Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lefty top-out *after* bearing re-set :/
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Bought 2nd hand lefty, sent to TF for service before trying it out – all good when returned/fitted. 1st time I did a bearing re-set it was topping out afterwards… Any subsequent re-sets have made no difference to this :/

Any ideas? Aside from send to Tony/Thumbprint/wherever it is he’s working now 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Bump!

Bump!

Bump!

That’s how it goes :/

Bump!

peteimpreza

Err speak to TF?

z1ppy

I have a well used one that does that, I asume the bearings need resizing (replacing).. [edit] I say well used but the internal have been replaced not that usage wise (upgrade) but bearing re-sizing isn’t part of standard a service (as you pay extra for that)..hense why I believe needs the bearing replaced

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cheers zips, that could be something to go on

amedias
    Free Member

I don’t see why bearing resizing/tuning would cause a top out clunk? All it would do is affect the friction/preload on the rollers which can mean quicker migration, or play/rattle if waaaay too loose, but shouldn’t cause a ‘top out’ like the OP described immediately after being properly reset.

FWIW I have one in the loft that does this, been meaning to take it down to Tony for months but not got around to it yet, I’m suspecting a missing or damaged top out bumper in there somewhere as the other identical one doesn’t do it.

What model is it?

Trimix
    Free Member

These forks regularly seem to give their owners problems. None of them get resolved. Which is a shame, the forks look amazing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

are you resetting it enough? measurements are in the Cannondale literature

z1ppy

amedias – Member
    I don’t see why bearing resizing/tuning would cause a top out clunk

I can only tell you that “you do the bearing reset” when it starts to do the top out clunk, so my logic is that if the reset isn’t working, shirely it points to the bearings being the most likely suspect..

Trimix – Member
    These forks regularly seem to give their owners problems. None of them get resolved. Which is a shame, the forks look amazing.

Untrue, I’ve had years of great service from mine, but have never needed a bearing service.. so really it’s been long overdue (as with any fork), but as it’s been relegated due to my own changed cycling prioritises, so I haven’t bothered.. though I’d love a newer Supermax! Shirely one of the longest production runs for a fork, been produced in many forms since 2000

amedias
    Free Member

are you resetting it enough? measurements are in the Cannondale literature

I was making an assumption that he was, but good point, worth checking that you are fully resetting it OP!

Also, depending on model check the damper shaft thread/connection to make sure it’s fully tight and no slop there.

The reset just moves the needle roller cartridge back to their original position, once reset there is no reason it would top out until they’ve migrated again, and that wouldn’t happen immediately.

If might continue to top out if one of the roller cartridges didn’t reset but then that would also be apparent by doing the normal measurements so I don’t think it’s a reset issue unless the OP has other issues like reduced travel/length as well.

In my experience (~8 leftys over 15 years) the bearings are the most reliable bit, I’ve only ever needed one set replaced/repaired, it’s entirely possible there is a bearing issue but it doesn’t sound like if it’s resetting normally and to correct length, unless you perhaps have a damaged cartridge race or a retaining clip has moved/lodged in which case Zippy may be onto something pointing fingers at the bearing, but I imagine you’d ‘feel something’ amiss in the travel if that were the case. .

If OP comes back with model then may shed more light…

what a load of moopoo 🙂 and who says their problems aren’t resolved?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lefty top-out *after* bearing re-set :/’ is closed to new replies.