Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leicestershire riders: Martinshaw wood: What's it like?
  • belgianbob

Like it says on the tin… (I'm looking for some local rides so I don't have to drive for an hour to get my mud and gears fix.)

silverT4
    Free Member

BB – Normally muddy, and TBH a bit lame in places. I grew up in sight of MW and cut my teeth there. Far better to go to Swithland woods, or Thringstone woods.

swampi
    Free Member

as stated, bit lame, gets very very muddy on outside paths etc, much better heading over to thringstone, some great riding in the little woods there,have a gps route of the ride there if you want it

belgianbob

Silver, Swampi; yes, I ride at cademan Woods/Grace Dieu regularly, as it's only about a mile from me (I'm in Shepshed), but I was looking to expand my repertoire. If MW isn't much cop I'll save myself a lot of riding and stay (very) local! Cheers.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

anything any good over charnwood way?

belgianbob

@tumnurkoz Not much, TBH.
    There's Grace Dieu (Thringstone Woods) which is not bad, but a bit small and cuts up VERY muddy in the wet. There's a cycle track round Beacon Hill, only half of which is really worth a ride.
    The riding of bikes is not allowed at Bradgate (BOOO…) for reasons of I-know-not-why, and it's quite well patrolled too so I tend not to bother as arguing with men in land-rovers isn't wat I do for fun.
    Ditto for Outwoods, although if you get in there in the snow it's ACE and most of the walkers I've met there have been entirely friendly about sharing the paths with me. I believe the parks and gardens police (well, in their own minds they are) have been having a clampdown on bikes there of late as well.
    Swithland woods are ok, but there are only a couple of legal routes through (Bridleways) and the singletrack footpaths are mostly off limits (If they catch you, that is).

I think most folks round here ride on public footpaths, as there aren't many bridleways, and it's virtually accepted practice, but it would be nice to have some LEGAL singletrack.

So, as a result, I usually head over to Cannock and get my legal high in the company of other like-minded folks, or mix it up with some Peaks riding.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

just got back from a mixed road/bridleway round here (Hinckley ish) and it actually wasn't as bad as i expected. not been too wet though i guess

Merlinman

Cademan and Whitwick are bone dry at the moment – only problem is the fallen leaves hide the dog chod 🙁

Don't park in the top car park by Sharpley Rocks unless
    1. You're a 'dogger'
    2. You're cruising for a gay partner
    3. You need your car broken into

Park on The Green at Thringstone and enjoy Ruby's afterwards.

Happy to guide the odd visitor round; none of it is strictly legal but small groups seem to be accepted by locals and the landowners alike.

Email in profile 🙂

belgianbob

There's always dog crap galore up there, Merlinman!
    I know all about that car park, it's part of local lore…
    Haven't been up in a while and was thinking of going up at the weekend. Fancy a spin?

Merlinman

BB – I tend to be an early bird; tied up shed moving Sat am but could do Sun am – or one evening next week – followed by a pint?

belgianbob

Sun AM might be a bit sketchy, as it's a mate's B'day on saturday night… a night in the week could work though. Wednesday or Thursday are best for me (I'll charge up the lights!)

belgianbob

If early really works for you, I work from home (self employed) so can easily do mornings in the week…

Merlinman

YGM – and Wed evening would be OK for me as well 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leicestershire riders: Martinshaw wood: What's it like?’ is closed to new replies.