Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lightweight (and ideally cheap) touring trailer
  • cookeaa

I’ve been eyeing up single wheeled trailers for a mini tour a friend and I are planning for Early September, it will be on the road, on road bikes (rather than proper tourers) and I quite like the idea of us each alternately taking turns to tow our kit rather than loading up both of the bikes with lots of separate panniers, beam racks or frame bags… the trouble is that most decent lightweight trailers seem to cost a fair old chunk, and this is just for the one trip (we may do more depending how this one pans out), at present neither of us have any panniers or luggage so a trailer could solve all our needs in one go…

I’ve spotted this effort on fleabay, quite obviously a BOB Yak knock off but would it be reliable enough… if I’ve read the description right the trailer itself weighs 8kg (about the same as towing another road bike), I doubt we’d load it up to its full 35kg capacity, but even if we only add 10kg of luggage, we end up lugging 18, there must be a lighter option…

The other option I’m half toying with is trying to make one myself (I do like a little project) perhaps using some aluminium structural extrusions and composite, has anyone made a decent, light trailer at home?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Extrawheel is probably the lightest- not the cheapest. But you could probably knock up a copy using a spare wheel easily…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd hand bob from ebay and sell it again afterwards, it’d only lose the fee’s then?

Any trailer is going to be heavy though. Are you really that adverse to panniers?

cookeaa

Are you really that adverse to panniers?

Not necessarily, but the bikes we’ll be using won’t get on well with luggage mine has rear rack eyes only, my mate has none, we could use p-clips or just try Beam racks/bar/frame bags but TBH a Trailer just seems like a good solution to me, takes the extra load off the bikes themselves, saving the tyres a bit? and all our crap can go in one place rather than each of us lugging panniers or other assorted bags, by the time we’ve bough the various bags and racks a trailer (including a waterproof bag) probably works out about the same cost. plus we tend to wok well together on the road so one of us can lead while the other tows, then we swap the following day…

What does a proper BOB weigh? I’m getting a bit hung up on towed weight but it is a factor…

I did look at the extra wheel voyager and sort of like the idea, and it wouldn’t be too hard to copy, apparently it’ll take up to 35kg and weighs only about 4kg, which is an improvement… plus a 700c wheel should roll better and will take the same spare tubes…. Hmmm used they seem to be ~£100+ new its £200+, seems a bit steep, I’m quite tempted to fashion my own…

benp1

How much are you planning to take? Are you camping or staying in accomodation?

Could you do handlebar bag/harness and then a seat pack?

cookeaa

Assumption at the minute is that we’ll be camping a few nights. I can see us wussing out and B&Bing it if the forecast isn’t nice, if that’s the case then luggage shrinks massively and beam racks would probably be fine…

But for now its tent, sleeping bags, cooking kit, clothing, etc, etc… for two.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight (and ideally cheap) touring trailer’ is closed to new replies.