Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Les Arcs (Bourg-Saint-Maurice) Accomodation Advice/Recommendations Please.
  • fbk
    Free Member

It’s that time of year again so a group of us are starting to plan a July trip to Les Arcs. We’re looking to do things on a bit of a budget so staying self catering, probably in Bourg as it’s pretty central and the late runs on Black 8 can be fun 🙂

Last time we stayed a bit out of the centre which was fine but I’m wondering if the wonderful folk on here could suggest somewhere a bit “better”. Group of 6-9 of us, all biking.

And yes I know, it would be great to stay at the White Room/TA but we’re looking to be self sufficient and maybe get a guide for a couple of days rather than do the whole package thing.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

wallop

Last year we spent two weeks at the Le Versoyen campsite. Right opposite the Super U for daily baguettes and a 5 minute ride from the funicular. we’ll be going back this July. There is also a free bus from the campsite to the bottom of the chairlift to La Rosiere.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Loft hostel was perfectly nice when we stayed in BSM the summer before last.

jameso

Le Versoyen campsite

Ahh good times, been there a few times on a budget, we camped on the grassy area opposite the Super U for 2 days once )

Steelsreal

the hospital is quite nice, you get wine with your meals……

wallop

Do tell….

RickyRah
    Free Member

The Loft hostel

+1

DPM

You can try The Chill Chalet. We’ve stayed there a couple of times through the summer. It’s behind the Tourist Info in Bourg, so just a 2 min roll down to funicular. Good prices, food options are flexible so you can self cater, be fed or eat out. Rooms and facilities good. Even a bike lock up.

fbk
    Free Member

To be honest, we camped last year for the MoH – very lucky with the weather but I think we want a bit more luxury this year 😉

Thanks for the suggestions guys – the Loft & Chill chalet both look interesting. Any more?

fbk
    Free Member

Wow, chill chalet looks nice but a bit pricey tbh. I guess summer & s/c is cheaper but even so.

Anything a little more simple?

superfli
    Free Member

You can always stay in a mobile home at Le Versoyen
    Website is being changed at the moment, so cant post a link to the mobilehomes, but they have a range of sizes and types including a chalet style to gypsy caravan type. All have hot/cold water, toilet and shower+cooking facilities.
    Whilst I stayed at Le Versoyen last year, 6 people stayed down the road in a rental chalet. I think it was this one: http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR17792.htm
    Sleeps 12 although they had 6 in it, using 1/2. Its right by Arcs Aventures for water sports too. Worked out cheaper than our place at Le Versoyen!

Brianblessed
    Free Member

google skivillaroger, I stayed there a few years ago and it was great. Sleeps up to 11 self catering.

honourablegeorge

I stayed in the Loft, was ace, comfortable, clean, big TV, big couches, pool table, secure bike lockup, the lot. If I hadn’t spent both nights in the bog with food poisoning (nothing to do with the Loft, or Bourg, I should clarify), it would have been perfect.

Susie
    Free Member

I never got wine at the hospital 🙁 Although having Campylobacter, I don’t think I would’ve wanted it.

Steelsreal

see a spleenectomy was obviously deserving of vino, mind you didn’t make up for the plates of green beans mind…

(must say this was my wife not me, I had the joy of grenoble CHU for 3 weeks, no wine!)

imnotamused
    Free Member

We stayed here after someone from this forum put us in touch with the owner. On the main road 5 mins walk tops to the centre and 1 min ride to the funicular. Good place, secure bike storage, wifi etc.

http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/europe/france/rhone-alpes/thepinkhouse.asp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are you going to be mobile? La Thuile and st foye are on my must do lists for the area. Both liftable would suggest using guide days on some of the non lift riding like col d isran or petit st Bernard worth doing but not ride up stuff.

wallop

As a couple, camping suits us more than a hostel – more privacy, see? 😉

However if I was in a group then Loft looks brilliant.

fbk
    Free Member

Just as an extra question. I don’t suppose anyone knows when the lifts open this summer? The websites all seem to be quoting 2012 dates still

scruff
    Free Member

The authorities are probably checking the lifts are French. 😯

fbk
    Free Member

Yeah – fair comment. Plus this is France – there’s plenty of time to sort a timetable out. And they probably won’t stick to it anyway 🙄

superfli
    Free Member

Yeah lift times arent publicised until very late. In fact some of the resorts hadnt updated theirs until after we’d been! Annoyingly we took the gamble of july and aug being open. We arrived beginnig of july to find a lot closed, but fortunately enough open. Your best bet is to email the resorts. They dont seem to understand the brit way of planning a holiday :O

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm. Well we’re looking at going the 6th July (they opened that weekend last year I see). Surely they can’t be opening any later than that……… oh, wait, France!

fbk
    Free Member

Just as an update. I’ve emailed several of those suggested chalets, including the chillchalet – no replies from any of them 1 week later… Guess they’re all tied up with the proper season 🙄

jonke
    Free Member

Try the goatshed. Lovely people run it and you can stay there without guiding.

luffy105
    Free Member

+1 goatshed. The owners are lovely people.

Failing that, can you not just rent an appt in 1600 or 1800? There are always bargains to be found. Don’t leave your bikes on the balconies though. They will get nicked.

fbk
    Free Member

There’s going to be 8-10 of us so don’t really fancy an apartment, plus we’d rather stay close to Bourg – there’s a bit more going on in the evening and it’s nice to finish the day with a descent, not having to worry about last lift times 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

The goatshed looks an amazing place but unfortunately a bit far out for us. Maybe we should reconsider our venue as there seem to be a lot of cracking chalets up that valley

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try St Foye, shuttles on the doorstep and a simple drive to the rest of the riding. Buy a crate of beer.

Also mobile is good to try some of the other great spots up there.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Les Arcs (Bourg-Saint-Maurice) Accomodation Advice/Recommendations Please.’ is closed to new replies.