Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • gee
    Free Member

They warrantied mine after the bead hook came off – took a couple of weeks to sort out and then another couple of weeks for the replacement to arrive. That looks like it’s had a belt on a pointy rock though so not sure you’ll have much luck… That’s the thing with carbon rims – what would have dented a metal rim trashes a carbon one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Acid – hooked or hookless?

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

well i’ve just bought two of the remaining three 38mm hookless rims on ebay, so only one left until LB can list more next month. Total cost inc shipping £282 n change, so praying i dodge import duty etc otherwise it’ll be more like £150 per rim!

MSP

When I ordered mine, I expected to pay the import duty, and still considered it a bloody good price for what I am getting. When they were dispatched, LB sent an email saying they had put 150 usd as the value. But German customs aren’t that stupid and you have to email a receipt to them.

otherwise it’ll be more like £150 per rim!

Should be closer to £175 per rim

dirtyrider
    Free Member

LB sent an email saying they had put 150 usd as the value.

just had the same regarding 45mm u-shaped road rims

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Should be closer to £175 per rim

£70 in duty and charges? I hope not 🙂

EDIT- German customs? are you living there?

benpinnick

£70 in duty and charges? I hope not

When you add on the customs handling fee from Parcelforce it will be more like £85 in fees I am afraid!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

When you add on the customs handling fee from Parcelforce it will be more like £85 in fees I am afraid!

I could have got them shipped to jersey and got a flight there to pick them up 🙂

i’ll be riding like a ballerina on these, they had better will last forever!

MSP

Import duty added the total price and shipping, then vat added onto the new total. Plus handling fees. I would expect it to come to about 25%

EDIT- German customs? are you living there?

Yep

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

yeah, just been doing a bit of reading on the parcelforce fees etc. Odd how some people have avoided duty etc, just the luck of the draw i guess. We’ll see what i get hit with when i get the bill.

bigjim

I’m curious why people expect LB to warranty damaged rims. If you dented a stan’s or a mavic whilst riding, you wouldn’t expect them to replace it for you, you’d go and buy a replacement.

happybiker
    Free Member

Just for balance I’ve had an eBay frame and LB rims delivered without the customs fees. It’s all down to luck!

MSP

I’m curious why people expect LB to warranty damaged rims. If you dented a stan’s or a mavic whilst riding, you wouldn’t expect them to replace it for you, you’d go and buy a replacement.

I think it comes down to if you have done something that you would expect could cause that damage, ie do you believe they performed in an expected manner. If I had a set of stans rims collapse on me after a bit of light xc when a couple of weeks old, I would probably suspect a manufacturing fault.

Got to say though I have been thinking about buying a third rim as a spare, even if I kill one myself, it seems about a month turnaround to get a replacement, with holidays in the alps planned, having a spare rim might be more sensible than having to buy a new mismatched wheel.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Just for balance I’ve had an eBay frame and LB rims delivered without the customs fees. It’s all down to luck!

Through parcelforce i assume?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I don’t think people are expecting LB to automatically warranty a damaged rim but they do have a 1 year warranty which they tend to honour without question, and they have also been known to replace damaged rims that were outside the warranty period so there’s certainly no harm in asking.

acid877
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – Member
    Acid – hooked or hookless?

Hookless version.

bigjim – Member

I don’t remember writing that I expect a warranty replacement? But I’d say some gesture of good will is required. I was riding it as advertised for the intended use. I haven’t been racing DH or crashing three meter drops. I didn’t had a problem with my old cheap alloy rims riding the same style.

Ideally I’d prefer to upgrade (at a cost) from my current broken 35mm rim to the new 38mm if they’re meant to be significantly stronger.

MSP

How accurate have people found the claimed ERD to be on these rims?

njee20
    Free Member

How accurate have people found the claimed ERD to be on these rims?

I ordered spokes based on the claimed ERD and hub measurements in the manual on my (American Classic) hubs, and all the spokes were too short, by 2-3mm. Not measured to check where the fault lay, but I’d suggest they may not be!

Northwind

gee – Member

That’s the thing with carbon rims – what would have dented a metal rim trashes a carbon one.

So far my experience is that what would have dented a metal rim barely leaves a mark on my carbons. A year on the back of my ragley left the original alu rim absolutely haggard but the lighter LB one with minor scratches (and that was the older, weaker version)

I will of course emo-rage if I ever do break one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Northwind +1.

I have only one experience since shifting onto these LB rims. I received 4 snakebite cuts to a 29er Hans dampf from a single rockstrike on the MacMillan way in last years Exmoor gravity enduro. They were fairly large at about 5-7mm each and took ages to fill with ‘chovies. Anyway, I couldn’t even see where the rim had cut in. No obvious marks, dents or scratches.

People don’t seem to understand that carbon rims don’t behave like metal. What will break a carbon rim would have made an alu rim an unrecoverable egg shaped mess anyway. Anything below that level of force doesn’t do much to carbon, whereas on alu, it will accumulate all the small knocks, dents scrapes and deformations that we’re all familiar with.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For anyone interested I’ve been working on a Rim tape solution for our new carbon wheels and have found a really good gorilla tape replacement were now buying in – 25mm wide but really good for 30mm+ rims, leaves much less mess than gorilla if you need to remove it and bonds well with the carbon surface for a good seal first time. Will be available from our store (shop.birdmtb.com) next week.

Hey Ben, are these on the website yet? Is it Caffe Latex tape, or something different?

cokie

Has anyone got/ordered the 29er 50mm rims?
    I’m tied between Light Bicycle and the Nextie Jungle Fox.

acid877
    Free Member

An update for my 650B 35mm rim which broken within three months of use…

LB are giving me a replacement to the new 38mm (and I’m purchasing another so I have a matching pair and a spare 35mm).

Does anyone know what spoke length I’d need to match the new 38mm to my existing DT Swiss 240s hubs please? I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone knows the answer! Working out spoke length seems a bit of a black art to me, as not all manufacturers use the same ERD measurements?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Mine have arrived at the wheelbuilder, shame the frame for them to hang off is still over a month away.
    Stuck with the 35s in the end, plenty of positive feedback and I’ve never been much of a wheel wrecker so the extra strength of the 38s seemed more than I needed.

adsh
    Free Member

My (wheelbuilders) experience of the ERD is it’s best to measure in a number of places and work out what spoke length is based on that. True ERD on my second set varies by about 1mm across the wheel.

c_klein87

after singing their praises, i’ve just been informed mine are a write-off 🙄 delamination in the bead and spoke bed, bit of a bugger, almost lasted 2years

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Mine have arrived at the wheelbuilder,

When did you order them Doug? I ordered 28/1 but dont have a tracking number yet. I was picky and asked them to get som at the lighter end of the range though 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

how many miles in 2 years? some stuff I’m happy to bin after 2 years, just depends on the use,

just had some 45mm u-shaped road things land for my brother, import/fees were £38 for reference

c_klein87

not huge mileage tbh as they were on my race bike, 2.5k miles maybe probably less, but a few were clumsy miles at the back end of 12hour races, I’m not devastated, they were early LB rims and i think things have moved on, now the question is replace with 27mm or go wider?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

When did you order them Doug? I ordered 28/1 but dont have a tracking number yet. I was picky and asked them to get som at the lighter end of the range though

29th, I think. Wheelbuilder is dealing with them direct so I can only say for certain that’s when I ordered from him, not when they got ordered from LB. But either way, pretty quick.

thered

How do the 33mm Enduro’s compare to 26″ Flow EX’s strength wise?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Do the hookless rims have the little have the UST style ridges that help prevent the tyre bead from dislodging?

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

just been online to pay the customs fees for my pair of 38mm hookless rims. £0 import duty, £26.44 in VAT and £13.50 for PF to handle the parcel. out for delivery tomorrow. All things considered i dont think thats too bad, with the exchange rate as it was the total spend was £320 for the pair or £160/rim. Just waiting for them to arrive and get them built onto a set of dt240s now.

mboy
    Free Member

I ordered spokes based on the claimed ERD and hub measurements in the manual on my (American Classic) hubs, and all the spokes were too short, by 2-3mm. Not measured to check where the fault lay, but I’d suggest they may not be!

Hmmmm

What njee said…

Fortunately I’ve not had to order any in specifically, but used Spocalc to work out 291 drive and 293 non for a rear build on a 30mm 29er rim with a claimed ERD of 600mm.

Suffice to say, the spokes are 2-3mm too short!

Work on an ERD of about 604mm (NOT 600mm) for the 30mm rims anyway…

njee20
    Free Member

Yes that’s about the same as mine. Not rebuilt them, but I have broken two nipples as there’s barely any thread in them. Any more go and I may rebuild.

DT78
    Free Member

Me too, already rebuilt rear, front has 4 cracked nipples as spokes are 2mm too short so needs to be rebuilt it lasted 18months with alloy nipples so not too bad. I think they must be quoting the erd wrong which is annoying.

bigjim

The ERD on mine was a bit out too, but I measured it before buying spokes, as Roger Musson’s book was adamant that claimed ERDs are often wrong and you must measure yourself. one rim was slightly different from teh other too. I also noticed slight variations around the same rim, I think it is to do with the inside surface of the rim being rough or not of consistent thickness. You pays your money and you takes your choice though, they’re a budget carbon product after all.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I waited and measured mine when they arrived. Had I ordered spokes as per their ERD I would have been shortshort too. Seems they quote to the ID of the rim and don’t make any allowance for the thickness of the rims itself.

From recollection, with pro2s and 35mm 29er rims we had 290 and 292.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Ive just ordered a pair, got them to define exactly what they mean by erd, its the nipple seat diameter they’re specifying, not erd. But im working on them quoting 589mm erd on their 35mm 29er, taking this as the nipple seat dia, adding a couple of mm for how far I want the spike into the nipple head, did calcs assuming an erd of 592mm.

Not got the rims yet, ordered spokes from them with the rims, lets see when they turn up.

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: not thinking, makes sense about ERDs!

Broke another two nipples today on a pair of adjacent spokes. Wheel went quite out of true, but I did another 20 miles on it, seemingly with no ill effect. New, longer, spokes now ordered for a rebuild.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.