Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • kimbers

neil853 if you mean the trex, yes

if you mean the 40t ratchet version of the freehub no

(unless you can unbond and then unscrew the steel ratchet bit from aluminium hub body in some way)

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I have had some wider rims in 650b for 6 months know.

They have been fine. I would like some 29 inch ones but oem wheels are reducing in price all the time.

I have not been gentle on them up lifts and all sorts

cchris2lou

ordered a frameset and carbon wheels and they were sent on monday . the tracking is saying they arrived in the Uk thursday and they were handed to customs for clearance .
    today they were released by customs .

does that mean I dont have to pay customs ?

davosaurusrex

Same tracking messages I got and I haven’t heard anything else so you might be in luck

cchris2lou

excellent .

I have to say that EMS are very efficient . frameset and built wheels dropped to their depot in China on monday . arrived in the uk on thursday .
    cant even send a parcel that quick in this country .

davosaurusrex

I was fair gobsmacked when mine turned up today.

cchris2lou

mind you , they are with PF now , so could take another week to get here . 😆

the wheels are tubular , can I use Jantex or best to use glue ? have used Jantex before on alu rims but never on carbon .

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Anyone bought a full build wheelset and happy about it?

Nancy suggest a 33mm wide rim hookless.. For my trail riding.

Should i press the “buy it ” button now?

neil853
    Free Member

Says mine are at customs and have been since the 15th…..

Yetiman
    Free Member

You might still have to pay customs charges. I’ve had a couple of packages arrive from the US recently that were delivered straight to my door, but about 2 weeks later I received a customs charge invoice from TNT.

nickkent
    Free Member

Oops…

Fingers crossed they will honour the warranty!

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Built up some wheels using Light Bicycle’s hookless rims recently. Nice and easy to put together. They came out pretty light using Carbon Ti SL Hubs and DT Revs, 1324g for the pair. ERD measurements for the 27mm width 29er rims were 598.5mm if I remember correctly.

Took a bit of a gamble on the hubs as I couldn’t find many real world reviews on the internet. That said, they are beautifully made and so far have been excellent, only time will tell I suppose. Wheels are noticeably more rigid than the Crests builds I previously used on the same bike.

(Please excuse the spokes looking all over the shop in the first picture, this was taken immediately after lacing with no tensioning)

tonyg2003

Just got mine. Hookless and built by LB. They look good and are amazingly light :)Time to buy some Stan’s tape and get then tubeless.

kimbers

Nick kent what happened ?

_daveR
    Free Member

Ordered mine today too, 35mm, 32h, 29ers in matte 3k.

They will be going onto new Pro2s with Revs and bronze nipples.

davosaurusrex

Also @ nickkent – which rims are those and +1 for what happened?

DT78
    Free Member

That looks like you smacked it hard on something, doesn’t look like a manufacturing / warranty failure to me I’m afraid? How did it happen?

aracer
    Free Member

Where did you order those? I’ve just had a look and can’t find 35mm 29ers.

Though following nickkent’s post I’m feeling a little less enthusiastic than I was!

Yetiman
    Free Member

They might still warranty it. A friend of mine managed to get a warranty replacement with similar damage sustained during the Trans Savoie last year.

Pic here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstar-components-am-carbon-rims

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Well, had my first ride on mine.
    Really, really stiff. Felt nice, and sounded like a monster truck.
    The tyre tread footprint was noticeably bigger as well.

_daveR
    Free Member

aracer, just use the live chat on the site to request a quote from them. With today’s exchange rate on PayPal they came in at £258 posted.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Mine are in the UK..Stuck in Customs

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ditto, made it from China in 3 days then been stuck in Coventry for 3 more!!

aracer
    Free Member

That’s for 2? I’m only after 1 😉

bigjim

Fingers crossed they will honour the warranty!

Hmm dunno about that, that looks like you’ve hit a rock or something.

nickkent
    Free Member

Mine were the 26 inch wide enduro rims (not hookless) and yes I messed up a bit and slammed the rim in to a granite edge. I think an aluminium rim would have dented with the same impact but you can bend ali back.

I have only ridden them a hand full of times so I’m a bit gutted.

aracer
    Free Member

You can, but I imagine something like a Flow would still be an effective write-off.

_daveR
    Free Member

Has anyone laced the 35mm rim to pro2s? I’m curious to know what spoke length you used.

_daveR
    Free Member

Another Q!

What rim strips are people using on the 35mm rims? I want to run mine tubeless.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not really knowing too much about carbon rims would any of these be suitable for a do it all road / cx/ light xc?
    To take 28c road tyre, 35c cx tyre and occasionally something bigger?

bigjim

Mine are also coming up as 521 ERD using the cut spoke method, so perhaps best to measure before ordering spokes, if 3mm makes much difference to spoke length.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yay! – my 29er hookless rims are now built and ready for collection. They’ve been set up tubeless, with Stans tape and standard length tubeless valves, and apparently my 2.4” Conti Mountain King Protections went up a treat. Unfortunately I forgot to ask them to weigh the wheels first, so I don’t know how close I was with my estimated 1630-1650g, but I’m not overly fussed so just I’ll weigh them next time I swap tyres over. A big shout must go to Christian and Joe at Bike Remedy, in Stonehaven, for building the wheels in time for our trip to GT & Inners this weekend.

neil853
    Free Member

My 29er 35mm ones are at home now. Still trying to decide on hubs…… Hope or DT240s

Gee76
    Free Member

DT 240 🙂

FYI my 29er 35mm wide seem to come in at about a 593 ERD so a bit over. Spoke fit seemed fine though (as per DT Calcualtor)!.

njee20
    Free Member

240 FTW.

jimification
    Free Member

Yup – 240! Lighter, brilliantly simple freehub design that’s dead easy to service and the bearings wear very well. As per another thread on here, Hope Pro II bearings just don’t seem to last.

Only downside I can see is you need a special tool to get at the inner bearings on the 240.

justatheory
    Free Member

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy 240s at the moment? Or is it the usual suspects: CRC, Merlin, German shops etc?

goodgrief
    Free Member

I got a 350 from Koo cycles for £140

sam_underhill

What rim strips are people using on the 35mm rims?

I’m planning on using Gorilla tape. See enve video here:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU1q1omGyP8[/video]

Just need my I9 hubs to arrive and I’ll finally be able to get my wheels built (by friendly LBS) and ride my new bike!

Northwind

Mine are here! Woo! Just got to decide on spokes now.

neil853 – Member

My 29er 35mm ones are at home now. Still trying to decide on hubs…… Hope or DT240s

They do the exact same job, the DTs are just better at everything, so it’s just about budget vs quality. (the central bearing on the DTs is a slight pain, but is offset by the fact that it lasts for years because of the quality sealing)

I can’t afford 240s, but I could afford a pair of used wheels with 240s in, so that’s what I’m doing- break ’em down, new bearings all round and they’ll be as good as new, for a fraction of the price.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.