Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Lightest flat pedals?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've got some Truvativ Holzfeller pedals at the mo which are ok but heavy (580g) and not great in the wet.

The bike's starting to get a bit fat so thought about perhaps trying lighter pedals. So I'd like better grip, lighter but still strong, and perhaps not too pricey if possible 🙂 Also I notice some pedals are getting shallower, so your foot is closer to the axle – what;s the benefit of this?

The superstar ones look quite nice, with a ti axle you could get the CNC to 275g which is under half my current ones. Any other reccomendations? ta

GW
    Free Member

I'd recomend you look for a more sensible place to save weight, maybe throw away your insoles and laces?

FWIW I bent my superstar nano pedal axle 10 mins into their first (XC) ride.

not a superstar hater BTW.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well I already DH in sandals so that's not an option.

Not a good report though. Was that Ti?

GW
    Free Member

No Ti breaks, I won't touch the stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

I'd recomend you look for a more sensible place to save weight

I've gotta agree with GW here.

I'm not a weight weenie per se, but I don't see the point in running anything excessively heavy where I can get away with a lighter part (I'm only about 12 stone, and don't ride too heavily), but lightweight/flimsy flat pedals is a recipe for disaster!

I've got Easton Flatboy pedals on my long travel bike, and whilst they're a fair weight, they're indestructible and very very grippy. They've been smacked into countless rocks, they'd bend crank arms before a pedal axle of that I'm sure!

A Mate has some Wellgo Mg1's which are a fair bit lighter though, he is fairly heavy on kit and hasn't bent/bust them yet, that said his bike has a BB height about an inch or more higher than mine so he strikes his pedals a fair bit less!

Lionheart
    Free Member

We run a couple of pairs of the NC17 Mags, pretty light and have worked a treat for last two years on DH bikes.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've been using a pair of Wellgo MG-1s for over a year now and they've been great. I've lost a couple of pins but they still grip well and they are very light. Bearings still seem ok too, not perfect but fine. I'll be buying more when these need to be replaced

br
    Free Member

I've had a pair of DMR V12 mags with Ti axles for a couple of years now; while I'm not a 'jumper', they've managed a few uplifts and a week in the Alps.

About 300g the pair, will re-post later with the actual weight.

Best part of £100 though…

allyharp

+1 for Wellgo MG1s.

They're under 500g so light enough and mine have stood up well to all sorts of battering off rocks.

Can also be had for around 30 quid too

petetheplumber
    Free Member

NC-17 light and strong

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Nice one, both of those are around 380 grams so just what I'm looking for.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Ti + Mg sounds wonderful but bit out of my range! I do love these though:

And at the the other end of the spectrum…830g and a look only a mother could love

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

These have three LED lights in each pedal:

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1 are about 370grm (not just "under 500"…) and can be had with a Ti axle, weighing 300grms (the pedals, not the axles…), for about 55 quid from various far-eastern ebay traders.

Wellgo make DMR pedals (amongst others), so youre effectively getting a DMRV12 Mag/Ti for half price. I was neither charged import tax nor handling charges when I got mine recently.

These currently adorn my Nomad-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wellgo-MG1-MG-1-Magnesium-Pedal-Ti-9-16-Axle-Black_W0QQitemZ150373639921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item2302f7a6f1

jonb
    Free Member

+1 for wellgo mags. If you ebay them you can find the ones with Ti axles for about £50 from Hong kong, otherwise merlin was cheap for the normal axel ones when I got mine.

Northwind

The MG-1s are very nice, I've not managed to damage mine despite being a clumsy fool, they've had some pretty big hits. Light, grippy, cheap, and tough enough. Not sure about the titanium ones though, not sure I'd trust them, though I've never seen a broken one.

MrNutt
    Free Member

wellgo mags from high on bikes, ebay. recommended!

heihei

Got the Nukeproof Neutron Mag/Ti pedals – yes expensive but light, low profile and good amounts of grip. I've run them on my Intense Slopestyle for 5' drops with no probs so far.

brakes
    Free Member

flypapers?

brakes
    Free Member

canfield crampons?

brakes
    Free Member

very nice and a bit more sensible – nukeproog mag-tis

but v. pricey

chakaping
    Free Member

Wellgo Mags are what you're after, but don't expect them last as well as V8s (for example).

They lose pins quite easily (but they're easy to replace) and I managed to kill one after about 18 months.

knott4me
    Free Member

the nuke proof are the same as superstar pedals.
    don,t buy any pedal that has du-bushes over std bearings alone.

mboy
    Free Member

Those Canfield Brothers pedals look interesting, but I wonder how they'd stand up to a couple of rock hits…

Those Flypapers look ridiculous, I reckon I could bend them out of shape just by using all my weight to pedal hard, and I'm only 12 stone!

Not heard great things about the Superstar/Nukeproof pedals myself either, which is a shame as they look quite good and are fairly light!

grumm
    Free Member

FWIW I bent my superstar nano pedal axle 10 mins into their first (XC) ride.

My Superstar Nano Tech Flats survived the Megavalanche and have been fine since, despite often twatting them on rocks with my low BB and clumsy 16st riding.

dogmatix

got a pair of tiogas i wanna sell 460gms if that is light enough.. selling because they are just too grippy with my 5.10's… not got around to selling them… still got spare set of pins?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

+1 wellgo mags, light and very grippy

GW
    Free Member

grumm – have you checked the axles aren't bent? (a lot of folk don't even notice a slightly bent axle).

ianpinder
    Free Member

how about twenty6 pedals, pricey but light, with the ti axles even lighter!

grumm
    Free Member

grumm – have you checked the axles aren't bent? (a lot of folk don't even notice a slightly bent axle).

No can't say I have actually – will have a look.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Ti axles only for XC and only if you weigh less than 85kg. If you DH or go jumping or weigh more than 85kg then stay well away from Ti axles you will bend them and it will cost you lot of money.

I assume you DH or do something relatively extreme given that you have Holzfeller pedals on. For get Ti and buy a good quality Mag pedal you should save 100-150grams and they'll cost you £50-80. Blackspire, NC-17, nukeproof. However if you are a light lad that XC's then go with Ti you'll be fine but skint.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my wellgo mags cost £35.95 from Chevin cycles a year ago.

duntmatter
    Free Member

+1 for Wellgo MG1s.

I got some used ones for £6!

deus

the bushings in my straitlines are still going strong after 18 months.

plus it means they can stick a bigger axle in so less likely to bend.

think the flypapers are cool, are they steel?

and those "brave machines" a re a blatant BMW shinburger copy/

NormalMan

Another nod for Mg1's here.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Lightest flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.