Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Light set ups, interested to see what everyone else does..
  • derekrides
    Free Member

After hurriedly bunging mine on only to have it swing into my eyes the first jump I took, I thought I’d spend this avo trying a new set up, so assembled my mottely collection and bunged them all on, can’t afford a new set this year, but anyway, what dy’all think..

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what am i commenting on?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I use an L+M Seca 900 on my bars and an Urban 300 on my helmet when required

allthepies
    Free Member

Helmet mount is the way to go with additional on the bars if required IMO. Being able to illuminate where you want to go rather than where the bars happen to be pointing helps massively (especially in twisty stuff).

GW
    Free Member

accessorytastic batman 😉

tazzymtb

i think you have too many lights it’s the bike version of this

ton

trout liberator here.
    better than 99.9% of all other lights………… 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

Er do have helmet lights

Love what you’d done with your jeep there tazzy

Can you have too much light?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There’s a bloke round here he’s bunged childrens’ toy lightsabres on his bike, on the frame and in the spokes. It’s certainly noticeable. 😯

I’m thinking of some Christmas tree lights on my bike this winter. Some dozy bastard will still bloody claim they din’t see me though I expect. 🙄

GW
    Free Member

better than 99.9% of all other lights…………

but still **** useless on your bars

rOcKeTdOg

there’s some old inner tube wrapped around your fork crown

derekrides
    Free Member

Toy light sabres?

Cool Idea, I’ve been looking for down lighters, did find a site in the states but they’re not currently shipping.

derekrides
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    there’s some old inner tube wrapped around your fork crown

Yep and my chain stay, cool aren’t they – do you like the eyes?

angryratio
    Free Member

poor person spec..

Magicshine 1600 lumen job with a knog copy as a backup/blinker.

allthepies
    Free Member

I hadn’t noticed the mini lights attached to the fork legs – WTF! 😆

tazzymtb

derek with that many lights I can only conclude that you are afraid of black

z1ppy

Smudge XML on the bars, trout mini on my head, loads if light! Should swap them round but the mini had a lower profile for the helmet.
    GW I disagree, if you’ve only a single (powerful) light I prefer it on the bars, as helmet lights flatten out the trail too much IME. had to lend the XML to a m8 last wed night, as his hope battery died mid ride (I’d forgotten to pack a backup) at the top of my favourite bit of downhill, the change was very noticeable & disconcerting. All in IMHO of course.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Hmm I notice that there are no battery pictures in that setup… or is that what the van’s for?

All joking aside I think you would be better putting one of the lights on your helmet…

Stevo210
    Free Member

can’t afford a new set this year

Are they really that bad?

GW
    Free Member

disagree all you want zippy but the fact is you can’t see where you are going properly on any turns.
    helmet lights don’t flatten out trails, they simply cast a different shadow than bar mounted lights and if you find that a problem you are prob not moving around your bike enough. simply moving your head slightly allows you to judge distance just as well as with bar mounted lights.
    the only time bar mounts are any better is in snow/fog/drizzle when the light can be reflected straight back at you.

derekrides
    Free Member

Pictures?

Pictures or it didn’t happen is the rule of most fora (that’s plural for forums for those slow single speed types amongst you)..

You must have some piccy’s and the light throw, putting those old mini newts on the fork legs gives me a bit more ground shape, they were old, first decent lights I ever had, better to use them than lose em..

Coleman
    Free Member

Twin cans are deffo the way to go.

Plus light sabre bar grips of course, just to be on the safe side!

z1ppy

I understand it’s all due to shadows, or lack of. I see it that the bar mounted light will give better definition to the shadow of say a drop, as you can see the shadow from your higher view point, where-as the helmet lights higher position will light that up regardless ad it higher than your eyes. All very subjective though, & your welcome to tell me I’m wrong but that just my experience of riding with both setups. I’ll stick to using both, as bar mounted lights do have drawbacks too

derekrides
    Free Member

Kbrembo – Member
    Hmm I notice that there are no battery pictures in that setup… or is that what the van’s for?

All joking aside I think you would be better putting one of the lights on your helmet…

I have two helmet lights an old and a newer joystick…

Stevo210 – Member
    can’t afford a new set this year

Are they really that bad?

No, I just have this compulsion to buy a new light each year, been waiting for that dude who posted about the 100 quid 2000 lumen special to announce its availability, that’ll spring the wallet..

derekrides
    Free Member

Coleman – coowoooll, twin Maxd’s I’m gagging for that set up..

ER what’s that pink thing sticking out front?

And er didn’t think we stuck those bar ends on these days…

GW
    Free Member

I see it that the bar mounted light will give better definition to the shadow of say a drop

😆 You’re having a laugh! do you ever do any decent sized jumps/drops on your night rides?
    when you jump/drop you should spot your landing, easily done by simply looking at it with a head mount but you can’ possibly do that with a bar mount.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

the only time bar mounts are any better is in snow/fog/drizzle

Just about every night in Scotland then.

GW
    Free Member

you need to move over the other side of the east Lothian border

DickBarton

Single light on bars. Helmet light is useless in fog, snow, mist and rain…the droplets reflect the light and it becomes a blind!

Bar mount all the way. I was running around with a homemade job until 2 years ago when I landed a l&m Seca Race. Very bright but uses an intelligent beam pattern so lights up front of wheel as well as projecting down the trail. Really is no need for a helmet light when the light pattern is so usable.

Of course it is all personal choice but the bar-only is the only workable solution in my book.

Saying that I have tried several helmet-mount lights…they do work but the drawbacks outweigh the positives for me…I don’t jump so don’t have any issues with that. Helmet lights last year were making me think otherwise until I went back to the Seca…the beam pattern instantly removed the need for the helmet light…

Coleman
    Free Member

Derekrides – Ha Ha! Pink thing is a red SKS shockblade mudguard. Red mudguards catch more crud than black ones!
    Bar ends, flat bars, arse in the air, xc hardtail -‘ old skool’ set up for an even older rider. 🙁

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Strange weather and even stranger folks over the border line 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

Coleman – Member
    Derekrides – Ha Ha! Pink thing is a red SKS shockblade mudguard. Red mudguards catch more crud than black ones!
    Bar ends, flat bars, arse in the air, xc hardtail -‘ old skool’ set up for an even older rider.

We’re probably all older than we sometimes appear on here..

shortcut

Currently running with this lot. Usually on the bike rather than the table.

Helmet light sits well downout of the way of branches and kicks out plenty of light. The bar light hits the mark very well too. I have now moved out of the shadows!

Bazz

If i was riding with you mate i don’t think i’d even bother turning mine on, i’d just stay behind you!

But usely a Hope vision 2 on the bars and an ebay cheapy thing on the helmet.

derekrides
    Free Member

Put my helmet lights on either side, don’t like em up top they light up the peak and the glare reflects in the specs .

Never ride behind me, if anyone’s gonna screw up a line, it’ll be me..

pitcherpro
    Free Member

derekrides
    Free Member

Epic!

Got to have some of that.

Under the chain stays.

I will leave no shadow wherever I ride..

robhughes
    Free Member

Liberator on the bars.
    Baby trout on me bonce.
    nuff said 😀

pedlad

Of course it is all personal choice but the bar-only is the only workable solution in my book.

Can’t really agree with this especially on a twisty trail. Been doing the verderers at fod quite a bit recently and the 180 degree berms there convinced me that my weak helmet light (compared to liberator on bars) needed upgrading. Having just bar lights means youre totally blind trying to look out of the berm whilst your bikes still pointing into it
    Webt back last week and the eBay “1200lumen” torch is now the perfect set up for this.

takisawa2

DX lights for me. 1200 lumen on the helmet & 800 lumen on the bars. On the road I use another 800 lumen flashing with a bodged red lens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Light set ups, interested to see what everyone else does..’ is closed to new replies.