Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lightest saddle that's still comfy enough?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m looking to save some weight and the saddle’s going to get it. I only ride for max. three hours so I don’t need all-day comfort. What’s the best perch to suit this compromise?

stooo
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of new saddle choice too – though my criteria includes a saddle that can support a long day ride.

you’re likely ending up with a perch that weights between 200g and 260g. Two of the biggest contributors to weight in a saddle are the padding, and the rails. Padding is actually not that big a contributor to comfort, as shape and good chamois in your shorts has much more to do with it. Shape wise, many manufacturers now give you options for a shape that suits your flexibility and riding style – like Fizik, SDG, Specialized and Fabric. Switching to Ti rails, from CroMo will drop 20g ish, switching to carbon will drop a lot more. However, I still have concerns over how much punishment carbon rails can offer. Ti rails will likely bend in a crash or bad landing, where carbon may snap.

I’m a bit off Specialized these days, after the Cafe Roubaix debacle, last year, but they do make fantastic contact points. The Venge, would probably suit your requirements, or the Phenom, if you’ve more a racey style.

Fizik offer the Aliante for more relaxed, upright, riding and the aliante and then the Tundra getting more racey, with a flatter profile.

The SDG Bell Air 2.0 looks like a good comfy option, with the duster offering a little more trimming down and more suitable for speed and power delivery.

Fabric look like a great option. Everyone raves about the the Charge Spoon and Scoop, and now you’ve more customisable choices from Frabric. The Scoop, with ti rails, is a fantastically comfy saddle with 3 shape options: Flat, for low race positions, Radius, for upright comfort and Shallow, somewhere in between. For comparison, the Charge Spoon is a Radius shape.

Hope that helps.

oliverracing

I have one of these pictured, it’s a Chinese generic carbon saddle, weighs in at 97g and good for rides up to about 4 hours for me (done a 100km/5 1/2 hour and that was a little too much) you have to wear padded shorts with it but I was amazed just how comfy it is! (for me some mates like it some hate it)

edit:it also cost me £17!!!

njee20
    Free Member

you’re likely ending up with a perch that weights between 200g and 260g

Why? Plenty of lighter options.

I’ve been on a Bontrager Evoke RXL for the last few years. It’s lasted very well – far better than the Spesh Phenoms I used to use, and it weighs 154g (IIRC).

Plenty of lighter options out there – SLR or Toupes are both nice, but neither last that long. The cover wears out on SLRs and the shell cracks of Toupes off road. Tune Speedneedle?

Very tempted by one of those cheap Chinese carbon jobbies!

lee170
    Free Member

I have an selle Italia slr saddle and it’s awesome, albeit it took about 6 months of riding everyday to get comfy, but now it’s amazing, also stupidly light

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ergon?

munrobiker
    Free Member

SLR Fan here- they don’t last exceptionally long but are very good. I have tried Bontragers and they don’t suit me- however I think they still do a comfort guarantee where if you don’t like it you can return it within a certain length of time, which may be worth a go.

njee20
    Free Member

albeit it took about 6 months of riding everyday to get comfy

Just in time for the cover to wear through 😉

tang
    Free Member

Been riding a new Astute skyline taca, 190g ti rails and very comfy. They do lighter full carbon shell/rail ones. Nice company, all the axed selle italia workers got together and formed their own company, still made in Italy.

Rik
    Free Member

I have a blue SLR 135g for sale cheap if that’s of any use?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a selle italia c64. Weighs 76g, I’ve done a 130 mile ride on it with no comfort issues. But I like flite shaped saddles

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have a wee & dump before you ride, you’re not going top save that much weigh and surely if you’re riding you want to be comfy?
    There are better places to save weight IMHO.

kerley
    Free Member

I use a stripped SLR for up to 3 hours use (on a rigid bike) and find it very comfortable.
    The padding and covering don’t offer much so once worn just strip it off and no more problems (plus a slight reduction in weight)

honourablegeorge
    Rorschach
    Free Member

CRC have I-beam saddle/seat post combos at half price.My I-fly is pretty comfy and light for a fully padded saddle (and wont fall to bits).

DanW
    Free Member

Tune Speedneedle

Comfiest I’ve used so far. Saddles are all about shape for me and I just couldn’t get on with the shape of the wings or nose from other brands like Selle Italia or Spesh. I can’t see a need to change any time soon but Bontrager would be my next port of call, even more so with the 30 day Guarantee. I have a spare Tune Speedneedle having cut down the number of bikes, if anyone wants to give it a go 😀 Also have a Salle Italia CX Zero but you’d need a braver behind than I have!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whatever fits!

Saddle comfort is as subjective/personal as helmets.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lightest saddle that's still comfy enough?’ is closed to new replies.