but it is awesome for biking if you’re not expecting continuous rain. It breathes so well you can *ahem* see that my pits have been sweating 😳 I see no need for pit zips on something that breathable. It is also very soft, flexible and comfortable and extremely quick drying. It’s a few years old now so I’m sure there’s lots of equally good alternatives out there now.

[EDIT] – I used it for a few seasons as my main skiing jacket, wearing it over a thermal base layer and fleece. It was the best performing ski combo I’d used for years. Just a bit too scruffy now for apres ski 🙂

the-muffin-man

I’m a sweaty bugger when riding and I use a Montane FeatherLite and its great – no pit-zips though.

BadlyWiredDog

Most important is breathability, I’m not fussed if I get a bit wet.If it is highly breathable and windproof that is good enough for me. Also pit zips are a must.

You won’t find many non-waterproof breathable jackets with pit-zips. The assumption is that you won’t need them – try rolling your sleeves up, you lose a lot of heat through your fore-arms.

tonyplym
    Free Member

I’ve a Gore windstopper fleece with pit zips which might suit – think its a Gore Tool II – have had it for two or three years and would thoroughly recommend it. Nikwax Polar Proof helps to keep it showerproof. Although you almost certainly can’t get exactly the same jacket now I’d guess that the latest version is probably very similar.

thespecialone
    Free Member

Avoid goretex, Event is good, as is conduit.

kudos100
    Free Member

Ok, so Pitzips are out. What are some good jackets that are not made out of goretex and are highly breathable?

sv

Rock Gardn Dawn Patrol – bought one now hoping it works like a windproofish top!

samuri
    Free Member

montane featherlite here too. Great jacket for light showers. Packs away tiny. Sizing was a bit mental though, I got a large and it’d fit giant haystacks, still, I’ve worn enough to wear it out over 5 or 6 years now. Will be buying another (in medium).

PaulD
    Free Member

Buffalo Pertex-only tops with side zips, not the winter version.
    Not fully waterproof, but wind and drizzle-proof.
    Dries very quickly and weighs little.
    They do a cycling one without hood, or a mountain one with hood.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Altura pocket-rocket. Lightweight and breathable.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a Paramo windproof / showerproof smock which does the job very well.

Trekster

Had the older version of this for about 3yrs.this one

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/velocity-dt-jacket/246

Had many a scrape and has a few holes in it but still a great jacket. Was pretty waterproof when new but needs a wash & reproof now.

dickie
    Free Member

2nd Altura Pocket Rocket.

d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, this Showers Pass Event 2.0 jacket seems like just the ticket. Breathable and has pit-zips. Might try one myself if I can get a different colour!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I know a lot of people rave about eVent, but there is no way it is any where near as breathable as something like Pertex. I have an eVent jacket and it is very breathable for a waterproof but it is not very breathable. If breathability is more important than
    waterproofing, simply avoid anything that markets itself as waterproof.

Moreover, a simple showerproof shell will be a lot cheaper, lighter, easier to pack than a full waterproof.

jameso

best cycling jacket i’ve had so far is the Nike Stormfit jacket, the close fit with pre-bent arm cut is great for riding. fast drying showerproof, windproof, super-breathable and has good venting through back-flaps and side vents. i’ve done many wet rides in this top and it’s brilliant.

basically any close-fitting pertex style top with some kind of venting will be good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight shower/windproof, highly breathable jacket with pit zips?’ is closed to new replies.