Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Light wheels – what's worth looking at?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Been riding an old set of Mavic 317 disc rims on Hope XC hubs. I have some more recent wheels built up on pro 2 hubs, but the rear hub is in need of a rebuilt.

What lightweight, reasonable quality / cost wheelsets are worth looking at?

These have caught my eye:

Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC3

Any good?

Anything that jumps out as better? / better value?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a new rear wheel, but the 6 bolt disc version of the wheels you are looking at – Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC6. Means I can use any rotor for only a very slight weight disadvantage.

They get reasonable reviews from the XC crowd. Mine will be used on the XC race bike now that I’m building up a play bike.

There is a weight recommendation of <85kg from the Pro3 Hoops. If you are close to that or doing anything a bit rougher on a regular basis, or not using them for XC racing then you might be better off with the extra spokes with the Pro 2 Evo wheels.

rewski
    Free Member

There’s an ad there for 30% off easton wheels at CRC.

RustyMac

Can you build wheels?

Merlin have stans ZTR 355 or ZTR Olympic rims for £80/pair.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/sale-wheels/stans-ztr-355-rims-pair.html

rkk01
    Free Member

Can you build wheels?

Never tried!

I suspect that time would be an issue…

ETA

There is a weight recommendation of <85kg from the Pro3 Hoops

Yes, noticed that. I’m a little over 85kgs, but have never (yet) trashed a lightweight wheelset

DanW
    Free Member

Take a look at justridingalong or Clee Cycles.

Spokes and nipples count for a lot of weight and can cheaply be upgraded for example. The Hope wheels you mention above also have a low number of spokes (24) which I wouldn’t be completely happy with. I’d much rather have a well built wheel with 32 lighter spokes and Alu nipples for minimal (if any) extra cost, greater durability and lighter weight.

Plus factory built wheels never offer the same value as handbuilts (despite the Hope Hoops above having all parts that are available aftermarket).

What is your budget? What riding do you do? What is “light”?

Based on the wheels you already have I would suggest:
    Stans Alpine rims
    DT Supercomp spokes (heavier but sturdier) or DT Revolution (lighter but potentially harder to hold tension
    Alu Nipples
    Stans ZTR hubs (light, perhaps unknown durability) or Hope Pro II hubs (heavy, UK for parts, mine haven’t been reliable)

Stans Alpine, No Tubes Hubs, Revolution spokes are 1372g for £360 on JRA.

Stans Crest, No Tubes Hubs, Butted spokes are 1420g for £385.

Just 2 examples but getting in touch with JRA or Clee will be able to find the right wheel for you. As I said, I would much prefer to go down this route for value rather than buy factory wheels.

Hope this helps, DanW

PaulD
    Free Member

I have the SPIII with XC3 160mm rotors on Stans 355s and they are excellent.

Only using for XC, currently with Fast Freds, but very fast and a delight.

PaulD

njee20
    Free Member

DT 240s on ZTR Alpines/Crests with Revolutions and alu nips are €510 on ActionSports.de, good value.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not quite sure what DanW was hinting at when saying factory wheels aren’t good value, if you add up the cost of hubs, rims and spokes the components for the Hoops would be more than the wheel cost before you factor in building.

I’m 83kg and I’d steer away from the 24h versions having had them and get 32h variants instead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

AVOID alloy nipples unless you don’t get them wet.

DanW
    Free Member

Balzin, you are quite right with the Hope Hoops but they are something of an exception to most factory built wheels with regards to value. Nevertheless changing a few things like spokes and nipples on a handbuilt pair (even the Hope Hoops) still saves a lot of weight for not much extra cash, hence improves value.

If I was looking for new wheels I’d be very tempted by Njee’s suggestion!

A much cheaper suggestion is the absolute lightest weight isn’t important to you would be the Pro-Lite Allein wheelset. This is another exception to the factory built is bad value rule… I got mine for about £150 on Ribble (£189 on CRC at the moment) and they have been very reliable and durable and, amazingly for the price, only 1600g. I contacted Pro-Lite about converting to 15mm front hub and they offered to sort it all for me despite these not yet being available on their complete wheel builds- amazing customer service.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Light wheels – what's worth looking at?’ is closed to new replies.