Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • lightweight road touring set up?
  • ton

saddlebag, single pannier or racktop bag.

boxelder

I’d say definately rack, probably with single pannier (or two small ones), giving the option for rack top luggage.
    Or, credit card in jersey pocket.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m going to trial a pair of front rollers on the back

cynic-al
    Free Member

if you’ve got a rack then it don’t matter, otherwise saddlebag.

mlke
    Free Member

Saddle bags work very well in my opinion. Good balance for luggage.
    They are not cool though and are best with a brooks type saddle.

druidh
    Free Member

Handlebar bag and a racktop bag works for me. I’ve been thinking of replacing the latter with a decent saddle bag though, then I don’t need the rack.

samuri
    Free Member

Depends on how far.

If you’re stopping over night or for a few days, rack with single pannier.
    All dayer, just a saddle bag.
    Actually I reckon you could easy do an all dayer with just stuff in your pockets. That’s how I ride nowadays.

ampthill

Single pannier if its all you need, works just fine. Never really used a saddle bag….

kilo

Wife and I use these;

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=37

using this;

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/other/sqrclamp

primarily used for commuting but ideal for light touring, come of the bike in a moment and very hard wearing bags

Bez

Saddle bag is popular on the CTC forum but I suspect attaching a suitably large one to many modern saddles may be tricky.

An aluminium rack doesn’t weigh enough to worry about IMO, and you can get racktop bags with side fittings that unzip and collapse out as mini-panniers, which is probably the most versatile option if the racktop bit is big enough.

I’d certainly always have a bar bag for touring, so if you can get away with one of those and a largish saddle bag then that seems the easiest option, though personally I doubt I’d want to tour for more than three or four days with less kit than would require at least one decent-sized rack-mounted bag.

Since when did an all-dayer qualify as touring? That’s just a ride 🙂

Bez

kilo,

The Carradice stuff always looks nice. How does a fully loaded Nelson handle when you’re out of the saddle on steep climbs?

Stoner
    Free Member

bez – Id recommend the SQR mount for the carradice bags because it helps keep it all more taut as well as off the backs of your thighs. Not to mention makes it all quick release.
    I still use mine for commuting.

damitamit
    Free Member

Front roller on the back and a bar bag for 2 day winter tour…

fourbanger
    Free Member

I use a roll bag on top of a rack and a bar bag for valuables and mapping. I prefer the roll bag as it’s a bit more aero, which you’ll notice going into a headwind for a day!

Bez

Yeah, the SQR looks nice, hadn’t seen that before. Looks a winning setup for 3-4 day trips if not longer.

Stoner
    Free Member

Looks a winning setup for 3-4 day trips if not longer.

was a great setup for 2.5 months/5,000km 😉

Bez

Heh – I find every time I pack I pack a bit less, I need to do more trips 🙂

How is the out-of-the-saddle thing, then? Can’t imagine you were sitting down on the hills with loaded singlespeeds 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

out of saddle is fine as long as you’re not flopping the bike around like a BMX grommet. 49×21=63 gear inches so anything less than 10% was doable and after the first 500 miles to get leg strength up, hills were’nt threatening anymore!

kilo

“kilo,

The Carradice stuff always looks nice. How does a fully loaded Nelson handle when you’re out of the saddle on steep climbs? “

As mentioned with the sqr fitting it doesn’t seem to have any adverse handling effect the fitting holds it rigid.

13thfloormonk

If I’m doing more than one day on the racer I’ll use a 2.7l Ortlieb saddle bag, fits my specialized Romin saddle fine and is about as Aero as you can get, isn’t even very visible when you’re sat down. If I wanted to go a bit further I reckon I’d stick a handlebar bag on, and use my back pockets.

If I started using panniers etc it would kind of negate the point of using a nice racing bike so I’d just take the cross bike instead, but then I have the luxury of choice in that respect.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m tempted to try credit card touring with a top tube bag (aka Tri bag?) and saddle bag on the racer.

Whilst probably capable of service intervals that would put VAG group cars to shame the tourer just isn’t as fun to ride.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘lightweight road touring set up?’ is closed to new replies.