Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Light weight help please
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

What's currently the lightest weight XC race 31.6mm seatpost and saddle combination please?

njee20
    Free Member

For how much money?

Lightest, vaguely sensible, would be a New Ultimate Carbon post with your choice of lightweight saddle, SLR, Toupe etc. Seatpost's around £165 from me, saddle's around £80. 120g for the post, 135g for an SLR.

No budget, custom made one piece AX-Lightness job, €600 or so, but can be mentally light.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Money no problem (don't tell the wife) but maybe not 600 euros

righty
    Free Member

kcnc/2nd hand slr is the the cheapest without spending silly money

JohnClimber
    Free Member

What about SDG I-Beam I-Fly Saddle and SDG Carbon Fibre Micro Seatpost?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4742

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28312

Can you get much lighter than that?

njee20
    Free Member

I-Beam's crap, they all break, and yes, the combination I gave you is lighter, whilst still giving you the ability to swap saddles etc to your heart's content.

The new Toupe Carbon SL at 112g would give you a 230g combination with a New Ultimate post.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Is there any UK suppliers of "New Ultimate" seat posts, as I can't see any

Coleman
    Free Member

Probably only available from njee as he always seems to be recommending them. Mind you that is seriously light. – Oh and you'll need a stem to match. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I am the UK supplier 😀

I can also do stem's to match! 99g in 100mm with ti hardware, black or white.

I think I'm reasonably passive in my bigging them up actually! I only import them as I wanted one for myself, and they were really keen to get them into the UK! I do happen to have a 31.6x350mm carbon post in stock though.

Pierre

Don't go for a toupee – they aren't strong enough. I've seen so many broken toupees, they're pretty much the same as an SLR.

I have SLR XC gel flows on my three favourite bikes and they've lasted ages under all sorts of abuse. That, for me, is more important than a couple fewer grams…

: P

njee20
    Free Member

SLRs are much tougher than Toupes, agree Toupes snap a lot.

The Phenom is worth the weight penalty over either IMO, also does away with the nasty plastic bits on the back of the Toupe that snag your shorts periodically.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

njee20 please drop me an email with details and the carbon one you have to
    johnmoore200 @ aol.com (without the spaces)

Ta

br
    Free Member

I've run I-Beams for a few years now (I-Fly seat and carbon post at about 370grams), never a problem 'cept a sore arse…

You also see them on DH bikes, but they just need them to stop their balls hitting the frame.

They are cheap and often on ebay due to their marmite 'appeal'.

njee20
    Free Member

YGM John.

It's a shame I-beam isn't more popular, as the weights are impressive, but I've certainly seen a lot of them fail, as you say their popularity in DH isn't that surprising considering they're not doing much!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Light weight help please’ is closed to new replies.