• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Liability for a leak?
  • russ295
    Free Member

I subby to a kitchen co fitting them.
    Fitted a kitchen in a house that had solid wood flooring in march 2012. About 6 mths after I get a call that there had been a leak behind the washer and a few boards had dark stains on them. Popped in and there was 2 planks marked. Advised to lift them and replace but it’s a rental and he didn’t want the hassle at the time.
    Cue 2 month ago and had another call asking what I’m going to do about it as there is more boards marked, the owner was moving in as the tenants had trashed it and he’d get back onto me.
    He text me Friday but as of yet I’ve not replied (I’ll call him Monday).
    At the time of fitting there was no water supply in the property and all fits are “dry fits” for the kitchen company.
    He claims it was the hose on the back of the integrated washing machine that leaked.
    Any advice? I’m fully insured etc so not trying to wriggle out of anything, but not sure where I stand.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Did you fit all the appliances too?
    Connections, etc?
    If not and it was a “dry fit” as you state – tough sh**
    Anything could’ve happened in that time with him, tenants, kit being moved, repaired, etc.
    “Prove it” springs to mind….

russ295
    Free Member

The hose on the rear of the washing machine was fitted by me. But there was no running water in the property.
    My thoughts are the person doing the final connections should be checking for any leaks.

nickjb
    Free Member

Tricky one. If you fitted it but didn’t test it then you can’t say for sure you didn’t cause the issue. You expected someone else to test it. Did you tell anyone or leave a note? That said if you offered to put right earlier but he refused then its now not really your problem

project
    Free Member

Wshing mcs get moved, tennants also damage stuff deliberately, landlords always lok to chase someone for their costs.

Just ignore them.

stumpyjon

2 years on, jog on, especially given the nature of the leak.

tymbian
    Free Member

He would have to prove its your fault. For all you know anybody could if moved the washing-machine at any time.

pk13

If was a static item them it could be on you but washing machines move about a lot and get miss treatment. 2 years is far to long for tbh.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Liability for a leak?’ is closed to new replies.